YaMoRC DR5000 Upgrade

alangdance

Keith

I am not playing with words.

The fact that a similar, commonly available, plastic case is used has no bearing at all on the internal circuity, components or the functional design. These are completely new designs and not a redesign of the old units.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

Keith

I am not playing with words.

The fact that a similar, commonly available, plastic case is used has no bearing at all on the internal circuity, components or the functional design. These are completely new designs and not a redesign of the old units.

So you are saying they have absolutely NO commonality with any of the previous designs. All the components, layout and specifications are different?

I find that extremely hard to believe as he designed both.

People don't normally invent the wheel twice.

• Like 1

I’m not really sure why we are splitting hairs over redesign and evolution, tbh. If the original designer has changed hardware and software to increase marketability of the new product, so be it.

Comparing a DJ 4018 to a Yamorc 8116 is a case in point. The latter has better screw terminals, and the software interface means you can update it directly via usb. You cannot do this with a 4018.

In relation to the 7401 conversion I can confirm the Yamorc update has sorted the disconnect issue between that and DigiTrainsPro. Nice.

Another slight glitch identified tho is when you have the Yamorc 7001 app open on the laptop(running windows 11, Yamorc software build 59), as well as DTPro open on my ipad and connected to the 7001, the programming track doesn’t behave. IE it will only intermittently read a loco/decoder, and won’t write to a decoder at all. 

This is cured by closing DTPro. The Yamorc app then functions as intended regarding the programming track reading and writing.

This isn’t a deal breaker for me, as most of my loco’s are programmed, and if I need to tinker with any CV’s I’ll do so via the Yamorc app.

DTPro otherwise seems to be functioning fine. Now I can get it working properly, I’m going to program my points etc.

Edited by Andy_C
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I spoke with James from DCC Train automation over the weekend at GETS.  He told me that the upgrade chip is best done via a preorder and is not likely to be available until at least December.

He advised to go via preorder as they will only make a certain amount of chips as they are aware of how many DR5000's there are out there.

With that in mind I have ordered mine.

regards

Doug

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Dougjuk said:

I spoke with James from DCC Train automation over the weekend at GETS.  He told me that the upgrade chip is best done via a preorder and is not likely to be available until at least December.

He advised to go via preorder as they will only make a certain amount of chips as they are aware of how many DR5000's there are out there.

With that in mind I have ordered mine.

regards

Doug

I've got mine on order from them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/10/2023 at 21:28, WIMorrison said:

I should also correct the statement that the YAMORC items are 're-designed' Digikeijs items, they are not. The YAMORC products are completely new designs with different functionality and capabilities compared to the products that Digikeijs were licenced  to manufacture and sell.

Hi Ian, the Holland newsletter says they are using the old wares of digikeijs. 

Here's a status report regarding delivery delays. And the YD7100 in particular.
As already written on our website, there is no possibility of producing some products because DC-DC converter chips have been taken off the market.

Affected are: YD7100, YD7101, YD7652, YD6016LN-RC, YD7910 and YD7912......

As the pre-order for the "YD7100 + 7101 Set" was already quite good, we worked out a temporary solution in consultation with our distribution partners.

Through good contacts with Far Eastern manufacturers of ex-Digikeijs, we were able to get our hands on some remaining stocks of products that had been ordered by Digikeijs but never paid for. Logically, the producers did not send the goods at that time either. After the bankruptcy, we were approached and offered these products.

Among these products were a limited number of DR5000 boards. We were also able to buy a larger batch of DR5000 cases. 

This combination allows us to offer a DR5000-based control panel called YD7001-E as a replacement for the pre-ordered "YD7100 + 7101 Set". The E can be read as "Extended". The YD7001-E is already equipped with the YD9401 upgrade, has a YaMoRC green LED, some current measurement weaknesses have been fixed and... gets the ability to measure both track current and track voltage. As well as the power supply input voltage.
Exactly the same applies to our turntable controller YD7652. A similar offer applies to this too, as we also bought DR5052 remnants. Here, too, we are making some quality-improving changes.

Then further what and how it will be done in the future

1. since the central unit is getting a new design, we are going to make a complete unit with everything from YD7100 + YD7101 in the same, large, enclosure instead of making a "small + extension". Attached are the pictures of the new YD7110 😉 We will come up with a further release date later this year. A very rough estimate says the end of April 2024.

2. because of the YD7110, the extension YD7101 will be dropped.

3. the "small" YD7100 could possibly be released in late 2024 if there is sufficient demand.

4. YD7652, YD6016LN-RC, YD7910 and YD7912.... Well... due to your huge demand for our products (very, very much THANK YOU for that (y) ), we are in a bit of a pinch when it comes to development. But because development is very, very important to stay in good shape in the future, we will temporarily stop production and distribution of the YD9401 until early December. We are very sorry about this, because we know how many are still to be delivered. But to stay healthy with company and people, this is an unpopular but very necessary measure 😢 

Our booster YD7403 will be produced soon. It is expected to be in shops the 1st or 2nd week of December.

kind regards

Rupert 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 13/10/2023 at 12:35, Andy_C said:

I’m waiting patiently for the 8116 firmware upgrade whereby if you select points, then the points stay where you last had them set, rather that reverting to ‘thrown’ (or Red).

Karst has let me know that update build 68 is out, which addresses the above problem I mentioned before. I'll download the software, and then see how I get on with the 8116 controllers.

Edited by Andy_C
  • Like 1

Posted 2 weeks ago elsewhere

Hello dear customers,

A very frequently asked question by now is how it feels about the YD9401.

As mentioned here before, we had to stop production due to production difficulties.

