Farish Class 24 - BR Blue - what ones have been done to date?

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I currently have a couple of Farish class 24s on the way to me in the post.  What I am curious about it what ones in BR TOPS numbered blue livery have been manufactred and when.  At the moment I know only of the following:

TOPS    Cat. No.       Year of release

24077  unknown

24035  372-975

24081  372-978

24064  372-975A      2022

I am sure there was one that was also available in a set along with a couple of bogie parcels vehicles.  Was that 24077, or another number?  If  that's the one form the set was it also available separately?

As ever, thanks in advance for any help or information.

Regards,

Alex.

23 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I’ve got 24077 and that was the one from the parcels set. Wanting some parcels stock it was a bargain, £98 for the lot IIRC. 

Bob

I seem to recall I too wanted the parcels stock more than the loco but the price was amazing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steven B said:

The N Gauge Resource is a good place to start:

http://ngauge.org/bac_dloco_24.php

Farish don't usually release a loco from a set as a stand-alone item (at least not with the same running number). Many shops split sets so they're not too tricky to track down by themselves if needed.

Steven B.

Thanks for this.  It's new to me.

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

That site's a handy resource so thanks for that, but it does highlight the fact that the only BR blue livery variant that Farish released their Class 45 in was an obscure grey stripe version. I mean, WTF??

But the 46 was a nice shade of blue albeit pre TOPS.

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

That site's a handy resource so thanks for that, but it does highlight the fact that the only BR blue livery variant that Farish released their Class 45 in was an obscure grey stripe version. I mean, WTF??

If the first Farish Peak releases reflected the first OO range (D67 / D163 / 45114 / 46053), I got the impression that there was a desire to differentiate the models on the shop shelves - D67 green with off-white stripes and side grille frames, D163 plain green, 45114 blue with off-white stripes and light grey roof, 46053 plain blue. Modellers wanting a blue Class 45 were not best served by this, especially as I can find no evidence that the real 45114 was ever painted that way - I think 45110/121 got the stripes and a different 45 got a grey roof (?)

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, Halvarras said:

If the first Farish Peak releases reflected the first OO range (D67 / D163 / 45114 / 46053), I got the impression that there was a desire to differentiate the models on the shop shelves - D67 green with off-white stripes and side grille frames, D163 plain green, 45114 blue with off-white stripes and light grey roof, 46053 plain blue. Modellers wanting a blue Class 45 were not best served by this, especially as I can find no evidence that the real 45114 was ever painted that way - I think 45110/121 got the stripes and a different 45 got a grey roof (?)

I did once see a picture of a 45 with a similar livery variant, I can't recall the exact number, but the fact that Farish choose a really rare livery version is just bizarre, if not totally surprising.

12 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I did once see a picture of a 45 with a similar livery variant, I can't recall the exact number, but the fact that Farish choose a really rare livery version is just bizarre, if not totally surprising.

To be fair, if the moulds broke then that might explain why the unique livery did not get followed up by a plain banger blue one.

Farish always do the oddities first (or did in the days before dealer specials) to get them out of the way and have people buy them before the most popular liveries appear as it increased sales.

A tactic being employed by Rapido in doing the class 44 first and not last or alongside the more popular class 45 variants - they might even do the class 46 before the 45.

Edited by woodenhead

1 minute ago, Alex TM said:

Hi @woodenhead,

That's a new story to me; would you care to elaborate?

Thanks.

Alex.

There have been uncorroborated reports that the Peaks never got a re-run because the moulds got damaged - they were the last developed model iirc before DCC became a thing - they never went through a DCC upgrade and had no lights and there's not even been a model available since 2013 - a decade ago now.

It was hoped that perhaps with the latest retool in OO that N gauge Peaks would again be available but this time Next18 & Speakers - but alas so far nothing and Rapido have jumped in now with the 44.  So if there is a Graham Farish Peak in development they are going to need to show it soon or lose out to Rapido.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, woodenhead said:

To be fair, if the moulds broke then that might explain why the unique livery did not get followed up by a plain banger blue one.

Farish always do the oddities first (or did in the days before dealer specials) to get them out of the way and have people buy them before the most popular liveries appear as it increased sales.

A tactic being employed by Rapido in doing the class 44 first and not last or alongside the more popular class 45 variants - they might even do the class 46 before the 45.

Yeah, but you'd think that they'd want to get back their investment ASAP. I seem to remember that this oddball variant ended up being discounted as is often the case. Perhaps the tooling breaking is a bit of Karma for Bachmann.

23 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Yeah, but you'd think that they'd want to get back their investment ASAP. I seem to remember that this oddball variant ended up being discounted as is often the case. Perhaps the tooling breaking is a bit of Karma for Bachmann.

They do, but they know that people who want a particular model will buy other less popular variants if they cannot buy the one they want - it happens a lot with coaches, the first releases are the less popular versions and we have to wait for the maroon variant that everybody really wanted - how else did I end up with carmine and cream Hawksworth coaches - because they were there and the maroons weren't.

If they did maroon first, people feast on them and don't buy the earlier livery later - leading to price cuts...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Wanted to say thanks for all the answers, links, and interesting side chat.

I have now managed to track down a couple of the class 24s via the usual online sellers.  A new layout project, in a new scale, and using these should appear sometime soon.

Regards,

Alex.