Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

"OO" D1000 Western Enterprise in Desert Sand

rogerzilla

Yes, the one once made by Lima with the wrong running number.

This model is exclusive to STEAM in Swindon (the clue is obviously not in the name) and they had a big poster up in the reception area yesterday.  No idea if it's any good as a model, and I don't do OO diesel, but it gave me a nostalgic pang as I had the old Lima one!

https://shop.myonlinebooking.co.uk/steammuseum/shop/category.aspx?catid=23

No prices on the shop yet, but it's about £200.  I think my old Lima one was £8.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

No idea if it's any good as a model, and I don't do OO diesel,

It's Dapol and it's a very good model, unlike the Lima one.

• Agree 2

I still have the Lima version.  It's equipped with Shawplan name and number plates, proper skirts at one end and a replacement coupling.  Pulls well, though screams away in the Lima fashion.  All i have to be careful about is not to place it next to my Dapol Western.  Then you notice the faults.  But it captured the look well.  I couldn't part with it!

• Like 1

Around 12-15 years ago Swindon's Spot-On Models was still selling (or trying to) mint boxed Lima 'D1023' Western Enterprise models for an eye-watering £89.99 - I had to look twice as I thought I was seeing things! My four Lima Westerns (two maroon and two blue) cost me a total of £28 in 1981 - I've done a lot of work to them and can't part with them either!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Limas western was lovely in its day.

D1016 was one of my favourites too, still have one.

Dapols Western was a revolution when it was first made and still is a cracking model.

Its been over taken a little by more recent models, but its still a great one.

• Like 1

IIRC Hornby's Western arrived just before Lima's - it was perhaps a pity that both manufacturers launched their models two years or so after the real locos had bowed out instead of two years before and capitalised on their popularity (probably an insufficient word!) - I knew I wanted four but some aspects of the Hornby model were unsatisfactory in my eyes so I waited for Lima's effort to turn up so allow a comparison.......

Considering the Warship and Western were 'brothers' I was disappointed that Lima had not repeated the Warship's reasonably flush glazing with chrome-printed frames on the Western, so the family resemblance was muddied. Nonetheless it won the Battle of the Westerns. I really didn't like the Hornby model's printed cab window frames, which weren't always printed centrally on the windscreens, and I couldn't see an easy fix for this. I preferred the Lima model's one-piece bodyshell and larger wheels with brake rodding. The ridiculous moulded-on oil lamps were no more an issue than the moulded handrails, since they'd all go for full repainting. I may have cut flush glazing if I only had the one, but I wasn't doing it for four - instead I used black paint to disguise the thickness of the frames. I came up with a solution to Lima's usual giant couplings too, involving Hornby metal coupling bars and bits of N gauge rail..... I'm planning to refurbish them (some have shed traction tyres and  etched plates since their last exhibition appearance in late 2005) and at some point I'll post some pics of these and their 'supporting cast', in the hope that somebody may find them of interest after all these years.....!

I still have a Hornby Western (in Inter City livery!) and - as was often the case with Hornby - its basic shape and details are very good; it was let down by some aspects of its execution - the untidy joint between body and chassis, that glazing, those small wheels, the raised name and number plates (not a good idea)........I'll forgive the swinging front valances as there was no easy solution when big couplings and trainset curves had to be catered for.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hornby’s Western I always saw as a toy.

I skipped Heljan’s it just looked wrong, but leaped in to Dapols which is a fantastic model at its time set the new technical pace.

Still nothing wrong with it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a Heljan Desert Sand Western Enterprise, a Dapol Maroon D1010 and a Dapol Green D1002. When I park them up on adjacent shad roads, they all look like Westerns. I  just wish that any of them could couple with anything using Kadees. The heights / droop are appalling and are forever leaving coaches behind if they can get over points without the trip pin stopping them suddenly.