All for the purpose of working on a solution to the problem in relative calmness.

What we did there is too far to describe here, the fact is that in early December we did a trial with automatic Pick & Place of the ESP32 modules. We had designed new trays for the JUKI ( Pick & Place ) and had 3D printed. Everything looked very hopeful

Unfortunately, when the Big Day came, we had a 12-platinum running with YD9401, very few were good... very little is meant here 1x good 2x questionable and 9x bad

So, for the analysis. It turned out that the ESP32 we used are not suitable for automatic processing Tolerances are not correct and the underside is not flat.

image.png.5936748bff3d6cc749be3bac4b1164eb.png

So we again ordered 200 pieces from another manufacturer as a sample. We were able to try them again today

And in fact: all 12 are correct .

You can see what it all looks like in pictures and video.

What to do now? We are going to reorder the right ESP32 now. And then probably can in the 3rd. January week produce about 600 pieces.

We will use those who ran the trial run to finish assembling the remaining YD7001-E.

Dear greetings,

Karst Drenth

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
On 13/02/2023 at 20:04, packetlos said:

Upgraded my DR5000 using the YD9401 module yesterday, received very quickly from DDC train automation. Fairly straightforward upgrade although I had to restart my PC after installing the Yamorc software before the DR5000 was detected and the new license file could be applied.

First impressions - being able to use the LAN and the standalone wifi network at the same time with lots of protocols is much more useable, I'm a Loconet user but being able to mess with the Z21 app at the same time is amazing. In summary worth the £60 to bring the DR5000 up to what it probably should have been in the first place.

PXL_20230212_150238883.jpg

PXL_20230212_150440506.jpg

I am considering purchasing the YaMoRC YD9401 chip for my DR500.  Currrently I connect to my DR5000 wirelessly (and I use the Z21 app), which requires using my iPhone to change wireless networks from my "ausrym home" normal one to the DR5000 specific one.  Ordinarily this then means no internet on the iphone.  However, plugging an ethernet cable into the DR5000 reinstates internet access.

Does the YD9401 mean instead of having to change networks on my iPhone to the specific DR5000 one each time I want to drive trains (almost like the DR5000 is it's own router I need to connect to), I can simply turn on the DR5000 and it will wirelessly be integrated into my "ausrym home" normal one (a la' like if it was a NAS hard drive and everyone can see the device on the same network).  Saving this step would be a huge win for me as I otherwise don't need any of the other fixes/upgrades of the YD9401. Could I then ditch the ethernet cable and still have internet and DR5000 access?

You can do what you want to do with the YD9401 already if you are only using one protocol, which in your case looks like the z21 protocol. What you cannot do currently is use the z21 protocol and Loconet, and Xpressnet.

That said the YD401 also provides updated firmware which addresses many issues with the DR5000, none the least of which is the ability to run multiple protocols simultaneously.

Just now, WIMorrison said:

You can do what you want to do with the YD9401 already if you are only using one protocol, which in your case looks like the z21 protocol. What you cannot do currently is use the z21 protocol and Loconet, and Xpressnet.

That said the YD401 also provides updated firmware which addresses many issues with the DR5000, none the least of which is the ability to run multiple protocols simultaneously.

Thanks, confirming I only user Z21 protocol.  My question is does the YD9401 allow the DR5000 to become like any other internet device that I can have on my house wifi network (rather than having to connect to the specific DR5000 wifi network that doesn't allow concurrent internet access via wifi)?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ausrym said:

I am considering purchasing the YaMoRC YD9401 chip for my DR500. 

You'll be lucky

I've had one on order for some time and there was a hint that only the pre-orders would be done.

20 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

production is happening now 😉

@WIMorrison@packetlos I'm still wanting to know is does the YD9401 allow the DR5000 connect as a devise to my house wifi network (rather than having to connect to the separate DR5000 wifi network that doesn't allow concurrent internet access via wifi)?  If so, I'll buy it as I'm not experiencing any other issues and don't need the other features.

23 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

I stated in my first response the DR5000 can be connected to your home network now, the limitation is that you can only run one protocol.

On 30/01/2024 at 14:56, ausrym said:

@WIMorrison@packetlos I'm still wanting to know is does the YD9401 allow the DR5000 connect as a devise to my house wifi network (rather than having to connect to the separate DR5000 wifi network that doesn't allow concurrent internet access via wifi)?  If so, I'll buy it as I'm not experiencing any other issues and don't need the other features.

Yes - I have mine connected in 'client' mode with an DHCP IP reservation on my router so the IP stays consistent. 

Z21 and Loconet protocols working fine, had a few issues with WiThrottle

Edited by packetlos
added protocols
  • Like 2

On 30/01/2024 at 14:56, ausrym said:

does the YD9401 allow the DR5000 connect as a devise to my house wifi network

Since my DR5000 is fixed permanently in position underneath one of my baseboards, I connected the DR5000 to my house router via an Ethernet cable. My WiFi devices then connect via the regular house WiFi and can talk to both Internet and the DR5000 simultaneously. Works perfectly.

Yours, Mike.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 01/02/2024 at 19:42, packetlos said:

Yes - I have mine connected in 'client' mode with an DHCP IP reservation on my router so the IP stays consistent. 

Z21 and Loconet protocols working fine, had a few issues with WiThrottle

Great, thanks, really helpful.  Have now submitted my pre-order for it.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I am still undecided, I might venture to buy one and see how it goes before I deal with my spare.

Although I was considering using the spare on my display layout.  I assume that I would still need a cross cable to connect to the laptop or use a small hub/switch with normal cabling. Unless the port on the DR5000 is going to be altered in some way.

Doug