Legs for scale model scenery baseboards

meatloaf

Got some SMS baseboards. Overall length is about 8 foot made up of 6 boards bolted together.

What legs would people recommend with these and how many will i need.?  One in each corner plus a pair in the midde? Or will i need more?

• RMweb Gold

I'd create a long horizontal support and either make legs or use some trestles such as Screwfix?

This is what I've done on Cropper Street

52510794113_b640770d81_c.jpg

and in rehearsal...you can see where the trestles slot in

52289798739_1a7122f2a4_z.jpg

Chris H

Edited by Gilbert
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

You mentioned in another post that you've bought 2 x BB001 and 3 x BB002.

BB001's are 400*290mm in plan and BB002's are 405*290mm. Total length = 2015mm.

It's probably not a good idea to rely on the bolts at the joins keeping them rigid if they are unsupported. So if you use them as is, you either need legs at the ends and under every join (crazy) or you need something rigid under the entire length and then something to hold that up - i.e. the trestles and beams solution mentioned above. The problem with that is that the trestles sold by the DIY stores are much wider than 300mm and will be a trip hazard.

You could fix some pairs of your small baseboards together permanently, screwed and glued, so that they are rigid and then there would be fewer joins needing support.

• RMweb Gold

I agree about the width of the trestles. I've made a shelf that also sits on the trestles at the back of the layout. Very useful and helps stability as I can cable tie it to the trestles 

Chris H

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Harlequin said:

You mentioned in another post that you've bought 2 x BB001 and 3 x BB002.

BB001's are 400*290mm in plan and BB002's are 405*290mm. Total length = 2015mm.

It's probably not a good idea to rely on the bolts at the joins keeping them rigid if they are unsupported. So if you use them as is, you either need legs at the ends and under every join (crazy) or you need something rigid under the entire length and then something to hold that up - i.e. the trestles and beams solution mentioned above. The problem with that is that the trestles sold by the DIY stores are much wider than 300mm and will be a trip hazard.

You could fix some pairs of your small baseboards together permanently, screwed and glued, so that they are rigid and then there would be fewer joins needing support.

Yes thats correct, got a couple more of the BB002 on order.

Good shout about glueing some of the boards together. I'll probably do that with most of the boards but leave one as just thye bolts so the layout can be split in 2 if needed.

My current layouts about 100cm high so wanted something of similar hieght. My lads got some cube storage units in his room which i like the look of. Just the right width so could get a couple of those with a plank over them, with the layout on top. Gives me some storage then as well.

Or i can get some legs cut and glue them in the corners and edges of the board.

A full length horizontal support or two would be good especially if its not a portable layout. 

The longest possible timbers overlapped and bolted together Ideally something well seasoned and not about to warp.  I used some 75mmX 75mm.  It warped.  A layout1ft wide and 3ft high doesn't sound at all stable unless it's against a wall..   Personally I would have used a cut down internal door for a layout 2 M long  and if length is kept to around 2 M then one might be a good support for the  SMS baseboards,  That is one single door,  joining two together is a pain.