The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Credit Card problems

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Here we have six digit PINs and two step authentication for online shopping. Whenever I buy anything online or pay a bill I get an OTP on my mobile which I have to enter online within a given time (60 seconds is normal). All quite secure, yet fraud is a big issue here, it's funny but although physical crimes and anti-social behaviour are rare they have a real problem with online fraud and telescams. It's that bad that if I see a foreign number or a phone number which shows the +65 code I decline the call unless it's from a contact. No supermarket cashback here, which is a shame as it was very handy in the UK. And contactless ('paywave' here) is usable up to your card daily limit (for higher value transactions they'll also ask for a signature).

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Two factor identification is all very well, for one of my cards I do it through the bank's app, the other by a text message.

It all works fine except that I can't always get a mobile signal in my house and for the app have to remember to turn on wifi. 

David

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Do supermarkets in the UK make cash withdrawals at the check out, for free? It is actively encouraged in Australia, because otherwise they would have to pay a security mob, to take it away at a percentage fee.

Yes but only on a debit card, not a credit card - there's probably a maximum amount you can have (I don't recall ever using the option)

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Two factor identification is all very well, for one of my cards I do it through the bank's app, the other by a text message.

It all works fine except that I can't always get a mobile signal in my house and for the app have to remember to turn on wifi. 

David

Are you not able to use wi-fi calling for the mobile? This allows the call to be directed via your router and is specifically intended for just the situation you describe. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, RFS said:

Are you not able to use wi-fi calling for the mobile? This allows the call to be directed via your router and is specifically intended for just the situation you describe. 

I hadn't thought of that.

Many thanks.

David

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Credit Card?

Never ever used one in a hole in the wall, 'cos I won't pay the charges for doing so..

I didn’t say I withdrew cash but by using the PIN, you activated the card by proving ID (back in the day), I usually check balance then end transaction.

I withdraw cash these days about 3 times a year and usually only to move between accounts that don’t allow online transfers. I rarely use or carry cash for spending.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Do supermarkets in the UK make cash withdrawals at the check out, for free? It is actively encouraged in Australia, because otherwise they would have to pay a security mob, to take it away at a percentage fee.

Certainly pre-pestilence on a debit card, not sure about a credit card. Same here, % fee for cash deposited into a business account. It's one reason why savvy operators pay some invoices in cash, not to diddle HMRC but just to reduce bank charges. 

• RMweb Premium

Financial company security systems area complete joke and at the same time a complete PITA.

I regularly purchase from a major model railway retailer but cannot get beyond their (external) security system. It rejects 2 UK debit cards on different banks, as well as a German credit card and a French debit card.  I suspect it is due to unique characters in the address that do not correctly translate/map at the receiving end.  So everything has to be done the old fashioned way with letters and cheques.

And don't get me started on proof of address and proof of identity for banks and other financial institutions.  Our address recently changed - just the address not where we live - we got a street name and house number to provide more detail for delivery of mail and packages.  I have jumped through hoops getting documents approved by said banks and institutions for the change and in some cases am still in process.   They demand more and more by way of secured, confirmed and certified proof.

I looked back at the processes by which the documents, that have been required as proof of address that have been approved or are in process, have had the new address recorded.

Firstly, I filled out an on line form for the telephone and thence all bills have had the new address.  This was the accepted to approve the change of address at my French and German banks who happily use the new address.  Other bills result from the authorities. 

Secondly, in my last tax declaration, I told the tax office my new address.  Since then tax bills, water bills, council tax bills etc.  all have the new address.

So all of the proofs of address come back to one thing.  I told someone (telephone company or tax office) that I had a new address.  

That is all very secure isn't it?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, RFS said:

Not all mobiles / calling plans / tariffs support this feature!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Not all mobiles / calling plans / tariffs support this feature!

Yes I know that, which is why I asked the question. I myself just have a simple PAYG mobile which fortunately works fine at home as it doesn't allow wi-fi calling. 

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Most people wanting cash at a supermarket will pay for small value shopping with the card (say about £10) and ask for £30 cashback. No fee is charged.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Certainly pre-pestilence on a debit card, not sure about a credit card. Same here, % fee for cash deposited into a business account. It's one reason why savvy operators pay some invoices in cash, not to diddle HMRC but just to reduce bank charges. 

When we had the Guest house, (2000s) Lloyds bank allowed me to run a business account on the personal account.

So I had the large business paying in books etc. but no charges. It still had my personal direct debits as well as business ones.

N.B. we weren't VAT registered.

I'm not so sure they would be quite so accommodating these days or have allowed it if we were paying VAT

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Most people wanting cash at a supermarket will pay for small value shopping with the card (say about £10) and ask for £30 cashback. No fee is charged.

I just did that here a few hours ago with a $5.00 purchase and $50.00 cashback using my debit card; Publix (grocery store chain) has a cashback limit of $100.00. A lot of stores here offer that service.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, RFS said:

Not all phones or carriers support it, especially 3rd party resellers, often chains such as supermarkets, although becoming more common.

Edited by kevinlms
More info