Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Formula 1 2023

didcot

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

Well that sprint race really livened things up for the fans said no one. They really are a waste of time and Max being 9 seconds ahead in just 19 laps doesn't bode well for the GP although it may take him a couple of laps to get into the lead.

Yes, but Lewis 8 seconds ahead of Leclerc isn't so familiar in recent races. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

It's great to see the gap between Max and the rest closing but it's only because the rest are still bringing upgrades whilst RB can forget about this season and concentrate on next year's car so they'll kick off with a massive headstart in a car already the best.

That said good to see Lewis back and Lando getting another podium.

George really does seem to be tailing off as the season progresses.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Just reading the headlines (at midnight US Eastern time).

Just lost for words.

Were all cars checked?   I’ll bet half the field, if not more, had worn planks due to the sprint race and the track, not just Ferrari and Mercedes.  Were they all not scrutineered after the sprint and before the GP?  They were in parc ferm´e.   

I’m seriously worried about the FIA and the stewards.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Plank-wear DQs used to be regular spoilers, but not for many seasons now. Yet again the stupid Sprint format, with parc fermé conditions imposed much earlier in the weekend, has unexpected disbenefits. 

Sergeant's point is the first by a US driver in 30 years!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The Sprints are there solely to get more bums on seats on the Saturday, with a short race these half-interested folk will understand, so it's all about income for the circuit, so the Commercial Rights Holder can screw more out of them. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The Sprints are there solely to get more bums on seats on the Saturday, with a short race these half-interested folk will understand, so it's all about income for the circuit, so the Commercial Rights Holder can screw more out of them. 

I often hear the "solution where no problem exists" argument banded about incorrectly but I believe this is really one of those situations.

There have always been plenty of fans at circuits over the weekend. Many have 3 day passes & others have just gone to watch the practise & qualifying sessions anyway, especially with all practise session now being broadcast live on TV. Turning 1 of these into a race has attracted very few, if any, extra supporters.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I often hear the "solution where no problem exists" argument banded about incorrectly but I believe this is really one of those situations.

There have always been plenty of fans at circuits over the weekend. Many have 3 day passes & others have just gone to watch the practise & qualifying sessions anyway, especially with all practise session now being broadcast live on TV. Turning 1 of these into a race has attracted very few, if any, extra supporters.

Only time I've ever seen an F1 car on the move in person was at a test session, the week before the Grand Prix. I was at Cranfield at the time, not a million miles from Silverstone, and someone heard that there were some free to go to practice sessions, so off a bunch of us went.

Only found out as we were leaving that you could get free earplugs.

• Like 2

So two cars, from two different teams, were tampered with between the spraint race and the proper race such that their floors were rendered illegal?  More like a bumpy track took its toll over race distance and the capricious stewards saw an opportunity to disregard the result on track.

Favouritism?  Sure.  Max should have had 5 seconds for forcing Le Clerc off the track.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1