Small Metro builds 2023

longchap

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Thanks Tony, thats encouraging - I would never have the patience for ten tries - it would have been swearing and cursing long before that.

My worry with the irons is it will just be messy after I am done and also very fragile - I tend to pick up my models to work on some part only to notice I have squashed some other fragile part in the process. Brass strip lamp irons look hard but even worse are the three hooks on the back that held fire irons and such like. Do you make those with wire?

Another thing I am mulling over is trying to improve the tank top seam with filler, filing down and replacing the rivets with a waterslide set of rivets from Railtec - has anyone any experience of such things?

I have also not ruled out getting a whole new body kit and trying to do it properly but other bits of the layout are calling.

So I will plug on, since really with this build, as @MrWolf says, I am learning stuff, and see how much I like it at the end. If only high end RTR models were not so damn good.

Andy

I agree that it is tempting to go and get another body kit.... but then I will add a new chassis, great box etc. and have a second loco.

Its been a good learning experience to share the builds in the manner that we have.

However, I am also looking forward to getting back to the layout and finishing a few bits off.... there is a long list of "to do" jobs 😎

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I still haven't taken the plunge with mine.

This thread has given me some very useful pointers but it also suggests that the process is going to be very frustrating and that the end result may be compromised.

So I'm going to need huge motivation to make a start now!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I still haven't taken the plunge with mine.

This thread has given me some very useful pointers but it also suggests that the process is going to be very frustrating and that the end result may be compromised.

So I'm going to need huge motivation to make a start now!

Take the plunge Phil - share the build on here and at any tricky step, just post it into here. You would be surprised you would get the answer.

I have been working at my bench, posted here, checked back and the answer was ready!

8 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Phil, that was the great joy of the course at Missenden with Tony. It got me motivated and made a real start. Otherwise I would still be thinking about it!

It was a shame I found out about the course too late.

However, I think we have all benefited from your attendance as the advice on here has been excellent.

To anyone contemplating building one of these Metro tank locos from SE Finecast, I would say have a go. My skill base, not to mention my range of tools has increased hugely. I would add that the list of "essential tools" etc. that the course suggested put me off.... I wonder how much of them I now have!

I still don't have any taps and dies; but have a shed load of 5 sided broach reamers in every size from 1.2mm to 4mm.

Expect an update shortly, I am heading off to the railway room.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A few photos for Wednesday.

First up is a better photo of the Markits GWR whistles:

E29437E6-0731-4576-A356-556A1851EB3B.jpeg.23fa015fa45d4b425383a0d0afddc440.jpeg

Then, my smokebox darts will be these nice little items from Comet:

71E774DC-C5FA-420B-8283-CB6D90BC3D06.jpeg.9b5aeb243859b6661c68f23d49166d75.jpeg

Finally the loco lamp brackets - these might be easier than messing with odd bits of brass @Andy Keane although at the moment, I don’t have an answer for the brackets to hold shovels etc

19FADC87-2837-42C6-95DA-E967F7C7C02C.jpeg.e0ef5aebc3371a9a5dc021d38be153f7.jpeg

Hope this helps.

• Informative/Useful 2

20 hours ago, russell price said:

Loco was metro no 3593 , I’m sure you will find something on the net! 

It certainly was, bit of a hurried shot from J H Russell, A historical record of Great Western engines.

IMG_20230315_103240.jpg.69c4df49b7e56498ae85ac2a04ccd304.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

44 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

A few photos for Wednesday.

First up is a better photo of the Markits GWR whistles:

E29437E6-0731-4576-A356-556A1851EB3B.jpeg.23fa015fa45d4b425383a0d0afddc440.jpeg

Then, my smokebox darts will be these nice little items from Comet:

71E774DC-C5FA-420B-8283-CB6D90BC3D06.jpeg.9b5aeb243859b6661c68f23d49166d75.jpeg

Finally the loco lamp brackets - these might be easier than messing with odd bits of brass @Andy Keane although at the moment, I don’t have an answer for the brackets to hold shovels etc

19FADC87-2837-42C6-95DA-E967F7C7C02C.jpeg.e0ef5aebc3371a9a5dc021d38be153f7.jpeg

Hope this helps.

