Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

2023 Motorsport (non-F1) Thread

Invicta Informant

This weekend there is WRC from Sardinia, Italy, IndyCar from Detroit, BTCC from Thruxton, NASCAR from St. Louis, and Formula E from Jakarta.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans is next weekend, but Scrutineering starts tomorrow (Friday 2nd) in the town itself. There are two Free Practice sessions and Qualifying on Wednesday 7th, and two more Free Practice session and Hyperpole on Thursday 8th.

I can hardly wait for Le Mans, especially with the (slightly controversial) changes to Balance of Performance, which should make the racing amongst the Hypercars even closer than it has been. I know it’s a big if at the moment, but if Ferrari were to win the centenary Le Mans it could send sportscar racing stratospheric.

• Agree 1

Aside from the Le Mans 24 Hours, this weekend there is NASCAR from Sonoma, California, and MotoGP from Mugello.

There has been one nasty accident already in practice for Le Mans. Both drivers are okay and the teams are pretty hopeful of getting their entries fixed up for practice today (Thursday), though they both needed replacement chassis. The No. 13 LMP2 car must serve a three minute stop-and-go penalty within four laps of the start of the race, as the bronze-rated driver failed to slow down sufficiently before impact.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Ferrari lock out the front row in qualifying. In the other classes, the No. 48 IDEC Sport took LMP2 Pole, while in LMGTE AM the sole Corvette, No. 33, took that class pole.

Also MotoGP legend Valentino Rossi, took a class victory in a 'Road to Le Mans' support race today (Friday), and he hopes to make his debut in the 24 hour race proper next year.

Next year's WEC grid will just feature two classes, Hypercars and LMGT3s, though LMP2s may still feature at Le Mans and in the IMSA series in North America.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Despite my stated location I am in Torquay! I am following on Radio Le Mans online, and it is one of the most interesting races I can remember - and I've watched from the grandstands 22 times! Ferrari seem to be fastest when the track is dry and flags are green, and so they currently lead from Toyota, but only by a few seconds. In the GTE-Am category, of 20 starters, it is currently the Iron Dames Porsche - yes, three ladies - leading from the sole Corvette. LMP2 is, as usual, entirely composed of Oreca-Gibsons, which does reduce the interest, if ensuring the close competition. 

Weather has not been kind, sudden rain on a surface that had been dry for weeks is always treacherous, and of 21 cars that have so far retired, far more were because of accident damage than mechanical attrition. That is more than I can recall in recent years. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 07/06/2023 at 07:40, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

if Ferrari were to win the centenary Le Mans it could send sportscar racing stratospheric.

They have and it will.

What a great race - sorry I have been posting on F1 didn't realise that this thread had been set up.

image.png.fdd0dc1b2966d7fb20be011a63655e5a.png

As Ian above will know, I am a great fan of Sports Car/Prototype racing and have been since 1965. I can't think of a better outcome for the Centenary Le Mans. And such a truly brillient race - I watched in on the WEC Streamed TV Web Site - about £38 for the whole season.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 3

I could not take my eyes off Le Mans this year. Just as you thought it was calming down, something happened to one of the contenders in one of the classes. The modified NASCAR raced by Jenson Button, Jimmie Johnson, and Mike Rockenfeller finished 39th. 40 out of the 62 starters finished or were classified.

And is it just me, but I thought Eurosport's normally great coverage was dire this year. They kept cutting away to features/interviews during the race and cutting to ad breaks when something exciting was happening (about as bad as ITV's F1 coverage from back in the day).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Invicta Informant said:

And is it just me, but I thought Eurosport's normally great coverage was dire this year. They kept cutting away to features/interviews during the race and cutting to ad breaks when something exciting was happening (about as bad as ITV's F1 coverage from back in the day).

Next year try the WEC own TV channel - total coverage of the season, no ads, for £38.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I certainly didn’t notice it on any channel other than Eurosport.

I’ve just finished watching the entire race (recorded from Eurosport and watched over several sessions  when I found time), and it was the best race in years. Close racing throughout the fields, issues for all the top contenders, weather making it unpredictable, and all the major Hypercar manufacturers took turns at leading the race on merit. The icing on the cake was a thoroughly deserved overall win for the AF Corse Ferrari team, which will ensure the next race at Monza is a sell-out! Who needs F1, sulky Verstappen, and Whinger Spice?

Almost as good for me was the Corvette winning in GTE-Am, after going two laps down early on, but being able to fight back through a combination of performance and luck regarding safety cars.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 13/06/2023 at 09:21, RedgateModels said:

Was the coverage only on pay TV this year? I missed that it was even on as there was no trailers/ads etc for coverage.

In previous years the start and finish at least were on freeview?

Quest, which is part of the Warner Bros. Discovery portfolio, did have some coverage of the race in the wee small hours, but was the same as that on Eurosport.

Castle Combe Rallyday last Saturday. Star of the show for me, even I've seen and taken detail pictures of it several times before! 

Pics and captions linked from my Flickr. 

Scooby Sliding Sideways

Forwards is fastest, but sideways is, well, the way rally cars should be driven. P12WRC, Colin McRae's Rally GB winner from 1997 negotiates the tyres at Castle Combe's 2023 Rallyday with Louise Aitken-Walker at the wheel.

Family reunion

P12WRC was the Impreza Colin McRae used to win the 1997 Rally GB, his final victory on home soil. Restored into the Subaru blue and yellow, it looks and sounds as it did back in '97. Trundling back towards the paddock for another run at the Feature Stage at the 2023 Rallyday at Castle Combe, Colin's daughter Hollie was riding in the Impreza here, with 'Gramps' Jimmy McRae at the wheel.

Jo

• Like 3