Heljan 4mm AC railbus dummy 21 pin plug burnt out!

bubbles2

My AC railbus seems to have burnt out its 21 pin dummy plug, it was travelling along happily then slowed and the passenger compartment filled with smoke.  Initially I expected the motor to to have burnt out and started dismantling but still haven’t discovered how to access the motor. What I did find was the dummy 21 pin dummy plug with 2 burnt and smelly components, L1 and L2, I’m hoping  the motor is ok, just wondered if anyone that runs DCC has a dummy 21 pin plug from an AC railbus they don’t need, I only run dc, or could I use any 21 pin dummy plug?

• RMweb Gold

6 hours ago, bubbles2 said:

My AC railbus seems to have burnt out its 21 pin dummy plug, it was travelling along happily then slowed and the passenger compartment filled with smoke.  Initially I expected the motor to to have burnt out and started dismantling but still haven’t discovered how to access the motor. What I did find was the dummy 21 pin dummy plug with 2 burnt and smelly components, L1 and L2, I’m hoping  the motor is ok, just wondered if anyone that runs DCC has a dummy 21 pin plug from an AC railbus they don’t need, I only run dc, or could I use any 21 pin dummy plug?

I would be very careful as whatever has caused those components (inductors I assume) to burn out is probably not associated with blanking plate itself and is indicative of another fault. 

Roy

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

I would be very careful as whatever has caused those components (inductors I assume) to burn out is probably not associated with blanking plate itself and is indicative of another fault. 

Roy

You’re right, on further investigation I’ve found the motor is burnt out so I guess it’s toast, looks like spares are just about non existent, Gaugemaster is a very poor substitute for Howes of Oxford sadly, have sent an email but looking at their listings there’s not much hope.

• Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, bubbles2 said:

You’re right, on further investigation I’ve found the motor is burnt out so I guess it’s toast, looks like spares are just about non existent, Gaugemaster is a very poor substitute for Howes of Oxford sadly, have sent an email but looking at their listings there’s not much hope.

I have a W &M railbus and that too made a funny smell with smoke ,

On dismantling , it was found to have scorch marks on the pc board (this was running on D.C )

Further dismantling found the motor had given up the ghost .

Peters Spares do these motors , they're very good . 

However , they supply the motors without the combined flywheels/ worm drives , you have to remove them from the stricken motor ......not easy !

I had to use the heat from my  plumbers blowlamp to 'ease' them off .

Perhaps someone out there has a less crude method of removing them,

Hope this Helps 

Albie 

• Informative/Useful 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am glad I found this thread. Just today I went through all of what the previous posters have gone through, the slowing down of the railcar, then the smoke filling the passenger compartment and the really foul smell! 

I think I am lucky in that it has been in service for many years but then I have many, many locos and railcars that have done far more work than this poor little AC Railcar had done.

Oh well such is life!

1 hour ago, Anoldpom said:

I am glad I found this thread. Just today I went through all of what the previous posters have gone through, the slowing down of the railcar, then the smoke filling the passenger compartment and the really foul smell! 

I think I am lucky in that it has been in service for many years but then I have many, many locos and railcars that have done far more work than this poor little AC Railcar had done.

Oh well such is life!

I managed to pick up a second hand motor complete with flywheels just last week on ebay.

The railcar isn't the easiest thing to dismantle and probably harder to reassemble , the wiring looking particularly awkward .

Will probably shoehorn an adapter board or maybe just hard wire a decoder into it , not sure yet .

It's at the end of  a very long to do list however.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well that didn't end  well ! 

Had a go at fitting the replacement motor after soldering the grey and orange wires to the motor terminals .

It all went pear shaped after fitting heatshrink on to those joints and trying to fit the whole ensemble into the cradle 

into which the motor lays .

Its difficult to get the wires into the channels , the heatshrink comes away and terminals are exposed and they very 

close to the metal casting .

It was while ' fettling ' the wire that the one of the motor terminals snapped  making the motor useless .

It was simply uneconomic to spend another 35 quid on a motor to put into a model that one can buy for around £80 on ebay 

Therefore , the model was quite literally shown the bin .

Were I to attempt to do a similar project , I might leave the heatshrink out and perhaps insulate the terminals with nail varnish 

or perhaps mastik .

I have the spoof departmental version waiting for the sound treatment but will not be going where near the motor .....I hope !

• Friendly/supportive 1