A1 Peppercorn (Tornado) release

AyJay

Good evening all,

I see that Hornby have got their A1 Peppercorn 'Tornado' up for release this year.   

I see that it is on their 'Railroad' range pages and I would like to have some idea of what the appearance / detail quality is like?

I have never purchased a railroad locomotive before and I just wonder if it will be 'up to scratch' when put with my other loco's?

Thank you

• Friendly/supportive 1

The only one I can see is this ... which isn't a Railroad release and has full lining etc.  So she'll be fine but will have some moulded detail.  By all accounts she's a great representation of Tornado but as such is not representative of the original Peppercorn A1s.

I have a Tornado out of the Aberdonian train pack that I bought a couple of years ago (so not sure if it’s the most detailed version) however I think it is of an acceptable standard to what I want and the loco has a decent weight to it and runs well. Loco and tender connection is simple and I do not worry about bits potentially falling off whilst taking it out of the box and putting it back. I think the original model came out during the Design Clever era so both Railroad and full fat are probably quite similar. 

• RMweb Premium

I bought the Tornado Express train pack in 2011.   The loco was a big disappointment, wouldn't negotiate second radius points, prone to stalling.   Pickups only on drive wheels.  I soon sold it. I expect Hornby have made improvements to the model since then.

3 hours ago, AyJay said:

Yes Paddy, that’s the one I’m looking at.  But it’s put in the railroad range and it’s priced as such?

Except it doesn't have Railroad or Railroad Plus in the listing. The lining shown is very much not at the Railroad level.

• RMweb Premium
On 22/01/2023 at 06:35, AyJay said:

Good evening all,

I see that Hornby have got their A1 Peppercorn 'Tornado' up for release this year.   

I see that it is on their 'Railroad' range pages and I would like to have some idea of what the appearance / detail quality is like?

I have never purchased a railroad locomotive before and I just wonder if it will be 'up to scratch' when put with my other loco's?

Thank you

The basic model you’re looking at is a railroad tooling, but it has a full livery. I believe it has been update to have tender pickups as well as loco pickups. It doesn’t look out of place among super detail models, even though it doesn’t have a fair bit of moulded detail. It’s the only true Tornado model. Bachmann modified their A1 model, but Hornby’s is purely based on Tornado.