The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

16+mm hole through stone wall - on the cheap?

spikey

I wish to drill a hole of 16-18mm or so diameter through the stone wall of my humble abode, which is about 14" thick.  I have an ordinary cordless hammer drill with a 12mm chuck, and I have masonry bits of 6 and 12mm which are long enough.  My problem is how then to take the hole from 12mm to at least 16mm without incurring any unnecessary expense.  

I can probably access the 12mm hole from within and without the property in order to enlarge it from both ends with a standard-length masonry bit, but I can't find such a thing as a reduced-shank masonry bit to use with my drill.  And I can't find a source of a suitable star drill chisel to do it the old-fashioned way.

Anybody got any bright ideas?

Edited by spikey
typo

• spikey changed the title to 16+mm hole through stone wall - on the cheap?
  • RMweb Premium

This is the best way to do the job, with an SDS drill bit, but I suspect from your description that your drill isn't an SDS type. Can you borrow one, because you'll be amazed at how much better these SDS bits do compared to standard masonry bits.

Note Australian Bunnings site.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-masonry-drill-bit-sds-18-x-200mm-r3-ycut_p0171076

Cheers Kevin but drill isn't SDS and I don't know anyone who could maybe lend me one.  Looking at the chuck end of an SDS drill though, I'm wondering if it would fit in my non-SDS chuck ...

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, spikey said:

Cheers Kevin but drill isn't SDS and I don't know anyone who could maybe lend me one.  Looking at the chuck end of an SDS drill though, I'm wondering if it would fit in my non-SDS chuck ...

No chance. Close inspection will show that there are 4 notches of different sizes. These are there to prevent it rotating, but they will stop them fitting a standard chuck, as there is no circular surface, so it won't run true. Attempting it would risk breaking your wrist!!!!

No electrician mate, as almost certainly they will have one?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kitpw said:

https://www.ukdrills.com/masonry/profi-masonry/profi-masonry-drill-bit... these are reduced shank drill pieces to fit a regular 13mm chuck.  Lengths available up to 600mm (at a price):  the 16 x 200 or 16 x 300 would do for a 14" thick wall.

Oh joy unbounded!  Thank you, kind Sir.  If only my Google-fu was a strong as yours ...

Problem solved 🙂

52 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Our local tool hire shop is £15 a day for an SDS drill.

Which is fine - if you can easily afford the £15, plus the cost of the appropriate drill bit ...

If drilling through walls to the outside its a good idea to angle the hole so that it goes up slightly from the outside. It helps stop water running into the hole and your inner walls.

SSE replaced our mains cable in our old house and drilled down from the outside. Being a solid brick wall the water ran along the cable and down behind the consumer unit.

• Like 3