GWR 61xx builders plate location

70E

Hi

I am re-numbering a Heljan 61xx O gauge and included with the replacement etched brass numbers is a builders plate, can anyone advise if it is located externally on the loco and if so where exactly?

Many thanks

• RMweb Gold

Swindon ceased putting builder's plates on new build engines in 1911 (Wolverhampton g had. ceased the practice in 1908 when new build construction ended there).  Some engines built by contractors in later years did have a builder's/works plate and i don't think any were removed at a later time..

The Swindon built 61Xx therefore did not have builder's/worksplates

• RMweb Gold

Would that mean that the works plates on pre-1911 Swindon engines and pre-1908 Wolverhampton engines were not replaced at overhaul, Mike?  I ask because one of my intended projects is to be a worked up Wills 1854, 1740, withdrawn TDU 9/50, as a pannier of course, which might need Wolverhampton works plates if they were retained.  My Hornby 42xx is 4218, which just escapes, built Swindon 1912, and currently the 'oldest' BR loco on the layout.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Swindon ceased putting builder's plates on new build engines in 1911 (Wolverhampton g had. ceased the practice in 1908 when new build construction ended there).  Some engines built by contractors in later years did have a builder's/works plate and i don't think any were removed at a later time..

The Swindon built 61Xx therefore did not have builder's/worksplates

Ceased in 1911 but restarted in 1948?

https://www.gwra.co.uk/auctions/diesel-worksplate-built-1959-swindon-ex-br-class-4-2018nov-0393.html

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 70E said:

Hi

I am re-numbering a Heljan 61xx O gauge and included with the replacement etched brass numbers is a builders plate, can anyone advise if it is located externally on the loco and if so where exactly?

Many thanks

Are you sure it's a builders plate as opposed to the oblong notice that goes in the cab that comes with Severn Mill plates?

1 hour ago, ikcdab said:

Well into the BR era though, when they were more likely following LMS practice, along with smokebox number and shed code plates.

The GWR ordered locomotives such as the last of the Castles and Halls didn't get worksplates. I don't think the 16XX did either. But the Swindon built BR Standards did.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Cwmtwrch said:

"Pannier Papers No. 1 - 94xx, 84XX, 34XX" shows quite a few of the class still clearly carrying works plates on the front nearside splasher, some into the 1960s or until earlier withdrawal.

All except the intial 10 Swindon-built locos with higher boiler pressure, presumably.  Other outside contractor locos on GW/WR would include some 57xx panniers and the 66xx series of 56xx 0-6-2T.  The latter were built by Armstrong Whitworth.