Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Formula 1 2023

didcot

50 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Been a while since Kyalami last hosted a Grand Prix, would it be possible to change it to current standards?

I believe F1 are more likely to want a race on the streets of Cape Town in line with their policy of having ‘destination’ events.

See also, Madrid, Miami, Las Vegas, Baku, Abu Dhabi, Monaco.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, SteveM666 said:

Having experienced a few street shows in Africa a rally event may be more appropriate -Safari Rally not Dakar.

After a holiday in East Africa, my dad asked “which side of the road do they drive on?” The answer was a mix of “any bl@@dy side they like and the one with fewest potholes”.

Sounds like Mansfield ......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SteveM666 said:

I believe F1 are more likely to want a race on the streets of Cape Town in line with their policy of having ‘destination’ events.

See also, Madrid, Miami, Las Vegas, Baku, Abu Dhabi, Monaco.

Sadly true. I'll give Monaco a pass simply because of historical precedent (although it would be mad to suggest a race there now if there never had been one), but the rest, urgh. Well, Baku occasionally throws up something interesting, and I really rather like the utter craziness of the castle section. But generally I do find them all pretty much lacking, although to be fair I mostly lost interest in F1 long before this trend started.

If they want races to be events there needs to be fewer races too IMO.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Hroth said:

A Birmingham Grand Prix based around the Gravelly Hill Interchange would be most entertaining....

Even more so if the drivers had to adhere to the lane speed restrictions on the gantries which as per the real thing randomly switch between national speed limit and 40 mph with a 5 second penalty for each breach.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hobby said:

I see Horner got a CBE for outstanding moaning throughout the season...

Or was it for something else?!  ;)

At least Ron's knighthood was justified...

We need to be mindful that what we see in the media does not reflect what really goes on.

All team principals without exception fight for any advantage they can get for their team, whether this is explaining their engineers' unique 'interpretation' to a regulation, trying to get their opponents caught out for an infringement or making a radio call to the stewards. If they were not pushing in all areas, they would not be doing their job properly.

We only usually hear about the top 2 teams because the media have always liked to stir things between them & this has not changed.

Many of the quotes we see doing the rounds are also from months or even years ago but, because we see them every day, many seem to think that those concerned are seeking media attention.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

We need to be mindful that what we see in the media does not reflect what really goes on.

All team principals without exception fight for any advantage they can get for their team, whether this is explaining their engineers' unique 'interpretation' to a regulation, trying to get their opponents caught out for an infringement or making a radio call to the stewards. If they were not pushing in all areas, they would not be doing their job properly.

We only usually hear about the top 2 teams because the media have always liked to stir things between them & this has not changed.

Many of the quotes we see doing the rounds are also from months or even years ago but, because we see them every day, many seem to think that those concerned are seeking media attention.

I accept what you say in the first paragraph to some extent, but, as an example, compare and contrast interviews with Horner and Wolff. Wolff always seems to come across as reasonable and thoughtful, even when his driver has been done down, Horner though is a constant moaner, and I'm not talking about prepared interviews but the ones we've seen live after the races which show the true side of a person. Can you really imagine Horner as being as restrained as Wolff was after the debacle in 2021, I certainly can't. I feel you are trying to defend the impossible.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I think it's important to take personal bias out of the equation.

I fully agree in not liking Horner, for the same reasons as you state @Hobby

However, not liking someone isn't a reason for them to not be recognised for the work they do or what they have achieved. Red Bull fans will be over the moon with the news. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/12/2023 at 14:09, Hobby said:

I see Horner got a CBE for outstanding moaning throughout the season...

Or was it for something else?!  ;)

Puts him in good company?

(Who is more toxic - Horner or Vennells?)

• Funny 1