Creating printable little people in 5 minutes using just the internet

On 14/03/2023 at 11:41, monkeysarefun said:

Yeah I think thats because it fails to install pytorch3d but no real loss, like you said the .obj file still gets created.

Heres a couple of tests I just did using that collab with a couple of images I found for Edwardian costumes on Etsy, works ok.

699748558_Screenshot(587).png.e82dc4f965ed616cda5aefb1fc80fbe4.png

Ohhh this is exciting, i need to get looking at this pronto then as I would be keen to print some Edwardian figures in 7mm for the club layout

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 5D_Stoke said:

Many thanks, I've now tried that and it went through the first cell stage fine, but at the second stage, image to 3D mesh, when I thought I should be able to select a .png or .jpg file, I get the error message: 
NameError: name 'image_path' is not defined.
Sorry, I have no bank of knowledge to know what's going on! Has it not loaded the program correctly?

Try restarting the runtime (select the runtime menu option from across the top then select restart runtime) then try running the second step again. I do get errors and it all ends in a stack overflow (due to python3d which it needs in order to create the video rendering not installing successfully ) but it still creates an .obj file in the same directory that my image file is in.  

Also, click on the little directory icon down the left hand side, check pifhd is there and it has the sub-directory sample_images.

First attempt, with image straight from google

Image from google 

test1.jpg.ade48e4e9e691c02dcd4dc39e6fa2d1c.jpg

image.png.3deb100a2611896987e2c7b0874343cd.png

Then I thought what if i change the background colour a bit, and levels in photoshop to see if i can get a better result!

Image after slight manipulation darking levels and adding a darker background to help push the contrast between the figure and the background hoping to get a better read for the model

test2.jpg.5c9fb21b5ef9da74e16dedffccc5aa75.jpg

image.png.f99b84e176e13d2fd5ee8f5a6f06d74b.png

Slightly more detail comes through now around the hands as you can see, but still missing some geometry which is annoying so I thought I would try a bit more image editing to see if it helped.

I put in a slight gradient in the background, and coloured the sleeves to help make them more readable i hope?

image amended slightly

test3.jpg.e23c1954cda7d8724379d8dc72eebdf0.jpg

And then finally we are getting more detail to the figure I think i might keep this one, see if I can clean her up slightly in Zbrush and have a go at printing her at 7mm

image.png.5457b61c145e70f0c23d6fdf250942cf.png

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, woko said:

Image from google 

Then I thought what if i change the background colour a bit, and levels in photoshop to see if i can get a better result!

Image after slight manipulation darking levels and adding a darker background to help push the contrast between the figure and the background hoping to get a better read for the model

Slightly more detail comes through now around the hands as you can see, but still missing some geometry which is annoying so I thought I would try a bit more image editing to see if it helped.

I put in a slight gradient in the background, and coloured the sleeves to help make them more readable i hope?

image amended slightly

And then finally we are getting more detail to the figure I think i might keep this one, see if I can clean her up slightly in Zbrush and have a go at printing her at 7mm

Wow, that is a superb result, will redouble efforts to get it to work for me tomorrow. Victorian and Edwardian figures are exactly what I want to create, plus possibly WW1 military.

• Like 1

Just now, 5D_Stoke said:

Wow, that is a superb result, will redouble efforts to get it to work for me tomorrow. Victorian and Edwardian figures are exactly what I want to create, plus possibly WW1 military.

Haha me too chap, exactly what I am after Victorian and Edwardian figures so happy to let you have any figures that come out good sir?

Perhaps we could set up some kind of figure dump for folks who don't mind sharing their meshes for others to potentially use :) 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, woko said:

Haha me too chap, exactly what I am after Victorian and Edwardian figures so happy to let you have any figures that come out good sir?

Perhaps we could set up some kind of figure dump for folks who don't mind sharing their meshes for others to potentially use :) 

Thats excellent - how many vertices? The few Ive played around with have 50 or 60,0000. How did the back come out?

