Eagle Street in O

Ian Holmes

It’s time for another project to break cover. I really think that something might come of this one.

Over the past few years I have been slowly accumulating 2 rail O scale track and stock for a US outline layout. I’ve had many ideas for the scheme, but until recently the real germ of inspiration eluded me. 

Then a couple of weeks ago, I (and many others on Facebook,) was captivated by pictures of Eagle Street on the New Orleans Water and Sewerage Board Railroad. 

With street running, short trains pulled by small locomotives, (Boxcab electrics, if you want to go back far enough) it really seems like a project for the space starved modeller in any scale. 

After spending some time reading Mike Cougill’s book “Mill Road” I decided that a project like Eagle Street would tick all the boxes. Simple switching of a tuning fork trackplan and a run through some interesting  urban scenery. A preliminary draft of the trackplan is outlined blow.

52573799514_44eaede989_b.jpg

As for size, I won’t know exactly until I get everything I want to fit in there, in.  I would like a decent length of street running in front of shops houses and bars. I feel I’ll know what’s right when I see it. Eight or nine feet long maybe. Perhaps one foot to 15 inches deep.  That depends what I’d like out of the low relief buildings.

As per usual, there’s a blog for you to check out for detailed reporting. https://eaglestreetino.blogspot.com

Shorter reports will appear here and on my model railway facebook page. The Model Railways of Ian Holmes.

If you’re not aware of the location a Google search for “New Orleans Water and Sewerage Board Railroad” should interest you.

Ian

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Ian, I took a few quick photos on my loft layout today to show what you get for 9ft in O scale...

From the far end, the tape is locked at 9ft.

20221221_153250.jpg.e6a66f58fd2d564aa8fc29a052f2e365.jpg

20221221_153127.jpg.f84499646c26568664fc441a982a0267.jpg

The fenced yard is 3ft 4", then from the gates to the switch ground throw is another 3ft.

20221221_153205.jpg.7b997545b24e9e7766c974138fab75f7.jpg

20221221_153225.jpg.2b849a0a78f88548f828691751fe4df9.jpg

Of course I am using mostly 50ft & longer rolling stock. The switch is a #6. The straight boards are 19" wide. Narrower boards, shorter cars and different scenic treatment will make your layout look longer. 👍🙂

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 3

Re thoughts on your blog about road width... my first US O layout was 15ft x 1ft, using old Lima track. It was set alongside a road, with the 'arrival' track set in the road itself. However the road was so narrow that no autos could be placed on that section with trains on it, and the street running effect was a bit lost.

1354076118_PortwayTRR006.jpg.dd68bce8b9bfe0b2f399f238da64e48a.jpg

For myself, I'd try & make the roadway you plan wide enough so that cars & trucks can share it with trains at the same time, even if it's by showing them 'parked' at the kerb side. That way an essential element of street running atmosphere is retained. 

Just a thought. 🙂

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

Some musings on researching the buildings for the layout. https://eaglestreetino.blogspot.com/2022/12/want-to-buy-house.html

For the row of company houses on my HO Cuban layout I found some on various secondhand stands at a NMRA meet and 3d printed verandas and canopies. 

Looking at eBay there is a "1:50 model village house" that could be a good starting point, not sure if it is available in the US as my phone defaults to the app and my location over here.

On 19/12/2022 at 18:19, Ian Holmes said:

If you’re not aware of the location a Google search for “New Orleans Water and Sewerage Board Railroad” should interest you.

I just found this page for the railroad...

https://hawkinsrails.net/industrials/noswb/noswb.html

Those tiny boxcab locos are incredible - never has "boxcab" sounded more appropriate!! It would make a great scratchbuilding project, but have a prototype photo to hand to wave at non-believers. 🤣

• Like 2

• 1 month later...