GWR Edwardian design and printing

8 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I think the front tank step came in with the '5 and a half' segment (extended) tanks, and these date back quite a way. (Not sure exactly when.)

This is the main picture I am using, from page 99 of the locos book, which shows the front step.

1752.jpg.c89a3c74f1d8218d41932fd638f80055.jpg

10 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

The lid on the top of the sandbox should be an ellipse, not a rectangle.

I was not aware of that.

10 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I can't find any evidence of a front tank step on a 5-segment 1854.

see picture

There should be a handrail on the footplate between (side elevation) the front and middle splashers.

There is still a lot of little details still to add, and more I dig the more I find, plus the helpful tips I get here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The most contentious area of saddle tank design is the tank cross-section. Judging by the build span (1890-5), I am reasonably sure the 1854 saddle cabs were 8' wide, but I've have not seen a good end elevation for the class, and the saddle tank end elevations that do exist do not match most of the 1854/2721 photographic evidence. These two pics show how much narrower the 1854 tanks were than the cabs. I would estimate these tanks are 7'2" wide. That said, it's probably certain that some 1854 locos ran with different width tanks at various times. 

1736-laira-c1904-crop.jpg.0cd4321511822d531b2be86b26a088dc.jpg

1873-small.jpg.1e8ca4760d8deed5d51f0f75eb1f414b.jpg

There was considerable variation in cab fronts on saddle tanks, even within the same class. Note the extra large spectacles on 1736 (at Laira, 1904). 1873 has a short tank, an old-style cylinder cover and an early injector.

• Like 1

The most contentious area of saddle tank design is the tank cross-section. Judging by the build span (1890-5), I am reasonably sure the 1854 saddle cabs were 8' wide, but I've have not seen a good end elevation for the class, and the saddle tank end elevations that do exist do not match most of the 1854/2721 photographic evidence. These two pics show how much narrower the 1854 tanks were than the cabs. I would estimate these tanks are 7'2" wide. That said, it's probably certain that some 1854 locos ran with different width tanks at various times. 

1736-laira-c1904-crop.jpg.0cd4321511822d531b2be86b26a088dc.jpg

1873-small.jpg.1e8ca4760d8deed5d51f0f75eb1f414b.jpg

There was considerable variation in cab fronts on saddle tanks, even within the same class. Note the extra large spectacles on 1736 (at Laira, 1904). 1873 has a short tank, an old-style cylinder cover and an early injector.

And no front step or higher handrail on the 1873. It is a minefield of differences.

Does anyone make the early style lamp holder/front handrail bracket, it will be very fragile in resin.

1 hour ago, stevel said:

And no front step or higher handrail on the 1873. It is a minefield of differences.

Yes.

When the filler moved forward on later (3-segment or 5.5 segment) tanks, front steps and a higher handrail were fitted. Here's 1874, still with old-style lamp spigots, but post-1904 when it got this S4 boiler. (It was panniered in 1912.) Looks like Weymouth.

1874-small.jpg.d63cfc61b4df5d79a7cbfc8d422cb5b0.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update on the 1854 saddle tank, made some more progress and some revisions to the dome and safety valve cover.

Hope to do a test print this weekend and check the fit on the Bachmann chassis.

1854saddletankv47.png.127e4b8b378060f728bc5c20379313df.png1854saddletankv48.png.6317433f9202324863161ed397c228a2.png

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well, here is my first test print, still on supports and I see some areas that need improvement. more support needed in some areas, some less, and some things have not formed properly. Overall I'm not to unhappy with it, just needs a little more work to make a passable model.

1st testprint.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

Based on recent experience with @Killian keane's 3D print of the Jones and Potts 0-4-2 tank, it might be useful to print a link between the bunker and cab side, like a thin bar across the cab entrance. This reinforces the connection between the two ends of the loco, which is otherwise likely to flex across the cab floor. Particularly in the course of mating the body to the chassis, it is easy, inadvertently,  to apply undue force. 

Hope this helps. 

Best wishes 

Eric   

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, burgundy said:

Based on recent experience with @Killian keane's 3D print of the Jones and Potts 0-4-2 tank, it might be useful to print a link between the bunker and cab side, like a thin bar across the cab entrance. This reinforces the connection between the two ends of the loco, which is otherwise likely to flex across the cab floor. Particularly in the course of mating the body to the chassis, it is easy, inadvertently,  to apply undue force. 

Hope this helps. 

Best wishes 

Eric   

Thanks for the info, I could do that with the support settings when it gets sliced. I do have to put some bracing under the cab area, to meet the chassis block for the Bachmann version, but this is not required for the etched chassis version.

• Like 1

Here it is post support removal. there are quite a few changes needed before printing again, most of them minor, and significant changes to the supports. but overall I am happy with it.

1sttestprintE.JPG.9d75f26b5dc2decfc6d7a9f76133d0d3.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

It looks great, I'm impressed with the bunker handrails. It's a favourite class of mine, so am following with much interest.

1 hour ago, stevel said:

I do have to put some bracing under the cab area, to meet the chassis block for the Bachmann version, but this is not required for the etched chassis version.

Can I ask which of the Bachmann chassis you are aiming for? There have been various variants for the 57xx/8750s over the years, including the older one on the left, and the newer one on the right. I used the latter under my 1854 ST.

IMG_2467.jpg.896fb4971f81dc277e2d992e9e4effc8.jpg

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

It looks great, I'm impressed with the bunker handrails. It's a favourite class of mine, so am following with much interest.

Can I ask which of the Bachmann chassis you are aiming for? There have been various variants for the 57xx/8750s over the years, including the older one on the left, and the newer one on the right. I used the latter under my 1854 ST.

I am using the older version, but if i could find one, it would be easy enough to modify for the newer version, it took me a year to find the current because of where I live and the cost of shipping here etc. It could also be done with the dimensions, ie. front to rear length, width, distance from wheel centres etc. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I can relate to that, first you have to find them, then get them, then hope they run well. They had it easy in the Stone Age.

I look forward tok seeing the loco develop.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/02/2024 at 12:45, Mikkel said:

managed to snag the later version on Ebay, and it's just arrived in the post. Now to find time to get the print perfected and mounted on this chassis. Will need to remove the Backhead and replace with a roundtop boiler version.

Stephen

Bachmann8715C.JPG.cea645bc15be872293078bfc22705c38.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So I've made a little more progress on the saddle tank project, managed to score a later version of the Bachmann pannier, for a good price, and it arrived while on vacation.

Donorchassis.JPG.ae1ecb452b7a274af0fd9b2215164140.JPG   Reprinted the body with some modifications to clear the chassis. The chassis needed 2mm removed from the front of the chassis brake carrier, to get the wheels in the right location, relative to the splashers. The front sand boxes needed removing with a fine saw, as they are not needed. Now there are some minor drawing mods to do, including a way to attach the body to the chassis.

1854chassistrialA.JPG.e958786dc3b1debe3ac5430db496ef90.JPG1854chassistrial.JPG.9f33d3157e302d24f376bd35944f4d60.JPG

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure that loads of that Bachmann pannier tank body were sold off cheap some years ago because the number was wrong. The large cab variant began with 8750.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Welchester said:

I'm sure that loads of that Bachmann pannier tank body were sold off cheap some years ago because the number was wrong. The large cab variant began with 8750.

That was quite a while ago now, I have a couple of them with one halfway through having it's topfeed removed and a High Level chassis to go under it..