Some caveats 

The AI is programmed to recognise  standing figures, and they must obviously be front facing so I'm not sure how sitting ones would come out...

Black and white photos dont come out as well as coloured though given your results maybe tampering with the contrast and levels would help.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Thanks 1

Just now, monkeysarefun said:

Thats excellent - how many vertices? The few Ive played around with have 50 or 60,0000. How did the back come out?

The AI only recognises standing figures so I'm not sure how sitting ones would come out...

Verts are around 70k, I just knocked this one up playing around with the background I have noticed that gradients seem to work a little better, and finding the best contrast for the background to the figure.

For instance if the figure is darker at top make the gradient lighter, at the top, and bit darker at the bottom!

Still not bang on, the right hand on this little chap is a bit dodge but i can perhaps rub that down a bit we shall see or continue to try and buff out in zbrush!

image.png.dd29d4ce55036428831ed798596ba5cb.png

• Like 1

I must add trying this to my To-Do list, as I'm after Victorian/Edwardian figures too.

Has anyone tried rigging them in Blender to make different poses? I think this should be possible. This is also something I want to try, but am still trying to get my head round starting in Blender!

I found a nice gentleman in his top hat and he worked out quite well through the 2D - 3D app. I did have to tidy up his hat, but that was about it. It's actually a fancy dress costume, but it still works very well.

1623422162_Manintophat.PNG.473e554372be93f9fa7295e0ed45276c.PNG

Pictured here printed to 7mm, along with a rather lovely sarcophagus that's in the grounds of Kingston Lacy house in Dorset. I did a quick lap around it and captured about 40 photos, before uploading them to Kiriengine and creating a really nice little model. The American student - Annie has now been painted, so I've added her to the shot as well. 3D viewing links here:

https://www.kiriengine.app/share/ShareModel?code=AM34IJ&serialize=fddf1f2720bb41ed8a2fb32afa1f645d

https://www.kiriengine.app/share/ShareModel?code=AM34IJ&serialize=764c08e4f4904889803e0f8794363e62

image.png.d8213500b6f81802a7bc343c7026584a.png

image.png.0254e74d78ea5bdd6f7d0f381f888d0b.png

I updated my old original Mars printer with a new mono LCD and Mars 2 firmware. It's more than halved the print times and uses the more efficient .ctb files, so the processing and Z lift control is much improved. Less than 2 hours to print out both models - something that would have taken 5 with the old screen and firmware.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, noiseboy72 said:

One of 12 I've printed out today for butcher's scales apparently... 

I shall share my collection of little people you have printed for me once Royal Fail get them to me and I can get the paints out 😁

• Like 1

On 20/03/2023 at 23:25, woko said:

Image from google 

image amended slightly

This was my attempt from your picture...

image.png.5c62eccd4153b3be8cc60a970482dd03.png

Main problem looks to be hands and feet. I've added her a peg leg, which should be OK up to 7mm, but I might need to graft on some hands from another model.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2023 at 18:06, noiseboy72 said:

I found a nice gentleman in his top hat and he worked out quite well through the 2D - 3D app. I did have to tidy up his hat, but that was about it. It's actually a fancy dress costume, but it still works very well.

1623422162_Manintophat.PNG.473e554372be93f9fa7295e0ed45276c.PNG

Pictured here printed to 7mm, along with a rather lovely sarcophagus that's in the grounds of Kingston Lacy house in Dorset. I did a quick lap around it and captured about 40 photos, before uploading them to Kiriengine and creating a really nice little model. The American student - Annie has now been painted, so I've added her to the shot as well. 3D viewing links here:

https://www.kiriengine.app/share/ShareModel?code=AM34IJ&serialize=fddf1f2720bb41ed8a2fb32afa1f645d

https://www.kiriengine.app/share/ShareModel?code=AM34IJ&serialize=764c08e4f4904889803e0f8794363e62

image.png.d8213500b6f81802a7bc343c7026584a.png

image.png.0254e74d78ea5bdd6f7d0f381f888d0b.png

I updated my old original Mars printer with a new mono LCD and Mars 2 firmware. It's more than halved the print times and uses the more efficient .ctb files, so the processing and Z lift control is much improved. Less than 2 hours to print out both models - something that would have taken 5 with the old screen and firmware.

