An O gauge station for Barry

Halton Boy

Hello Mike

But note that in reality you don't really need those FPL levers on a model 0 they're only really of any use for interlocking (between levers) purposes because you won't have working FPLs
I will omit the real FPL, trap points and Levers.
The position of the levers in the frame is clear now.

The order in which levers are worked has to be as follows -
For an arriving train pull 4, 7, and 1 in that order. (if there is any sort of electrical interlocking between lever functions 4 will prevent Point 1P moving, 7 will prevent point 2P moving and 1 will prevent lever 10, Points 4 P from moving.  Also, Lever 11 needs to be at normal and levers 5 and 8 need to be at normal

For a train departing from the platform pull lever 11.  That should, if there is any sort of interlocking between lever functions 11 will prevent points 1P, 2P and 4P from moving as well as preventing lever 1 from moving.

I'll ignore the interlocking/control of other function from now on (but see further down in the post)
 For shunt movement from the main line to the goods sidings pull levers 5, 4 and 2 in that order. (pulling 4 would not be required on some older) real lever frames
Good siding to main line pull levers 5 and 6 in that order
For shunt movement to runround loop pull levers 8, 7. 9 in that order. (Pulling 8 would not be required on some older real lever frames
Run round loop to main line pull levers 8 and 9 in that order
To release an engine to run round in the platform line pull lever 10.
Note that if normal (i.e. full size railway) interlocking is provided on a lever frame pulling lever No.10 should lock at normal lever No. 8 as it sets a conflicting route.
I now understand how the Levers are operated.

The DCC Concepts levers don't allow any sort of interlocking between the levers - not that it is a problem - you are dealing with a model railway, not the real world.  However because of the various switching contacts within the levers (and possibly with the addition of a few relays??) you can provide a sort of interlocking between the functions worked by the levers.  So for example the signal worked by lever No.1 won’t go to clear unless Levers  4 and 7 have been operated and levers 5, 8 and 10 are in their normal position.  It really is a decision about how deeply you want to get involved in this sort of thing and the over 
whelming majority of modellers often seem to encounter getting signals in the correct position let alone providing any interlocking of any sort between them and each other or between them and the position of points.  Personally, for a layout like this for a relative newcomer(?) to the hobby I wouldn't bother and would just be careful if taking photos.
Barry is a newcomer and it would better if things were simple to build and operate.
I understand that there is no mechanical interlocking with DCC Concepts.

As far as the engine of an arriving train running round is concerned the train has to fit between the fouling points at points 2P and 4P.  I.e., there has to be sufficient room at both of those points for an engine running round to get past the train it has just brought into the station.  if there isn't that much room then the engine can't run round and everything comes to a halt.

The more I think about some of the movements which will take place, the more I think the run round loop should be extended to end level with the platform line stop blocks and have a release crossover instead of just a point.  By extending the loop it will give more headroom to shunt the dairy siding without the chance of the shunt colliding with a train standing in the platform.
I will look again at the plan and keeping in mind what you have said I will rework it so that it is easier to operate and works correctly.
It could be that the best plan is to model a reduced version of the station as it was.

Thank you for your help.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Halton Boy said:

Hello Phil

Yes I understand what you are saying. Below are two amened plans:

The problem are the points on the baseboard joins.

I have another idea which I will post and will let Barry and everyone decide which works best.1026558414_Cleveamended20123.jpg.a468de6caa9037eba671d8ff0f734a77.jpg1362520858_Cleveamendedagain20123.jpg.2889393c872d4f2f89c41be23d0e1cc1.jpg

Hi (Ken?)

Quick feedback:

The coal and water spur now creates a trap for the goods yard so no need for the dummy trap any more! (Hooray!)

Now that you have two turnouts back to back in the yard they could be replaced by a double slip. That would help to shorten the turnout ladder, give you longer sidings and even up the baseboard sizes in the second plan. (So worth the expense.)

The second track plan is better because it gives you room to shunt the dairy sensibly but the turnout leading to the dairy would be better the other way around, or even perhaps a Y to share the deviation equally.

The second plan has a huge baseboard in the middle again (but see above).

Not far away from a really good, workable plan and no need to extend the baseboards!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 1

Hello Phil

I have amended the plan again. I have put a water outlet by the platform headshunt for passenger engines.

I have left the  spur not defined so that Barry can put what he wants there.

The only thing I am not happy with are the base board joins. They cut across a lot of tracks.

Thank you for your help.427510813_Clevefinal.jpg.964819a13dde4a6a4a87c89eb3d317eb.jpg 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Halton Boy said:

Hello Phil

I have amended the plan again. I have put a water outlet by the platform headshunt for passenger engines.

I have left the  spur not defined so that Barry can put what he wants there.

Not just for passenger engines - doesn't matter what sort of train they are working they all need water.  It would probably be better to site the water crane on the run-round loop and keep of clear the pl;atform ads engines will have to stand there for a few mi inutes taking water and at the same tom the Fireman might want to pull down coal and possibly clean the fire a bit.  And of course all trains will arrive at the platform bevause it;;s the only place an engine can run round.

One minor signalling item has git lost with teh arric val of the double slip.  The end of the slip nearest go the goods shed will still work as the trap point and will require a ground signal for e moves out onto the main line.  different companies signalled this in different and the same company probably changed the way it would signal it over the years so keep it simple and just have the one ground disc as previously - that will be right for some company at some time!

• Like 2

Hello Mike

Thank you and everyone for your help.

Barry is coming down in about two weeks time with the timber which I will cut for him.

I think it would be better if he could find a permanent home for the layout so he can avoid the joins in the track.

I have enjoyed this exercise and will be starting a new and different type of topic called Stations in O Gauge.

Thank you everyone.1269816299_Clevestation5.jpg.b9bad626e7253c99b03ca7d4ffb0714a.jpg 

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to be a nit-picker but the latest plan isn't very smooth. There are curves required to make the fixed geometry turnouts work and that means that it looks unrealistic because in the real world things mostly worked the other way around - the turnouts fitted the curves. 

Most of the problems are around the double slip. Turning it anti-clockwise a few degrees might help and that should allow you to move it closer to the main line, which would look much better, I think.

The whole plan could also be moved down except the coal yard siding and that would make better use of the space, give more room in the FY and more space between the goods shed line and the coal yard line.

BTW: It's a shame that the main line is dead straight. Looking along the platform line will give you a view straight into the FY and wagons/coaches won't articulate against each other. Coaches in particular will only move in one axis for their entire life on the layout! A very slight turn would be great if you could do it.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2