RMweb

The London Festival of Railway Modelling: March 18 & 19, Alexandra Palace

SteveCole

It could made available a few days before the weekend, the exhibition guide is almost certainly mastered as a PDF for the printer so could be put online for advance ticket holders; what's to lose, they get a free guide on arrival anyway.  Maybe even more incentive to book in advance.

Edited by Pendennis
spelling

• RMweb Gold
On 24/03/2023 at 15:24, Pendennis said:

What Mike the Stationmaster didn't mention in his post was that, as well as the floor plan of the Exhibition, the Basingstoke A4 sheet also had a QR code.  Open the QR code reader on your phone and hey presto you had a full show guide, photos, description etc.; nothing to lose, no extra cost, no waste paper!  May not suit all, I'm well past retirement age, but we are in 2023 now.

I wouldn't have mentioned it for the specific reason that I can't deal with QR codes for the simple reason that I don't have a device which can read them.  The world has not stopped rotating as a consequence!  Like show guides there are different ways of doing things for all of us

I do have a mobile 'phone and I turn it on when I either need to make a call or am expecting a call from someone; the rest of the time it is off.  This is a habit I acquired long ago back in my working life when making sure that my mobile was turned off stopped people bothering me when I was busy doing other things.  Those who needed to contact knew that the system was to call my secretary and if they passed that hurdle she would page me to call them.  The only time I kept the 'phone turned on was when I was in mainland Europe and out of pager range.  Now I don't have a secretary or a pager so it's even harder to call me unless you call the land line 👀

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 31/03/2023 at 13:07, The Stationmaster said:

I wouldn't have mentioned it for the specific reason that I can't deal with QR codes for the simple reason that I don't have a device which can read them.  The world has not stopped rotating as a consequence!  Like show guides there are different ways of doing things for all of us

I do have a mobile 'phone and I turn it on when I either need to make a call or am expecting a call from someone; the rest of the time it is off.  This is a habit I acquired long ago back in my working life when making sure that my mobile was turned off stopped people bothering me when I was busy doing other things.  Those who needed to contact knew that the system was to call my secretary and if they passed that hurdle she would page me to call them.  The only time I kept the 'phone turned on was when I was in mainland Europe and out of pager range.  Now I don't have a secretary or a pager so it's even harder to call me unless you call the land line 👀

one thing to note about QR codes is the ability to use them for more nefarious uses. That’s not to say any railway exhibition using them would do so, but it’s well known that legitimate ones have been doctored by the more unsavoury elements of our society. I never use them or expose my phone to them, this is especially important for those who may use a phone for online banking ect.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• AY Mod unpinned this topic