Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Recommendation for card glue

MarcD

• RMweb Gold

I found UHU a bit stringy so stopped using it for card. Have been using Bostik recently.

Edited by john new
Misspelt Bostik with a c earlier.

@MarcDspecifically asked about Scalescenes no one glue meets all the requirements. You have overlays to add as well as standard card gluing. Like @john newI find standard  UHU too stringy and tend to use Bostick. For overlays I use Prittstick I also have PVA glue in my armoury but it can cause inkjet printed sheets to bleed. Some people do use super glue for smaller items. The other trick commonly used is to print on A4 sticky paper.

One essential is a roller to ensure there are no bubbles left in your overlays.

• Like 1

So Bostick for the heavy card and pritstick for the paper. I like the idea of printing it on self adhesive paper but at I will need 30 sheets of the stuff for this project it might be a bit expensive.

Marc 

I'm firmly in the camp of self adhesive A4 labels. I buy them from Rymans or similar outlets - not singly, you get a box of 25 for £11.99. They stick well to plasticard which I use rather than car, more suitable for use in my garage. I use matt varnish from a diy shop to seal them after building.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I print on to thin card, postcard thickness, rather than paper, I find that makes it easier to handle for gluing, I use ordinary PVA, I have a selection of marker pens to "kill" the white edges, I finish off with several coats of matt acrylic craft sealer from Hobbycraft, I then do any weathering and a final matt spray to finish. The free small brick building is a good way to practice.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, john new said:

I found UHU a bit stringy so stopped using it for card. Have been using Bostik recently.

What I forgot to add as a suggestion is spray mount as used in the art/photography area. Not done a scalescenes style kit for a while but I have used spray mount extensively over the years for fixing  paper sheet photo prints to mounting card.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I use UHU stick to glue the whole sheets of paper to the thick and medium cardd, I have found it a good idea to glue all the pages I will use for at kit at the start and leave them to fry between two hardbacj books with heavy wieghts on top overnight. This prevents warping- I then spray the whole sheets with matt varnish. When gluing card together I use Bostik pva wood glue.

On 12/01/2023 at 18:11, MarcD said:

Having never built a Scalescenes printable kit before can anyone recommend a glue to used in construction?  Normally I would use PVA.

Marc

Marc,

I've had no problems using clear PVA for both inkjet printed paper (100 gsm) and cardboard (~0.5mm thick cereal packets). I used to use pritt-sticks (or at least clones thereof), but I'm much preferring the clear PVA. I either apply directly to the card / paper and spread using a small paintbrush or decant some into a small dish, and 'paint' it on from there. The former is better for large areas, and the latter for small ones.

This whole bespoke building I recently completed for my layout is inkjet paper and cereal packets (and offcuts of Peco turnout packets for the glazing):

IMG_20230112_164622_resize.jpg.b16f9f6a314202ae1d2ec0d9f9a3eb93.jpg

If you keep the PVA in a thin even layer (hence the use of a paintbrush) it doesn't cause any 'bleeding' of the inkjet prints.

Ian

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I thoroughly recommend  'Roket' Card Glue from Deluxe Materials.

I have used this for several years now, and it has worked very well.

I use this for all my re-cycled card/printed paper construction, with Bostik for brass-to-card/card-to-plastic/other-mixed bonding.

The picture below is a bit old now, I wasn't able to build much in 2022

Post_14.jpg.de37152d6ad71f0c2f9073f286d7ab39.jpg

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Pritt Stick for gluing the paper to the card (just need a small roller to squeeze out the excess/lumpy bits to get a smooth top surface), then Deluxe Models Card Glue for gluing the structure together I found worked really well. The Rocket Glue is superb stuff, glues clear and is quick to set.

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JamFjord said:

Has anyone tried wallpaper paste for sticking the printouts to card? Thought I'd ask before I order a packet...

I'd imagine that the high water content of the wallpaper paste would cause 'problems' with the printouts, unless a suitably high gsm paper was used (>150gsm?). Those 'problems' would include bleeding of the inkjet printout and/or excessive softening of the paper.

For any 'large' areas of gluing inkjet printouts to carboard I use either pritt-stick (other manufacturers are available) or clear PVA glue applied with a brush (just a nice thin film, no 'puddles'). In both cases, I'd apply the glue to the carboard, not the printout.

My choice these days is clear PVA as it's easy to apply with a brush and is very cheap at The Works (other suppliers are available).

Ian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

grab some of the Metcalf applicators

Those look quite neat. I'm still leaning towards a small paintbrush as it lets me 'spread' the glue at the same time as application. However, I have to admit those applicators would result in less waste glue.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I use Anita's Tacky glue (sets in about 20 seconds) put onto the card, never the paper, and for large areas I use a piece of spare card as a spreader. Be aware even then the paper will expand slightly. If I'm sticking stone texture onto the card I let a rough application of glue dry first to give some texture.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good tips, all - cheers. I too have been using PVA, but for Metcalfe kits, along with Deluxe Roket Card for trickier bits, both applied with fine applicator, so I think I'll stick with those for the printable download kits. Thought it might be worth trying wallpaper paste, but I hadn't considered the bleed issue. It sounds like I might want to try Anita's Tacky Glue though, I like the texture idea.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JamFjord said:

It sounds like I might want to try Anita's Tacky Glue though, I like the texture idea.

Anita's Tacky Glue also sticks paper/cardboard to styrene/acetate (eg: for glazing) whereas PVA doesn't.

Ian

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1