Small red square on the side of diesel locos

Mike Buckner

48 minutes ago, Mike Buckner said:

A beginner question, if I may...

On some locos in banger blue, there is a small red square somewhere on the side, sometimes a red outline filled with white. What is this for?

I believe this indicates the type of multiple unit connections the locomotive has and with what other other locomotives it can run in multiple with.

Cheers Nicholas

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Buckner said:

A beginner question, if I may...

On some locos in banger blue, there is a small red square somewhere on the side, sometimes a red outline filled with white. What is this for?

It'll be present whatever the livery, just on blue it stands out particularly. There's usually a label next to it with operating instructions.

Pictures linked from Flickr, click to take you to the albums of detail pics they're from.

47:

47004 (16)

Refurb 37.

37612 01

Some classes of loco, such as unrefurbished 37s have same thing but is circular. 

Jo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nick_Burman said:

I believe this indicates the type of multiple unit connections the locomotive has and with what other other locomotives it can run in multiple with.

Cheers Nicholas

Not these things the OP referred to. You are correct in that many diesels and first generation DMUs displayed multiple working codes, such as a blue star, red circle, blue square (DMU), etc., but these were always over the buffers or slightly to one side at the front of the loco or unit, not along the sides. They were also a lot smaller than the fire control thingy. That's also not to be confused with the coloured dots used on the cab sides of Western Region diesels to indicate route availability.

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, SRman said:

Not these things the OP referred to. You are correct in that many diesels and first generation DMUs displayed multiple working codes, such as a blue star, red circle, blue square (DMU), etc., but these were always over the buffers or slightly to one side at the front of the loco or unit, not along the sides. They were also a lot smaller than the fire control thingy. That's also not to be confused with the coloured dots used on the cab sides of Western Region diesels to indicate route availability.

Beat me to it!! 👍😉

• Friendly/supportive 1