Does this truck look 'right' to you?

TEAMYAKIMA

Ok, before we start, let me admit that I can be (am) rather anal.

I run a Faller roadway on my exhibition layout. So, this vehicle will merely pass in front of viewers for a few seconds i.e, is not sitting there stationary for people to study.

The hot summer had a negative effect on one of my trucks

IMG_20220623_145754.jpg.120ff066f972619b74f430329002c0f6.jpg

Which was very annoying because it was one of the most interesting of my trucks - an unique design with an interesting load.

So I have been trying to cobble together something to replace it from bits and pieces in my bits and pieces box.

IMG_20230226_092008.jpg.227c49b35b70ac95a6fb68471fd547b6.jpg

Now let me say that I really don't want to spend much time/effort on this project - as quick and simple as possible is my priority.

My question to people who know about these things is : does that look feasible to you?  To me it seems that be basic truck chassis (three axle) is far too heavy duty for such a simple 'body'. I can't see a simply low-sided body like that needing such a heavy duty chassis - or am I just being anal again?

Would a load of ballast and a couple of workers (as in the original version) look 'OK' to you?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

I used to drive a 3-axle rigid Merc with lifting rear axle years ago. Overall Weight limit (UK) was 26 tonnes, a significant increase on the 18 tonne limit of a 2-axle rigid, without being a lot bigger. To make the most of the payload increase it would usually be a box or curtainsider, unless it was a tipper, which would have higher sides than you have there. The lift axle would drop automatically (if it had been raised) as loading went over a certain weight.

For myself, I would raise the height of the body sides & ends, maybe to the same height as the black line over the cab doors; it really needs it to show the body can hold the weight the chassis implies it can carry, but if the lift axle is fixed in the raised position (as I assume it is) I would run it empty to be more realistic, rather than with a load in it, or maybe for interest just a couple of pallets or crates up against the headboard for some visual interest.

As for workers riding in the back.... 😱🤯🤯🤯 .... but this is China, after all!!

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I used to drive a 3-axle rigid Merc with lifting rear axle years ago. Overall Weight limit (UK) was 26 tonnes, a significant increase on the 18 tonne limit of a 2-axle rigid, without being a lot bigger. To make the most of the payload increase it would usually be a box or curtainsider, unless it was a tipper, which would have higher sides than you have there. The lift axle would drop automatically (if it had been raised) as loading went over a certain weight.

For myself, I would raise the height of the body sides & ends, maybe to the same height as the black line over the cab doors; it really needs it to show the body can hold the weight the chassis implies it can carry, but if the lift axle is fixed in the raised position (as I assume it is) I would run it empty to be more realistic, rather than with a load in it, or maybe for interest just a couple of pallets or crates up against the headboard for some visual interest.

As for workers riding in the back.... 😱🤯🤯🤯 .... but this is China, after all!!

Hope that helps.

Yes, it does thanks. I really want to do as least as possible and you have justified my idea. I think the workers sitting there add a 'wow, look at that' for children and so they will be catching a lift - thanks again

• Like 2

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

I've been thinking about this issue.

Ok, I have decided to leave the body as is but maybe just add a headboard. I assume it would replace the 'end' behind the cab rather than just fit behind it i.e. I need yo cut away the end behind the cab abd replace it with a solid piece of plastic sheet but how tall?

Again, I'm just looking for something that won't jump out at viewers as to being ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

, I have decided to leave the body as is but maybe just add a headboard. I assume it would replace the 'end' behind the cab rather than just fit behind it i.e. I need yo cut away the end behind the cab and replace it with a solid piece of plastic sheet but how tall?

About as high as I suggested the whole body should be - about level with the black line above the cab doors would be ok. 👍

And sorry to raise an old chestnut from waaay back in this thread, but you will be fitting it with mirrors, won't you. 😉😁

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The reason for the 'Heavy duty chassis' is because it was, in the original version, a demountable, or skip lorry. Hence it was designed for any size of container that could be pulled up onto it from the ground.

See image below (hopefully the link will work)

https://www.alamy.com/hooking-of-a-full-container-on-the-truck-image443960221.html?imageid=4E79002D-3542-4781-9BF3-93CFD39A395E&p=1288143&pn=1&searchId=2682976d39cfe56e42969a84deed7d32&searchtype=9

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/02/2023 at 10:13, F-UnitMad said:

OK, I have a new thought - as long as this is not totally ridiculous.

I have had to move a road roller from another scenic area and I thought - that would make an interesting load😉

So, I guess I would need to drop the third axle and I would want to repaint the bright yellow bits.

I don't want to do anything too ridiculous, but I do think this would be eye-catching. Thoughts?

IMG_20230228_191416.jpg.80743b2b8d3495b072551d2a9455f696.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I don't want to do anything too ridiculous, but I do think this would be eye-catching. Thoughts?

Sure we've been here before - sorry but that is a totally inappropriate load, even for the Chinese!!

A road roller is VERY heavy, too heavy for that type of truck and body. It would go on a low loader. 

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Sure we've been here before - sorry but that is a totally inappropriate load, even for the Chinese!!

A road roller is VERY heavy, too heavy for that type of truck and body. It would go on a low loader. 

