37603 - giant headlights?

nightstar.train

7 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Can anyone shed light (pun intended) on what i presume are giant headlights on 37603. As seen in this photo. They were fitted by EPS, but 37603 was the only one of EPS's 12 locos so fitted. 

They were a later fitment but no idea what changed to need them. Both 37601 and 37604 got them in around 2005, EPS having disposed of the other 9 x 37/6s to DRS by then.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I don't like it.  It's got a handlebar moustache and its eyes are too close together.

It reminds me of those close up pictures of spiders where you see all the eyes!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I wonder if the translator wagons blocked the normal headlights as used on both ends of the 37s in propelling and trailing mode?

A few examples of them in use here:

EPS 37's Cheddington 1998

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-a-pair-of-class-37-locomotives-towing-a-eurostar-train-at-sevington-86240080.html

Edited by black and decker boy
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

I wonder if the translator wagons blocked the normal headlights as used on both ends of the 37s in propelling and trailing mode?

A few examples of them in use here:

EPS 37's Cheddington 1998

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-a-pair-of-class-37-locomotives-towing-a-eurostar-train-at-sevington-86240080.html

That makes sense. Also notice on the livery, how the boundary between the light grey and flint grey is a touch lower than on the normal Railfreight sector livery.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, black and decker boy said:

I wonder if the translator wagons blocked the normal headlights as used on both ends of the 37s in propelling and trailing mode? ...

If so, it took them a long time to realise there was a problem : I have a picture of '604 with barrier wagons at Tonbridge in 1995 - ten years or so before these headlights were fitted !

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Translator wagons? Surely you mean Brake Tenders?

😇

Great idea - but of course exactly the opposite as they could be propelled at speeds up to 69mph (possibly a little more in some situations.  they were officially titled 'match wagons' (translation of course having a very specific meaning in the world of Eurostar working in three different languages).

And at one time they happened to be a nice little earner for me (on behalf of Eurostar) because of the inability of just about anything else readily available to couple with a certain type of automatic coupling.  Long while back but i think I was charging in excess of £100 per occasion when I hired one out fora few hours.

10 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

If so, it took them a long time to realise there was a problem : I have a picture of '604 with barrier wagons at Tonbridge in 1995 - ten years or so before these headlights were fitted !

But don't forget that it only mattered (if it mattered anywhere other than on CTRL?) if a match wagon was leading.  I 'retired' before CTRL opened but I can't recall any problem arising on the previous route regarding the headlights ona loco propelling match wagons.

• Like 1

HS1 could be quite different to the convention railway I guess - no colour lights, no intermediate stations and less ambient light due to noise / visual screening bunds & fences plus those long tunnels under london

more effective front illumination would therefore be useful?

this was definitely linked to their use on HS1 at the time as Eurostar had sold off most locos by the time they fitted these headlights.

52 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Great idea - but of course exactly the opposite as they could be propelled at speeds up to 69mph (possibly a little more in some situations.  they were officially titled 'match wagons' (translation of course having a very specific meaning in the world of Eurostar working in three different languages).

Un wagon aux allumettes?  luciferwagen?

image.png.82a220fbb48d27acb9dba821b723ef73.png

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

... But don't forget that it only mattered (if it mattered anywhere other than on CTRL?) if a match wagon was leading. ...

Well the wagon WAS leading ......

770_10.jpg.b374ea824e7c5a2a21e952848957e520.jpg

..... but it was daylight so maybe doesn't count ! ( 30/6/95 )

The bug-eyed 'hand lamp' on the front of the wagon might be relevant, of course !

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, younGGuns7 said:

Wonder if a couple of Guinness drinking watchers have this one on follow 🤔🤣🤣

The giant headlights are a sub class of a sub class that only lasted for a couple of years. I think it very unlikely the Irish lads would make one, but then they did make Gordon Highlander in purple with the WIPAC lights, so weird things do happen. 

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

The giant headlights are a sub class of a sub class that only lasted for a couple of years. I think it very unlikely the Irish lads would make one, but then they did make Gordon Highlander in purple with the WIPAC lights, so weird things do happen. 

Let’s wait and see 

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, 97406 said:

That makes sense. Also notice on the livery, how the boundary between the light grey and flint grey is a touch lower than on the normal Railfreight sector livery.

Unless there was a specific rule for the EPS 37s the loco itself wouldn’t be showing any headlights (or tail lights) as it’s not the leading vehicle, hence the temporary one on the leading barrier vehicle.

it’s the same when propelling snowploughs just the lights on the outer vehicles 

Edited by big jim
  • Agree 1