Re fire iron brackets . I use “ Bambi” staples , bent to shape against a template and glued into a .5 mm diameter hole . For template ,  I use a 4 mm scale drawing .
They are not finescale but robust - see picture of 14xx .

I think their manufacturer is self explanatory but let me know if not .

The late Iain Rice shows how to file a flat onto 0.45 mm wire and then bend into shape . Can’t recall which of his excellent books . 

097BE555-BBF5-41CD-AED9-BB430C8DA093.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It certainly was, bit of a hurried shot from J H Russell, A historical record of Great Western engines.

Like my target, the whistles are NOT on the cab roof where the kit places them - another bodge with filler coming up!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, 1466 said:

Re fire iron brackets . I use “ Bambi” staples , bent to shape against a template and glued into a .5 mm diameter hole . For template ,  I use a 4 mm scale drawing .
They are not finescale but robust - see picture of 14xx .

I think their manufacturer is self explanatory but let me know if not .

The late Iain Rice shows how to file a flat onto 0.45 mm wire and then bend into shape . Can’t recall which of his excellent books . 

097BE555-BBF5-41CD-AED9-BB430C8DA093.jpeg

Great idea - and being steel much stronger than brass - I think my prototype had three of these darned things to add!

46 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The rebuild looks much larger than the Metro tank, someway between a Metro and a County tank. Quite a kit bash would be required, but from what ?

I would have though either an 0-4-4T or a 4-4-0T might be more in keeping and easier to build 

11 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Like my target, the whistles are NOT on the cab roof where the kit places them - another bodge with filler coming up!

They appear to be on top of the cab if it's a half cab, on the spectacle plate if a semi enclosed cab. There may be exceptions as the same enclosed cab when fitted to the 517 has whistles on the roof.

3593 owes more to the small prairie from the dome backwards, so don't take any notice of that.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, hayfield said:

The rebuild looks much larger than the Metro tank, someway between a Metro and a County tank. Quite a kit bash would be required, but from what ?

I would have though either an 0-4-4T or a 4-4-0T might be more in keeping and easier to build 

I'm working on building a 36xx 2-4-2T which is an even stranger device, but it used a lot of common components.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'm working on building a 36xx 2-4-2T which is an even stranger device, but it used a lot of common components.

A 3902 would look even stranger with its massive side tanks, GWR's version of a Flatiron !!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2023 at 08:59, Andy Keane said:

And now with the pesky reverser on the RHS!

16780031308618372450219146416003.jpg.dc20c0284b1dabaf8baf6cae3d84224f.jpg

Hi Andy,

Im making a start on the pick ups… I can follow what you have done for the two drivers, but can’t see that I have the space for that pick up on the front pony. Does the small board fit into loco ok?

I don’t seem to have as much space.

Thanks

image.jpg.6a8441f6607e9453af402004c50b8dd1.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hayfield said:

A 3902 would look even stranger with its massive side tanks, GWR's version of a Flatiron !!

Oddly enough, that's also on the list of locos which were semi scratch build or conversion projects in the model railway press about a thousand years ago. 

Chassis, wheels and boiler have been sourced for a 21st century recreation. The MSWJR 0-4-4T has been done by @chuffinghell and myself, a Dubs 0-6-0T from the same railway is also about ready to start. I'm also gathering bits for GWR 4-4-0ST Number 13.

That ought to keep me out of mischief for a while!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, russell price said:

Do Roxley do a large Metro Kit ?? That is what 3593 started out as? 

There was a whitemetal kit for the Large Metro, but I can't remember who did it I'm afraid, I was about seven!

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Hi Andy,

Im making a start on the pick ups… I can follow what you have done for the two drivers, but can’t see that I have the space for that pick up on the front pony. Does the small board fit into loco ok?

I don’t seem to have as much space.

Thanks

image.jpg.6a8441f6607e9453af402004c50b8dd1.jpg

I soldered a tiny PCB to the inside of the frame with an insulated tab poking up, then a bit of @t-b-g copper/beryllium wire to that with an insulating sleeve where it runs between the frame and the body - it just fits and the wire itself is then pulled over the flange after assembly to tension it.

20230311_161339.jpg.eec4efb9865b5740d4e5fc8ae4beaa7f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1