Kit Built Crane - Help Needed

Dad-1

Now I have my doubts BUT .........

I inherited a load of stuff from a late friend, much of it very old and I had to scrap quite a lot.

However I'm reluctant to scrap this Crane, almost certainly kit built.

IMG_4652.JPG.087dd05fe9bdcc2c0b9bb2c3473b21cb.JPG

The lifting windings would be quite complex and I have no idea how they would have been 'wired'

IMG_4653.JPG.c57128bd3d2b180c40b97c6fa1b66a43.JPG

I assume there was once a pair of match trucks and probably a jib supporting truck, things I don't seem to have.

However I fancy sitting this on a 'Blind' siding at the back of a yard, but for that I need a wiring plan.

Has anyone seen this kit before ?? It could be any time from the mid 1950's as with it was the Hornby Dublo crane C/W match

trucks. That now working although not for use on my rails !!

Geoff T.

9 minutes ago, Dad-1 said:

Now I have my doubts BUT .........

I inherited a load of stuff from a late friend, much of it very old and I had to scrap quite a lot.

However I'm reluctant to scrap this Crane, almost certainly kit built.

IMG_4652.JPG.087dd05fe9bdcc2c0b9bb2c3473b21cb.JPG

The lifting windings would be quite complex and I have no idea how they would have been 'wired'

IMG_4653.JPG.c57128bd3d2b180c40b97c6fa1b66a43.JPG

I assume there was once a pair of match trucks and probably a jib supporting truck, things I don't seem to have.

However I fancy sitting this on a 'Blind' siding at the back of a yard, but for that I need a wiring plan.

Has anyone seen this kit before ?? It could be any time from the mid 1950's as with it was the Hornby Dublo crane C/W match

trucks. That now working although not for use on my rails !!

Geoff T.

That's interesting. I wonder who's it was?

Hi The Johnster,

I do agree, but how the heck is the jib raising cable arrangement set up ??

3 rollers each side at the head

2 rollers each side by the steam drive.

Surely they must be interconnected to stay 100% in movement unison.

Not a thing to see easily in photographs of similar jib raising prototypes.

Geoff T.

7 minutes ago, Dad-1 said:

Hi The Johnster,

I do agree, but how the heck is the jib raising cable arrangement set up ??

3 rollers each side at the head

2 rollers each side by the steam drive.

Surely they must be interconnected to stay 100% in movement unison.

Not a thing to see easily in photographs of similar jib raising prototypes.

Geoff T.

I see a perfectly normal, albeit simplified, jib raising set-up.

What I see are four pairs of pulleys - two at the jib-head, and two on beams - which should be pointing towards the jib.

Separate rigging would connect the pulleys on each side of the jib, and be wound onto the twin rear winding drums.

Quite a sophisticated arrangement when compared to the, probably later, Hornby Dublo model.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

Thanks, both of you,

I've been doing some looking around and think this may be based on the Ransomes & Rapier CM&EE breakdown crane at the Nene Valley Railway. D2958 (1931)

cctransuk, or plain John, It may be the normal arrangement, but I've never seen one of these myself.

My crane experience has been reclaiming a Triang 10 ton hand operated, building a Cambrian GWR crane

kit, and replacing 'cables' on the HD crane.

I thought this may be far too interesting to dump. Have you any idea who made these brass kits ? Not

that any runners, or information will be around nowadays, just nice to know.

Melmurby, combined info may get me somewhere - quite where is still unknown !! Although an old friend

of mine is trained up to driver on the Nene Valley, so perhaps he can get me more photos sometime.

6 minutes ago, Dad-1 said:

Thanks, both of you,

I've been doing some looking around and think this may be based on the Ransomes & Rapier CM&EE breakdown crane at the Nene Valley Railway. D2958 (1931)

cctransuk, or plain John, It may be the normal arrangement, but I've never seen one of these myself.

My crane experience has been reclaiming a Triang 10 ton hand operated, building a Cambrian GWR crane

kit, and replacing 'cables' on the HD crane.

I thought this may be far too interesting to dump. Have you any idea who made these brass kits ? Not

that any runners, or information will be around nowadays, just nice to know.

Melmurby, combined info may get me somewhere - quite where is still unknown !! Although an old friend

of mine is trained up to driver on the Nene Valley, so perhaps he can get me more photos sometime.

It is 'based' on the standard general arrangement of rigging of heavier lift cranes, dating back more than one century.

I wouldn't waste too much time looking for a recognisable prototype - this is an 'interpretation' of a railway breakdown crane.

CJI.

• Like 1

Hi ianLMS,

That's brilliant, I hope the instructions and diagrams will get me there.

Ahh CJI, "Based on" is a very open discription, but as a siding filler I'd suggest good enough.

Geoff T.

That is without doubt a fascinating model, but I'd be surprised if it is kit-built, I think it's more likely to be scratchbuilt. If it is from a kit, it is from such a rare and low-volume kit that in 60 years I haven't seen another one.

It is evidently intended to be a model of a Ransomes & Rapier crane (the bridle gear is uniquely R&R) but the layout of the shafts is not entirely consistent. It also clearly should have a pair of relieving bogies.

If you visit the Breakdown Crane Association website at www.bdca.org.uk and go to the gallery you will find many inspirational photos of R&R and other cranes.

• Like 1