Deltics acting strangely

JPinza55

Hi, Three of my AS Deltic's (DCC Sound) have started to suddenly perform very strangely. All three are now running very jerkily, accelerating/decelerating too quickly, sudden increases and decreases of speed, and often running at a speed contrary to the controller input.

My other Deltics (and all other locos) are still running ok so I'm not sure if its track issue or the models themselves malfunctioning. In one case the engine was running fine for a while and then started to jerk violently, before running ok and then again jerking.

Does this sound like a dirty track/wheels problem, a track connectivity issue or something else?

• Friendly/supportive 1

Dirty rails should affect all the locos whether sound fitted or not.  Of course jerky running might be more apparent on sound fitted locos as interruptions to sound supply will be audible too.

Dirty wheels/pickup issues would only affect the loco(s) concerned; but if some locos have been used more than others, they may be dirtier.  As regards the one that was jerking violently and then OK then jerking again, I'd be inclined to suspect pickups or a foreign body interfering with something mechanically.

Problems with the track feeds are likely to be apparent more in some part of the layout and not elsewhere, except if it's the connection of the track supply bus to the controller.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, thetrains said:

Mine DC and others DC&DCC at local MRC seem to do this after about 5 to 10 minutes use, even off track.  Few vids on Youtube of the 92 doing similar, mine is behaving same as my long departed S15.  I'm just going to live with it, as I don't normally have running continuously ,only really found out from club so tried it at home on my roundy roundy layout.

Thanks for that, having checked out those videos and the comments it does seem to be the same problems, the locos are pulling too many amps. Will look to send back for repair now.