RMweb

OO-9 or N?

• RMweb Premium

Fellow modellers.  A question.  

Can I use N-gauge Code 55 rail for a OO-9 line or must I use the specific Code 80?  The stock is recent so flange depth shouldn't be an issue but ideally I need a diamond and they seem  unavailable in Code 80.  I also prefer the finescale look of Code 55.  

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Guessing here, but having used Peco 'Code 55' in N years ago, the rail height should be fine for 009, as it's not really true Code 55 on the insides of the rails. It's only the sleeper spacing that is going to be 'wrong'. Easiest way to resolve that is cover it all with ballast.  🙂

• Informative/Useful 1

It's an interesting question Rick. Thank you for asking it; coincidentally I was about to ask, too.

In my case it was about potentially duel purposing an N gauge fiddle yard so it might one day be used on a OO-9 layout.  Does modern OO-9 stock work on code 55?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From my experience, Bachmann Scarloey and Peco L&B coaches are perfectly happy on Peco N Gauge code 80 or 55. I think they use the same wheel profiles as on their N Gauge models (which would make sense!).

Steven B.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, AndyB said:

It's an interesting question Rick. Thank you for asking it; coincidentally I was about to ask, too.

In my case it was about potentially duel purposing an N gauge fiddle yard so it might one day be used on a OO-9 layout.  Does modern OO-9 stock work on code 55?

It would appear that the answer to your question is “Yes”. 

I was a little concerned about running a rake of lightweight (empty) skips through points and crossings on mis-matched track code but it seems this is a non-issue. 

Tentative tests with the two lengths of flexi track and single point which I have suggest all will be well. I have erred on the side of caution and - as only one locomotive will be used - can use electrofrog or unifrog points without worrying about electrical complexities or chipping such tiny things for DCC. . 

• Like 1

Thanks Rick.

And hope you didn't mind me piggybacking onto your thread.

The FY on .y next layout will be a significant part of the build. So I'm trying to future proof it so it could be used in a  u.ber of future potential layouts; even for the possibility of a change of scale! 

I used to run 009/H0e on proper Code 55, Japanese H0e track from Shinohara, and that worked fine with NMRA N-gauge wheel profile, in fact it even worked with 1960s/70s Eggerbahn, because although that has fairly deep flanges they are very thin. What wouldn’t run though the points were Roco wagons, because the flange thickness was quite large, so I had to swap out the wheel sets on those for US N gauge ones. That track was probably more demanding than Peco Faux-55.

The only H0e I have left are a few modern-production Minitrains items, and on those the locos have fine wheels which I’m sure would be 55 compatible, but the wagon wheels look suspiciously similar to Roco ones, so may not be.

Code 55 looks far, far less gross, more realistic, although probably still a bit hefty, than Code 80, which is about right in 7mm/ft.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Out of interest, I just happen to have a slice of worn 35lb/yd FB about my person, just the sort of stuff used on common carrier and heftier industrial lines up to 3ft gauge “back in the day” (this bit came from a Bord na Mona line).

As you can see, it is c85mm tall, scaling significantly under Code 55 in 4mm/ft and very nearly exactly Code 40 in 3.5mm/ft.

Code 40 rail is available, but you need Skills No Ordinary Human Possesses (membership of the 2mm Assoc.) to be able to use it effectively.

F21D9B65-D40E-4B99-B28B-8F4A1BCF285E.jpeg.e4155b874d59ebccba6fde8ec7833d96.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1