Carlyon Dock - Cornish clay through the years

mevaman1

I have (at long last) finished my 12ft x 2ft 6in exhibition layout - Carlyon Dock.  This layout was largely built by the Bill Douglas (as Deviock Dock) and I have added a station and various details.  I plan to run this in various ‘modern’ eras from the early 1980s to the present day.

The layout is loosely based on the entrance to Par Docks in sunny Cornwall.  I live near to the location.  The docks still load clay into wagons every week and I have photographed the train movements on many occasions.

I am off to my first exhibition at Pool School ( between Redruth and Camborne) on 15/16 April.

I just have stock to weather and wiring to tidy in order to be ready.

436BAE96-907A-4456-8A61-5A1053D54616.jpeg

0874FA54-A02E-46E8-8741-34FCFB5291FD.jpeg

36FCBF6F-D7D1-4BA8-B1FE-1480B63AF51D.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

Today I shall mainly be weathering CDAs.  I have applied a light spray coat of Precision track dirt mixed with frame dirt.  I then am using Tamiya weathering master set B white applied with disposable eyeshade applicators.  It’s time-consuming but worth it in the end.

EAA2A754-48FB-46E1-AF6E-1A676340BA87.jpeg

• Like 8

I’m taking  Carlyon Dock to the Helston Model Club Springtime Show at Pool School this weekend.  I am both super excited and super nervous.  My good friend David Sibson is going to help me operate along with Daniel Harris, Darren Glasson, Nigel Glasson, Mick House and other fellow members of Redruth Model Railway Club.  If you are in Cornwall, please come to the Show and say ‘hello’.

B6AE6157-58AB-4DD2-B013-D908E78A08C4.jpeg

DD1F7256-34F6-4BF9-A78E-E847115C690D.jpeg

• Like 9

Very nice indeed!

I particularly like the area around the mainline viaduct and the little touch of the the station sign saying "Alight here for the Carlyon Bay Hotel"

There used to be a similarly worded advert type sign on Par station  quite a few years ago now.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Nice layout - I love anything China Clay related!

I'm struggling to get my head around the trackplan - is the station on the high level and the clay sidings beneath?

Matt

Totally agree.  It's a lovely layout and finished to a very high standard, but I can't work out where the track on the viaduct, which looks to me like the line to the station, goes to the other way. Could we please have a photo of the layout from the other end showing this?

I'm based in Cheshire so I can't just pop to Cornwall for a look myself.  I wish I could.

Best wishes

Cam

On 11/04/2023 at 19:06, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Nice layout - I love anything China Clay related!

I'm struggling to get my head around the trackplan - is the station on the high level and the clay sidings beneath?

Matt

Hi Matt

Thanks for your kind words.

Take a look at the photo that I have attached in my reply to Cam to understand the track plan.

Regards,

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Great layout with an interesting track arrangement. I really like the road/rail bridge. I too was scratching my head a bit about access to the station before Wednesdays photo!

Thanks for sharing and hope the show went well.

Regards

James

Edited by jamest
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, jamest said:

Hi,

Great layout with an interesting track arrangement. I really like the road/rail bridge. I too was scratching my head a bit about access to the station before Wednesdays photo!

Thanks for sharing and hope the show went well.

Regards

James

Hi James

Many thanks for your comments.  Yes, the show went really well.  I have a couple of dry joints and coupling issues but enough of my personal problems.😀😉

• Like 4

Hi

Really good to catch up with you today & enjoyed our chats & watching the layout perform ........

You have really done a great job with the layout adding improvements to the yard (the flood lights on the Linhay & the point levers to name but two ) & the station is a great addition both visually & adding to the operational interest.

I'm really glad you're enjoying having it as I enjoyed building & exhibiting it & would have hated to have broken it up as I have had to with other layouts.

I look forward to seeing it in operation again....

Cheers Bill Douglas

• Like 3

3 hours ago, treggyman said:

Hi

Really good to catch up with you today & enjoyed our chats & watching the layout perform ........

You have really done a great job with the layout adding improvements to the yard (the flood lights on the Linhay & the point levers to name but two ) & the station is a great addition both visually & adding to the operational interest.

I'm really glad you're enjoying having it as I enjoyed building & exhibiting it & would have hated to have broken it up as I have had to with other layouts.

I look forward to seeing it in operation again....

Cheers Bill Douglas

Hi Bill

Thankyou for your kind words.  I really enjoyed the show and catching up with you.

I’ve got some minor snags to sort out but the layout ran really well over the weekend. It also gave me the opportunity to run my China Clay stock.

Regards,

Andrew

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Silly question - would you ever consider going 'back in time' and running some steamies with the clay wagons as part of the theme of the layout?

With Bachmann's 'Bill' & 'Ben' ("with moving eyes") 😜!

Only kidding......

As someone with an enduring interest in china clay trains (I can recall them being hauled by Class 22s and Warships) and now living 10 minutes' walk from the docks entrance I have to like this layout - it does look kind of familiar!!

• Like 1