IZAL Palvan, BR diagram 1/221

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Asterix2012 said:

Hi Ian

Did you find out when they stopped being used on the Izal traffic or were repainted or withdrawn?

Hi Mark

Here is a bit more text from that which my friend researched for me, it explains a bit about the vans subsequent use etc.

Alas the experiment with palletised IZAL traffic was not a great success. Within a few short years at least some of the vans were being used to carry parts for the Ford Motor Company between Dagenham and Halewood, marshalled indiscriminately with Ford's altogether larger blue-liveried, 35ft long, 20ft 9in wheelbase diagram 1/235 Palvans. Almost certainly the diagram 1/221 vans in Ford service retained their IZAL green livery, by then very shabby and travel-worn while some kept their original logos; others carried Ford branding. A number of these pallet vans also worked on the Campbells soup traffic out of Kings Lynn, Norfolk and there are photographs that appear to show them repainted in what may well be plain bauxite livery, branded PALVAN, but there's no compelling evidence to suggest any of them definitely joined the general revenue fleet. The TOPS code was VPV and according to Paul Bartlett they were out of revenue service by 1976 or so, although some were subsequently seconded to the engineers or employed as internal users (the Ministry of Defence took a few, repainting them pale green) and lasted into the early 1990s.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 19/01/2023 at 09:57, Enterprisingwestern said:

Do you have a date for the alterations to the springs Ian.

I feel another addition to the macgeordie roundtuit pile coming on!

Mike.

Hi Mike

I have no concrete proof of when they changed the springs from 'J' hanger to standard types but photographic evidence suggests they probably started around 1969 or 1970. Needless to say this would have been done on an Ad Hoc basis as and when a van was either repaired or modified for a new role, they wouldn't have all been done at the same time so mixing vans with both styles in one bloc train on a layout depicting post 1970 would be perfectly acceptable.

Ian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I got a bit done on the chassis today.

The solebars have an overlay which saves having to press out lots of rivets.

_MG_8970b.jpg.e725515d27a1cc61460a4ceea31a1ab0.jpg

_MG_8972b.jpg.0788f720cdeb4c7c432780e8e7be2fee.jpg

The axleguards and wheel bearings are in place.

_MG_8979b.jpg.2cf2028c1da3fa92ede10563488ae5a9.jpg

The little pegs on the upper side are the door guides.

_MG_8980b.jpg.dc446232c2af6cb6a700459d8ceb6644.jpg

The next job is the vacuum cylinder and the NEM pocket. The latter can be left off if working couplings are to be fitted. I'll post a couple more photos tomorrow showing the progress.

Ian

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I've opened the book on this one now, so you are on the list Mike.

I got a bit more done today, the brake operating parts are now in place along with the buffers.

_MG_8998b.jpg.6fe5f78088870179c2d6c8a7de2be875.jpg

_MG_8999b.jpg.fd66845a64df08ed6b15e1c547ddb2f3.jpg

Next job is the brake shoe assemblies. I haven't fitted the brake hand levers yet as they make it more difficult to fit the springs later in the build.

Ian

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
On 22/01/2023 at 08:56, stewartingram said:

Is this a kit that is up for sale? If so, any details please.

Hi Stewart

Yes I will make this kit available when I have finished this test build and assuming I am happy with it. Everything has gone together well so far but I never release a kit until I am happy everything fits as it should.

I have used a lot less nickel silver in this kit as the cost of the nickel silver etches I use in the kits has virtually doubled over the last year, consequently, I expect this kit will probably come out at about 35 quid.

If you want to go onto the list please message me as it is easier for me to keep track of everybody that wants a kit that way.

Ian

Edited by macgeordie
typo corrected
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Ian, I remember quite clearly that many of these vans, obviously brand new, were kept in storage behind the British Titan Products huge factory just adjacent to the tram shed of the former Grimsby-Immingham tramway and terminus at Pyewipe, Grimsby. This plant had an extensive railway system but many of the sidings, which held these vans, could only be viewed from the sea wall side of the plant which was only accessible by cyclists or pedestrians. Like many of the large industrial sites of the period long time storage of privately owned rail vehicles appeared to be quite lucrative for the owners with such of an amount of spare siding capacity that could be let out for storage hire. Which was exactly why they where there, apparently. However, I cannot remember how many vans they had in storage but all carried the green livery with the Izal logo and were obviously brand new, filling a couple of lengthy sidings! These vans must have been in store there for well over a year if not more, but getting rather old myself now it would be interesting if anybody else could remember them. However, again! I have Just remembered! There is some colour film footage on YouTube that actually shows some of these vans being loaded in the Sheffield area on a BR promo film about cutting the amount of marshalling yards prior to the building of Tinsley. OK time for bed now. Regards.    

Edited by HarryLamb2
2 sheds and railway
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I fitted the van roof and the roof edge detail today. The edge detail was actually just a cover to go over the rollers, presumably to keep the dirt off and stop the rails clogging up.

_MG_9016b.jpg.b7ed3566045090e10f36a1a9382f5128.jpg

_MG_9017b.jpg.34e9f11761d96754ebc3a48a17f6e003.jpg

Ian

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

The vac pipes and lamp irons are now fitted and everything else has gone together as it should.

_MG_9032b.jpg.8df35130350cb698839b91fbe3c58e9b.jpg

I'l probably be ordering the etches towards the end of next week for those members who have requested one of these kits. If anybody else wants to go on the list please message me before then.

Ian

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I took this photo down at the clubrooms yesterday evening on one of the club layouts. It's the two earlier test builds, I painted them with Railmatch 'Early DMU green' with a tiny dash of white added. The transfers are from John Isherwood (Cambridge Custom Transfers).

2068664797_IzalPalvans1b.jpg.e3fefda040c01c37e911eb18755349a2.jpg

I am going to order the etches for those members who have requested one of these today, I'll order a couple of extra sets in case there are any latecomers.

Ian

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

They look really well. I've always had a soft spot for the Izals since reading the Transport Age article about them, and my father bringing an official photo home when I was looking for another use for the 11ft wheelbase frame of the Airfix Cattle van. I managed a snap from a passing train at Camden a bit later.  I even measured the body at Derby Works less than 24 hours before my daughter was borne - unusually for those days Julie refused to come out to Derby with me 🙂 Later David Monk-Steel and Trev Mann found one on its frame and finished the measuring job. We have never understood why the auxilliary suspension was removed. 

Very nice. 

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick update, I have had the quote from the etchers and the kit price is slightly less than the 35 quid I originally estimated, It has worked out at £33.90. The down side is that they are quoting up to 8 weeks for delivery which is a bit disappointing but there's not much I can do about it. 

Ian

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another update, I have just received the etches for this kit. I need to get them all wrapped and I also have to roll the roof sections for them all. I should therefore be contacting those who have requested one of the kits in a few days time.

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have another four of these kits going spare, one of our forum members requested them but hasn't responded to my messages. If anybody fancies one please pm me.

Ian