Different Iron Tips for 145/179/188 and Low-Melt Solders?

• RMweb Premium

I've heard conflicting reports that it's best not to use the same Soldering Iron Tips on both Low-Melt (70 degree whitemetal) and "normal" solders (such as 145/179/188 degree).  Is this correct, and if so then why?

Many thanks,

Brian

I use the same tips for low melt and normal solder, but you need to remove the solder first off the tip before changing to low melt or visa versa. I use scrap etch for this

I think the advice is simply for contamination between the two types 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

In my day job mixing solders on the tip is a very bad idea as you end up with cross contamination between the different solders. In a hobby environment then that's of little to no consequence so I don't bother changing tips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Modern tips have a very thin plating over the tip, once this has been damaged its the dearth nell for the tip. Thankfully tips are cheap

For years I used the Antex method of using their wet sponge method, which works very well

My solder station came with a "tip cleaner pot" which has some form of resin in the bottom and something which looks like a pot sourer, this works even better and I have no idea why I resisted using one for years

I have found not to use anything abrasive and tips do not last for ever 

• Agree 3