Can JMRI be used on a iPad

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was at a friends at the weekend and he uses JMRI and a windows based laptop, but as I use a iPad, is JMRI available for IPad's and IPhone's or is it solely Windows based?

• RMweb Gold

Hi.

You can also run JMRI on Mac OS on a Mac device or on Linux devices but not on an iPad/iPhone.

If you have a Windows PC, Mac/Macbook or Linux device, you install JMRI on there, there are then Apps like WiThrottle that run on the iPad to allow you to control your trains using the JMRI device as an interface.

Hope that helps take care :)

Edited by 08221
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Also worth noting is that anything you've got running on your Mac can be echoed or extended directly to the screen of your iPad using the Mac's inbuilt "Stage Manager" functionality.  You can just drag the bit of JMRI you're interested in over onto your iPad and interact with your finger.  The iPad just becomes an extension of your Mac and it works very well.

I use this all the time with iTrain, but not a lot of use if you've not got a Mac of course...

• Thanks 1

I use my iPad as an additional screen for my Windows laptop with iTrain at exhibitions and it works extremely well.

I generally turn off the touch screen when at shows because it makes it easier to show people what is going on.

Edited by WIMorrison
spelling 😒
  • Informative/Useful 1