Hornby Jenny Lind?

I was looking on google for photos of something else when this popped up. I have never heard of such a model,  nor can I find anything more about it, Does anyone know if Hornby really did produce this model?

https://www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/index/File:Jenny_Lind_1847,_Hornby_Railways_catalogue_cover_image_(HRCat_1975).jpg

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

No. This was the cover for the 1975 Hornby catalogue, supposedly to mark the Stockton & Darlington 150th anniversary. It showed a variety of historical locos which had nothing to do with the range inside. In fact, this was the year that Hornby drastically *reduced* the size of their loco range to about four IIRC (this recollection may be exaggerated by time…)

This was the first Hornby catalogue I bought as a 12 year old trainspotter and tyro modeller, and I still remember being mildly disappointed by the lack of exciting content compared to the stylish cover. Then my school friend who already had a model railway showed me his copy of the 1974 catalogue and I couldn’t believe the number of locos that had been dropped!

(EDIT At that age I didn’t realise that older stock still hung around in model shops - I just thought that if it wasn’t in the current catalogue it was unobtainable.  And now, 48 years later, that actually *is* the case…)

RichardT

Edited by RichardT
Another thought struck me
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

They never released City Of Truro or Gladstone either, although ISTR there was a mock up made of COT and it was on the list of possible models along with a few others that never appeared such as an Adams Radial Tank and a J36.

The other locomotive on the cover was an A4 which did appear three years later, so I wonder whether they were planned and just didn't progress.

That was about the time when Hornby ditched most of the old models. Unfortunately they didn't have any competition until Lima, Airfix and Mainline turned up.

Still quite a range though.

Train Sets: 7
Models: 68
Locomotives (All): 16
Steam Locomotives: 9
Diesel Electric Locomotives: 7
Passenger Rolling Stock: 15
Freight Rolling Stock: 30

http://www.hornbyguide.com/year_details.asp?yearid=12

Jason