Yes, I regret to say that you're right. I did float it a year or so ago as a static display with a smaller two axle truck which someone (possibly you) said was inappropriate. OK, I'll abandon that idea, it was just that I like the road roller and now have nowhere to sit it on the layout .

Would this be a better bet for the road roller ? I could have it as a static. Maybe I could cut the trailer and shorten it to better fit the road roller?

aaaaaaa.jpg.ef3f5e25da876a830b6144de53709b34.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2023 at 10:47, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Ok, before we start, let me admit that I can be (am) rather anal.

Climb upon my psychiatrists couch Mr Yakima!

The written word will probably not allow this to come across how I am saying it, it's just an observation not a dig.

Why are you asking us what looks right when the final arbiter is your good self. Go for whatever you're comfortable with, none of us know as much as you do about what happens in China, (not even Donald Trump!).

Mike.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The written word will probably not allow this to come across how I am saying it, it's just an observation not a dig.

Why are you asking us what looks right when the final arbiter is your good self. Go for whatever you're comfortable with, none of us know as much as you do about what happens in China, (not even Donald Trump!).

Hello Mike

I certainly don't take it as a dig at all, but as my layout is purely for exhibitions I think there is a case for saying that the final arbiter(s) are the paying public who come to shows.

I want viewers to have confidence that what I'm showing them about China is authentic. If someone who knows nothing about China, but knows a lot about trucks, sees a blatantly unauthentic truck I think they might think, "How can I believe anything on here is authentic if the one area I'm an expert in is completely wrong?".

Just my anal view.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Yes, I regret to say that you're right. I did float it a year or so ago as a static display with a smaller two axle truck which someone (possibly you) said was inappropriate. OK, I'll abandon that idea, it was just that I like the road roller and now have nowhere to sit it on the layout .

Would this be a better bet for the road roller ? I could have it as a static. Maybe I could cut the trailer and shorten it to better fit the road roller?

It is more appropriate but the trailer probably has 2 too many axles however if you intend to shorten it then you can fix that at the same time. I am afraid I don't know when your layout is set but looking at that MAN tractor unit, it is suitable for between 1995 and roughly 2010, I am also not sure if MAN sold into China, I would have presumed a Hino/FUSO/Mitsubishi might be more appropriate?

2 minutes ago, 37114 said:

It is more appropriate but the trailer probably has 2 too many axles however if you intend to shorten it then you can fix that at the same time. I am afraid I don't know when your layout is set but looking at that MAN tractor unit, it is suitable for between 1995 and roughly 2010, I am also not sure if MAN sold into China, I would have presumed a Hino/FUSO/Mitsubishi might be more appropriate?

Yes, you have caught me out there as being a hypocrite 🤔 

Having just said that everything has to be right, I do accept that a MAN is at best 'unlikely'. However, as I am not a scratchbuilder and as far as I know no-one makes Chinese designed trucks I will have to accept that as the 'best worst option'. And TBH unless someone has access to MAN's export figures, no-one can prove that such a truck was not in China in 2001 when my layout is set.

• Like 2

Ok, here's an update.

I've bought this for the road roller - I will shorten it as necessary.

aaaaaaa.jpg.a591c077ec23ca223fdd7895a8463f95.jpg

I have made a headboard for the Faller truck - or rather I've made two

#1 - TBH when I looked at it I thought it looked too thick

IMG_20230301_142744.jpg.4a31f53145faafd5884113a54b9ccbb4.jpg

So I made #2 and I think it's better - agree?

IMG_20230301_174313.jpg.55d85674cc5e3fdba3b447ba5d32b821.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Looks like you could get away with some Scanias at least?

https://m.chinatrucks.com/news/5654.html

Mike.

Hello Mike

Many thanks for your interest in this project'. I agree that a Scania would probably be a better option, but TBH I have reached the stage where I just want to get everything on the layout sorted ASAP - I have been working on it every day (yes even Xmas Day) up to 12 hours a day since our last exhibition in early May last year. I saw the MAN on ebay and it seemed to be believable and so I went for it - because I can get it soon and just finish it off ASAP.

• Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Instead of a lot of cut'n'shut work, just buy a second road roller!! That trailer could handle two!! 👍

Or just stick the one 'roller on - the haulage company might only have had that trailer available for the job, despite being a bit of 'overkill'. Or the driver's on multi-drop and has already dropped another piece of plant at another site.

Plenty of reasons why a big truck and/or trailer might have a small or part load.

3 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Ok, here's an update.

I have made a headboard for the Faller truck - or rather I've made two

#1 - TBH when I looked at it I thought it looked too thick

IMG_20230301_142744.jpg.4a31f53145faafd5884113a54b9ccbb4.jpg

So I made #2 and I think it's better - agree?

IMG_20230301_174313.jpg.55d85674cc5e3fdba3b447ba5d32b821.jpg

Can't see a lot of difference myself. As it whizzes along the layout, I doubt people will notice the headboard.

Sit the hitchhicking men loose in the back, and have some potholes & bumps in the road - watching them get bounced out the back would be entertaining for the viewers!! 🤣🤣

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Funny 1