15xx liveries

Hi all,

Quite tempted with the upcoming Rapido 15XX. I could, at a push, include one on my layout but it would have to depict a brand new loco.

I see Rapido is offering a G.W.R. green livery which I'm sure must be a what-if. So out of the other livery options they're offering was the class' delivery scheme plain black (unlettered, unlined); lined black (early emblem) or a combination of both on different locos as they were outshopped? Did any received the "BRITISH RAILWAYS" lettering? A built date of July 1949 would put it right on the cusp of the introduction of the lion+wheel crest right? And the GWR.org livery pages note that Panniers 1503–5 were lined, but doesn't note whether that was from their build dates or later on in the BR period.

Would appreciate a steer.

Thanks,

Will

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Delivered in plain black, early crest.

Original condition here.

https://1501pta.jimdofree.com/7-locomotive-history/

The lined examples came later for engines that worked as Station Pilots at Paddington. The rest were usually filthy.

Jason

Looks  like 1501 at least was delivered with no crest.

• RMweb Gold

No crest was not unusual in early BR days on the Western Region, and photographic evidence shows 4557 at Tondu in no-crest plain black during this period.  Photos of it at Whitland, it's next xfer, show LNW-style mixed traffic lining and a small unicycling lion, so it must have visited works at around the time of the xfer.  Even some named tender locomotives appeared like this.

Livery variations on the plain black 15xx dock shunters would include red-backed number plates.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I could be wrong on this but I seem to remember reading that 1501 never got a crest and stayed in plain black during its entire working life with BR up to the point it was sold to the NCB, the lined black with crest it has now being a purely preservation-era livery.

Edited by Corbs

2 minutes ago, Corbs said:

I could be wrong on this but I seem to remember reading that 1501 never got a crest and stayed in plain black during its entire working life with BR up to the point it was sold to the NCB, the lined black with crest it has now being a purely preservation-era livery.

I think it was the lining which is preservation exclusive. Appears to be unlined black with crest in the below

EAF47953-C6C6-4F64-B244-7A1D628B1878.jpeg.d63dfe8bc0ae33bd653b19a9100391e4.jpeg

not my photo, if copyright holder would like it taken down then it will be, please just let me know 

• Like 2