Cobalt iP digital point motors & S levers

PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all, I’m currently constructing another layout (this time I will finish it) and I’m using Cobalt iP digital point motors operated by my ECoS.  This works great, as some of you will know you can draw up your track plan and flick the points with a tap on the screen.

My question is can you operate the iP digitals using Cobalt S levers and if so how difficult is it to set up?  As I think this would add a lot more to the running of the layout.

Sorry if this has been Asher before but I couldn’t find anything via the usual searches.

Many thanks 

Paul

If you wish to retain the ECoS in the loop, for route setting, try wiring the Cobalt S-levers via an Alpha Encoder and then the DCC Concepts "Cobalt Alpha SNIFFER Adapter" (DCD-SNX), into the ECoS sniffer port.

Operating the levers will then enable the ECoS to send commands to the point motors in the normal way.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1

As soon as there are levers, then much of the power of using the ECoS for layout track control is lost. 

A Lever indicates the position of the turnout.   The lever cannot be moved by another action elsewhere (eg. another operator on a screen, or throttle).   So, introducing levers means there is now a restriction on how flexibly turnouts can be controlled.  

If wanting to use levers, then the arrangement Ron outlines would work, though it is quite expensive.    There are other ways of getting input into an ECoS from levers for turnout control - ESU's own "ECoS Detector Standard" appears to be cheaper per turnout, and there are other options at lower prices (makers include LDT, Digikeijs, and others).   

Or, depending on the layout and the amount of wiring required, it may be as easy and cheaper, to remove DCC control of the turnouts, and put the levers directly onto each turnout motor.  

- Nigel

• Like 2

I have 31 levers interfaced to the ECoS using the ECoS detector Standard. 
Hear a video of a simple set up. It’s all done via ‘routes’ in the ECoS and much better than the DCC Concept Alpha set up. 

The video was done a while ago so price is wrong. 

Edited by two tone green
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning Paul. Have you thought about using the independent switch contacts on the Cobalt Digitals? 

As you know I have the same set up as you except I use routes on ECoS rather than the track plan. 

If I have it right the switch contacts will use the power supplied by the DCC bus to create local control and power the motors over completely independently of DCC commands … which would over-ride any local control when fired. 

The manual Suggests using simple push buttons…. Cobalt digital manual

Yet to try it but an element of local control in our fiddle yard might be good… 

Let me know how it goes! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone, at the moment the ECoS works great and I’m very happy with it, it was more of a question of how the S levers could control iP digitals on there own rather than using the ECoS to change them.

I’ll be honest I’m useless at electronics.

Paul 

25 minutes ago, PjKing1 said:

Thanks everyone, at the moment the ECoS works great and I’m very happy with it, it was more of a question of how the S levers could control iP digitals on there own rather than using the ECoS to change them.

I’ll be honest I’m useless at electronics.

Paul 

Yes it can be done using just the S lever using the passing contacts on it and wiring as per the IP digital manual. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, two tone green said:

Let us know how you get on and do a video of it all working. 

Will do, it will be a while off I think as I need to start the track on the second board, it’s all hand built, so the fun things like point levers might have to wait a bit.

I’ll be doing videos of ballasting and weathering soon though if that tickles your fancy 😉👍🏼

Thanks again

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for asking the question and for the answers.  Rails of Sheffield have a good offer on packs of 12 Cobalt levers (which I like) and I have 12 cobalt IP digital point motors ready for my next layout.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 25/01/2023 at 11:21, two tone green said:

I have 31 levers interfaced to the ECoS using the ECoS detector Standard. 
Hear a video of a simple set up. It’s all done via ‘routes’ in the ECoS and much better than the DCC Concept Alpha set up. 

The video was done a while ago so price is wrong. 

Great video. Adapted on my layout. Great way to control routes. 

Edited by Traveltrains