RMweb

Hornby new X04 motors?

john new

• RMweb Gold

This may seem an odd question but do the reintroduced Lord of the Isles and 123 the Caley single re-use the original design of motors and gears? If yes are they available as new build spares to retro fit older Tri-ang locos that have lost their motors?

Before any one states that you can get refurbs I know that but the supplier I have seen advertising requires a replacement duff one for exchange. I have three or four models where the motors were lost completely long ago or have various bits missing; a completely new one with the worm fitted as a drop in would be great.

Edited by john new
Formatting.

Make sure you're asking for the right motor, the Triang GWR and Caledonian Singles were fitted with the XT60 motor.

I don't think the new ones have anything like that, I put a decoder in Lorrna Doone a while ago and from what I remember it was a small modern motor fitted in a completely different manner.

Edited by Hroth
a bit more
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

What motors are you after John?

I have a few dismantled old Tri-ang locos, three from memory, but it might be four. All had XO4s I think but after some poor storage a few year back the motors are either lost or too badly damaged.  From memory it is two Nellie 0-4-0 chassis and an early 0-6-0 (plus possibly one more) the old style 08 is definite, the other ? Is  from a Jinty.

11 hours ago, john new said:

I have a few dismantled old Tri-ang locos, three from memory, but it might be four. All had XO4s I think but after some poor storage a few year back the motors are either lost or too badly damaged.  From memory it is two Nellie 0-4-0 chassis and an early 0-6-0 (plus possibly one more) the old style 08 is definite, the other ? Is  from a Jinty.

They will all be X04 or derivatives.

Given the prices being asked for the motors alone, it might be a better bet to look for a ratty old Jinty or Nellie as a donor loco.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, john new said:

PM sent John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Early versions of the nominal "XO4" are branded XO3 and dont have oil pads for the bearings, which XO4 do, there are some with an oil pad on the front bearing only, these have been called "XO3.5"

Physically all the same size.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Slightly more than that. The X03 had an Alinco magnet while the X04 had a  Alcomax magnet - source The Story of Rovex Vol 1 . X03 was later (1978) used for X04 type motors with cut down shafts fitted with a plastic single  thread worm with  a 28:1 ratio compared the 20:1 of the brass worm on the X04 -source - source The Story of Rovex Vol 3.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I spotted this on ebay from a trader called hornsandwhistlesworkshop:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144911822821?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=SkQb4dXvRHS&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=zOCTjQ4TSie&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

i was seriosly tempted despite the higher price compared to a refurb. But it went immediately out of stock. Looks to be part of the burgeoning 3D printing maker industry.

• Informative/Useful 1