A quick photo update following painting..

20230323_131816.jpg

• Like 4

On 20/03/2023 at 23:34, woko said:

I have had some limited success with this yesterday on one test photo, here is the resulting .obj file (green image from Netfabb) and then tidied up (grey photos) with a few minutes work in Blender (which I am fortunately fairly familiar with at a basic level of sculpting and revising figures created in other programs). I've not tried 3D printing her yet but that should be relatively straightforward.
This program does look like it offers a relatively quick way to generate standing figures in 4mm scale (or smaller) that would look good enough painted, but attempts to get it to work with sitting or more complicated figures failed completely. The mesh is reasonably fine but the program creates all sorts of anomalies, e.g. hands vary from quite well defined to non-existent (as on this example pictured - the right hand is decent, left one missing from the elbow!). Over 4mm scale they are a bit too basic.
For sitting and more complicated 4mm figures I have used DAZ, and also MakeHuman, and these give superb detail for 7mm and 16mm figures that I also print, but such programs are a huge learning curve to get usable outputs and there are frustrating limits in how much my laptop will cope with to export and fix the files for 3D printing, so  I was rather hopeful of making something quicker and easier this way. The technology can only improve, thanks for sharing it! If I manage any better ones I will share them on here.

_5_0_5055305426708.main.jpg

result__5_0_5055305426708.main_256.png

result__5_0_5055305426708.main_256 Nettfabb image 1.jpg

result__5_0_5055305426708.main_256 Blencer mod test image 2.jpg

result__5_0_5055305426708.main_256 Blender mod test image 1.jpg

8 hours ago, 5D_Stoke said:

I have had some limited success with this yesterday on one test photo, here is the resulting .obj file (green image from Netfabb) and then tidied up (grey photos) with a few minutes work in Blender (which I am fortunately fairly familiar with at a basic level of sculpting and revising figures created in other programs). I've not tried 3D printing her yet but that should be relatively straightforward.
This program does look like it offers a relatively quick way to generate standing figures in 4mm scale (or smaller) that would look good enough painted, but attempts to get it to work with sitting or more complicated figures failed completely. The mesh is reasonably fine but the program creates all sorts of anomalies, e.g. hands vary from quite well defined to non-existent (as on this example pictured - the right hand is decent, left one missing from the elbow!). Over 4mm scale they are a bit too basic.
For sitting and more complicated 4mm figures I have used DAZ, and also MakeHuman, and these give superb detail for 7mm and 16mm figures that I also print, but such programs are a huge learning curve to get usable outputs and there are frustrating limits in how much my laptop will cope with to export and fix the files for 3D printing, so  I was rather hopeful of making something quicker and easier this way. The technology can only improve, thanks for sharing it! If I manage any better ones I will share them on here

Thanks for posting I agree I think for 4mm this program would work okish but for the larger scales the detail isn’t there!

I need to look at make human not had a chance to yet! It’s getting the attire/clothes for the characters I want which is the issue! Sadly they don’t really cater for the Victorian/Edwardian period!  :(

8 hours ago, 5D_Stoke said:

• RMweb Gold

So my mini me is joined by my sons.
5DFB3E6F-CC3A-4875-8601-171D51B20800.jpeg.8944ab7c00e9ca5c5f2f92e4b01954e2.jpeg

Unlike my good self they have been created from the following photo

BF9335D0-9204-4A7D-8B72-CC7E6E959E5D.jpeg.5f5840b510fab82f64c0cd935cd94140.jpeg

removebg used and individual images created. Still a bit more painting to do, although Josh has been brought more up to date with the beard he now sports

• Like 6

• 3 months later...