Scalefour Crewe

davidbr

• 3 weeks later...

I have been continuing to get my collection of pre-Grouping road vehicles ready for the show in Crewe in June where I have been invited to demonstrate. In the meantime, I was invited to take some to Taunton recently for the SWAG RMWeb day. The photo shows less than half the collection.

My thanks to John Farmer (Re6/6) for the photo. I hope to see some of you at Crewe.

SWAGDBsmotors.jpg.b2d341a4fed5aa1dcbf1697f33d6aef3.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Another example of exhibition venues' poor organisation and communication.

Railex Aylesbury was cancelled in 2022 as the venue had double booked the hall. This year, at short notice, they announced the floor was being replaced but the smaller adjacent facility was available. So the show organisers had to re-plan the show, losing two layouts and one  trader who they couldn't than accommodate.

The news about the Scalefour Crewe parking was similarly short notice.

Catering is also a regular issue at some venues, despite experience of what has been required previously or the guidance that the show organisers provide. It seems that  some venue operators aren't very competent and interested in providing a good service.

51 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Another example of exhibition venues' poor organisation and communication.

Following the lockdowns, sometimes I wonder if some venues find a larger model railway exhibition too much hassle?

Organising a model railway exhibition I'd imagine is an almost full time job and a thankless task. I know I wouldn't do it for the world.

Regarding the funfair  and knowing some folk that run them, they seem to be organised on a same place, same time of year basis but (and taking into account things have changed considerably over the last few years) was there not some responsibility on the Scalefour Crewe organisers to endeavour to find out if there is other events that could impact the show. Especially one that appears to be taking place right outside the entrance door of the venue.

Looking at the flyer for the funfair it seems the Football club and their agents have had plenty of prior notice and they also should have been making any prospective venue hirers aware. It would seem there has been info available on't interwebby about the fair for sometime.

GrestyRoadFunfair.jpg.2410b3fd198cbc4858632ac3bee9c940.jpg

Hey ho. Hopefully, like the rail strike and for those travelling from the North  (further north) having to compete for road space on the M6 with two sets of Mancunian football supporters, it will not have too much impact on show attendance. 

Maybe the Scalefour organisers could go out and leaflet some of Joe Whites clientele with a view to increasing attendance & attracting new members.   😲

Edited by Porcy Mane

7 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Following the lockdowns, sometimes I wonder if some venues find a larger model railway exhibition too much hassle?

Organising a model railway exhibition I'd imagine is an almost full time job and a thankless task. I know I wouldn't do it for the world.

Regarding the funfair  and knowing some folk that run them, they seem to be organised on a same place, same time of year basis but (and taking into account things have changed considerably over the last few years) was there not some responsibility on the Scalefour Crewe organisers to endeavour to find out if there is other events that could impact the show. Especially one that appears to be taking place right outside the entrance door of the venue.

Looking at the flyer for the funfair it seems the Football club and their agents have had plenty of prior notice and they also should have been making any prospective venue hirers aware. It would seem there has been info available on't interwebby about the fair for sometime.

GrestyRoadFunfair.jpg.2410b3fd198cbc4858632ac3bee9c940.jpg

Hey ho. Hopefully, like the rail strike and for those travelling from the North  (further north) having to compete for road space on the M6 with two sets of Mancunian football supporters, it will not have too much impact on show attendance. 

Any show organiser should undertake  due diligence, but it isn't always possible to do so. For example, looking at the Crewe Alexander website, there are details of the function rooms, etc. for hire, but nowhere a list of current or past events to guide/warn prospective hirers.

Unlike some European countries where many towns have conference venues, in the UK we are reliant on using schools, colleges and leisure centres, where the facilities were not designed for exhibition needs. If the venues want the revenue, then they should manage their business to adequately meet the exhibition/show organisers needs and to to provide proper, legal and safe amenities.

57 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Unlike some European countries where many towns have conference venues, in the UK we are reliant on using schools, colleges and leisure centres,

One of my pet complaints in the UK, many quite modest towns in the rest of Europe have dedicated, quality,  exhibition venues, my large home town of Medway has none, I'll get off the soap box now.

Edited by fulton
Correction
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, fulton said:

One of my pet complaints in the UK, many quite modest towns in the rest of Europe have dedicated, quality,  exhibition venues, my large home town of Medway has none, I'll get off the soap box now.

I think the UK is smaller than many European countries, so the competition between modest towns to have conference facilities isn't there.

That said any recently built i.e. in the past 20-30 years sporting facility should have an exhibition/sports hall/conference space built in for income generation away from it's main sporting purpose.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Dunno if it’s any help but the fairground was only taking up about 1/4 of the carpark right at the back when I passed by on Friday, it’s a big car park so I’m surprised it’s completely closed

This is the car park in question where my lad had a young driver lesson a couple of weeks back, when we went to that we parked in the Alex carpark which is behind the pallisade fencing at the back of that car park, probably about 50-70 spaces in there i recon if not more 

Knowing our town council they probably didn’t tell the Alex about the fun fair as that car park is nothing to do with the football club, there are a couple of council car parks within a short walking distance of the club, some down side streets are free all day but others are about £2.40 a day, don’t fall into the trap if going to the station carpark though, there is a council one right next to the entrance to it off pedley st and it’s 1/4 of the price (although I think the station carpark is cheaper at the weekends) 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good news on car parking. The majority of the Gresty Rd Long Stay pay and display car park WILL be available for visitors to use. Disabled spaces are those closest to the main stand with plenty of space beyond. Nobody will have far to walk.
We look forward to welcoming you on Saturday and Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Further on Travel

While the train strike on Saturday means most service are cancelled, train services to  Crewe provide by Transport for Wales are operating on Saturday.  In theory  train services will be operating normally on Sunday.

For those arriving by car, while Crewe can be accessed by two junctions off the M6,  its worth noting that it is easier to get to the stadium whether travelling north or south is by leaving at junction 16 signed posted A500 to Crewe.  Take the A500 towards Crewe.  Ignore the main turn to Crewe  Congleton and the station on the 2nd roundabout, and  take the 3rd roundabout signposted  B5071 Crewe Commercial Park and follow the B5071.  This becomes Gresty Road.   After the low bridge under the railway the stadium and the car park is on the right before you get into the town.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 73A said:

Good news on car parking. The majority of the Gresty Rd Long Stay pay and display car park WILL be available for visitors to use. Disabled spaces are those closest to the main stand with plenty of space beyond. Nobody will have far to walk.
We look forward to welcoming you on Saturday and Sunday.

that’s good, I was going to pop down later and grab a pic of the fairground in relation to carpark space but I needn’t bother now

1 hour ago, Will L said:

Take the A500 towards Crewe.  Ignore the main turn to Crewe  Congleton and the station on the 2nd roundabout, and  take the 3rd roundabout signposted  B5071 Crewe Commercial Park and follow the B5071.  This becomes Gresty Road.   After the low bridge under the railway the stadium and the car park is on the right before you get into the town.

slightly railway related, the first link road (crewe/congleton turning) is called ‘David Whitby Way’ and the one you need to turn off at the commercial park is ‘Jack Mills Way’ 

Spent an interesting few hours at Crewe on Saturday, an excellent selection of layouts of a superb standard. It may seem an odd comment for a show that some might think of as being about the quality of the rolling stock but we were really impressed by the modelling of the 'non railway' elements. I think I could happily have set a chair at the bufferstop end of Faringdon and enjoyed the view down the length of it for hours. Some useful purchases were made, and it was good to be able to chat to the traders in slightly more relaxed circumstances than the frenzy of the larger shows. Many thanks to the organisers, looking forward to the next one.

Ken...