The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Credit Card problems

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I had a replacement CC from the bank, due to the previous one expiring.

The card number is the same, it has a new expiry date 4 years hence and a new CVV number.

However since I have been using it I have had it declined more in a couple of months than the previous one did in 4 years.

Today I tried to make a purchase from Accurascale at my desktop. I got a ringback from the bank to my landline phone and duly entered the code into the phone.

It said the transaction was approved but when it went back to Accurascale to complete the purchase it said the transaction was declined.

I tried 3 times, same result. I swapped to my debit card, which went through without a problem, even though I haven't used it for about 6 months and then to just get money from a hole in the wall.

Earlier at an Indian takeaway where I have previously used my CC it was also declined. Same thing has happened at Aldi for a £10 purchase and several other places.

Interestingly, a little later I got an automated security call from the bank to my landline to verify the declined transactions today was actually me!

All had to do was confirm my name and whether I had made the "purchases" (including the declined ones) by pressing "1".

If the person that had had the 3 declined purchases (approved by phone call) wasn't me, then surely the person using the same landline that confirmed it was me could also have been the imposter.

How does that check the security?☹️

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

NEVER rely totally on one method of electronic payment!

Always have the means of being able to get home and have a feed on the way from wherever you are! Cash for that will do you no harm.

Edited by kevinlms
More info and later for typo.
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Spookily enough, I’ve had a very similar experience to your own recently.  And also involving a model railway purchase that was initially declined online, with subsequent ‘phone verification. 

I put it down to the credit card company being ultra cautious in the period immediately after a new card being sent out, just in case it had been intercepted in transit before reaching me, the legitimate card holder. 

Was it annoying?  Marginally at the time, but a whole lot less hassle and stress than having to deal with real card fraud.

As @kevinlms suggests, my wallet always has one alternative method of payment.

All credit card providers have tightened security measures. One of mine is now useless for online purchases as a result and my others all require security login in via the App to approve.

I generally never use a new card for online or contactless until I’ve used a hole in the wall - it’s the old activation method but I’ve stuck with it

Edited by black and decker boy
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 2

I had a new card last month.

I thought that I had better try it out over the counter locally just to be sure that all was OK.

£500 went through wihout any questions or further checks.

The next day around £33 on line had to go through the whole text back a code procedure.

I always carry two cards and at least enough cash to see me through the day.

It is also essential to have an active mobile on yout person these days just in case.

I have not used a hole in the wall since the start of covid.

Benard

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

My wife received a new credit card recently and today decided to check the letter sent separately with the PIN on it, which is on a scratchy block.

She was trying to work out what it was, as the first part was unreadable and got me to look. I eventually figured out that the PIN was 4 digits are quite clear, but the first part, probably said something like 'your pin' - so no problem!

Yep my credit card keeps getting declined for online purchases even with a zero balance and my full limit available, they also have noticed I am using a different computer or my wife is using it on her ipad, talk about big brother watching you.

• Agree 1

Interesting first comment there - in all the years I've had bank cards/credit cards, I cannot recall a replacement card ever having the same main number. Has the bank's IT system simply been unable to cope with what, on the face of it, might make things easier for the customer?

Mark

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

It is also essential to have an active mobile on yout person these days just in case.

I don't have one and I don't have any need or desire for one, and manage to get by fine. Lugging an expensive piece of electronics with me at all times just to get on with day to day life isn't a path that appeals in the slightest. I've never had an issue with paying with a debit card in person (although for small amounts I still just stick to cash). For online payments I use a credit card and get checks (they'll call the landline with a code), but I've only had a lot of hassle once, and that was for a fairly large payment (fancy new computer, so probably just the sort of thing that'll attract more security checking). Mind you the new card is due sometime this year.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Interesting first comment there - in all the years I've had bank cards/credit cards, I cannot recall a replacement card ever having the same main number. Has the bank's IT system simply been unable to cope with what, on the face of it, might make things easier for the customer?

Mark

I’ve had same number quite a few times.

perhaps different banks have different policy in this regard 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

If it's a replacement due to expiry, I believe it gets replaced with the same details (except for the dates, obviously). If it gets replaced due to having been compromised or thought to be compromised, then an entirely different number is sent on the new one.

