Possible Project, Seeking advice : Thompson A1/1

• RMweb Premium

Im looking to model the rebuilt A1/1 4470 Great Northern. There are a few ways i could do this and im seeking advice on which way would be best to go for. The Options are :

Modify a Hornby/Bachmann LNER Peppercorn A1

Modify a Hornby A3/A1 

Build the PDK kit 

The Most logical option would be to build the PDK brass kit but i am not confident that i could do this justice and i am currently undergoing the process of modifying the Hornby K1 into its Nicer-looking Thompson K1/1 predecessor and have converted a B1 into a pacific before so Modifying one of the RTR pacifics seems plausible, If not easy. 

Any ideas are welcome (if you want to see my modified B1 or K1, let me know) 

Edited by Human8984

4470 used an A3/A4 boiler  not the A1/A2 boiler so the firebox is considerably shorter.  Suggests an A3 with a B1 cab would be a good start for 4470 when first desecrated by Thompson.  A Hornby A3 would be my start point, at least they are pretty square and the chimney point straight up unlike many kit built locos, n fact  every kit built loco I have had has been a bit wonky in one plane or another,  The BR era version is more like an A2 rebuild so maybe that is a better starting point.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 07/03/2023 at 07:21, micklner said:

This a combination of Hornby A3 and Graeme King's Resin and etched conversion parts.

Coming back to this after a month or two of pondering, Did you end up  having to replace the smokebox??

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes in BR green like Sandwich for instance that may also have the right tender.

However R2441 and some other NRM Flying  Scotsman releases are the only ones with that combination in LNER green.

Edited by Dominion
Added BR green example

• RMweb Premium

Graeme’s resin parts are very good if he has any left. There is also an accompanying metal etch for valve gear modification for some of the Thompson Pacifics and also a smoke deflector etch including Great Northern’s.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dominion said:

Yes in BR green like Sandwich for instance that may also have the right tender.

What are the names of the ones with the A4 Boiler? I know sandwich is one but im not sure about the others. The tender isnt amazingly important as they are easy to get