I suspect, that it's to do with any direct debits on it, which is why it's easier to keep the number, if practical.

Some banks give you a card number which is the same as the account number, others give you different numbers, the last few digits vary.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Fairynuff...

I can only speak from personal experience 😎

Mark

I've discovered my bank now doesn't like me making transactions past midnight or thereabouts - purchases or even transfer of funds to immediate family members - so now I check the time before doing anything.

At least it stops the odd possibly ill-considered 'small hours' purchase of a suddenly-discovered "bargain" just before going to bed - you know, the kind which next morning in the cold light of day you have second thoughts about..........🤔!

I always have debit and credit cards in my wallet, plus some cash (yes, I was once a Boy Scout.....!), and during these uncertain times make sure I have enough of the latter to cover the weekly grocery shop/car refuel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

I generally never use a new card for online or contactless until I’ve used a hole in the wall - it’s the old activation method but I’ve stuck with it

Credit Card?

Never ever used one in a hole in the wall, 'cos I won't pay the charges for doing so..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Some banks give you a card number which is the same as the account number, others give you different numbers, the last few digits vary.

Difficult

UK bank accounts are 8 digits, Cards are 16.

I'm with Lloyds, many many years ago I had a 6 digit accouint number but it was replaced with an 8 digit.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Credit Card?

Never ever used one in a hole in the wall, 'cos I won't pay the charges for doing so..

Banks that charge you for using their card in an ATM? What sort of place do you live in?

My bank in Australia has no fee for selected bank ATM withdrawals. Using other banks ATM's, MAY incorporate a charge, depending what agreements are in place.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, kevinlms said:

Banks that charge you for using their card in an ATM? What sort of place do you live in?

My bank in Australia has no fee for selected bank ATM withdrawals. Using other banks ATM's, MAY incorporate a charge, depending what agreements are in place.

You're not generally charged for using an ATM in the UK, but if you're using a credit card as opposed to a debit card then it's a cash advance or whatever it's called, so they will bill you for that. 

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Difficult

UK bank accounts are 8 digits, Cards are 16.

I'm with Lloyds, many many years ago I had a 6 digit accouint number but it was replaced with an 8 digit.

Just checked 2 credit cards with different banks in Australia. They are Mastercard & Visa cards, issued by the banks.

The Mastercard one has the same 16 digit numbers and the Visa has 16 digit numbers, with the last 2 being different.

So as I suggested, it depends on the bank.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

You're not generally charged for using an ATM in the UK, but if you're using a credit card as opposed to a debit card then it's a cash advance or whatever it's called, so they will bill you for that. 

OK, you're correct, I use a debit card for any cash withdrawals, which are usually free, except when it's the 'wrong' bank.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

As a rule, if the ATM is operated by an actual bank* (i.e. mounted in the wall / window of a branch) then you will not be charged the banks having agreed in the 1990s to absorb the transaction fees which occur when a card issued by bank X is used in a ATM owned by bank Y.

If however the ATM is operated by a 3rd party*then you may well be charged a fee for withdrawing money regardless of the card type (and if its a credit card you will most likely be charged a a cash advance fee on top!)

* Typically ATMs that charge a fee will be at railway stations, motorway services, petrol stations, inside pubs / nightclubs, outside / inside corner shops, etc. ATMs at supermarkets usually do not make a charge though - partially because competition in the grocery market for customers is intensive and also because many supermarkets have set up banking / financial sub divisions in recent years.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Do supermarkets in the UK make cash withdrawals at the check out, for free? It is actively encouraged in Australia, because otherwise they would have to pay a security mob, to take it away at a percentage fee.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Do supermarkets in the UK make cash withdrawals at the check out, for free? It is actively encouraged in Australia, because otherwise they would have to pay a security mob, to take it away at a percentage fee.

Such schemes are known as 'Cashback' schemes in the UK.

I don't know the actual situation with supermarkets but given ATMs at UK supermarkets do not charge a fee to withdraw cash (plus the industry desire to get rid of manned checkouts in favour of self service ones) there isn't actually a need to offer such a service - customers can make use of the free ATM instead.