Western Region DMUs

Guest Austerity94

Class 118's were built for the West Country, and as has been noted, were non corridor origionally.

All of the fleet received gangways.

All were formed as 3 car units during the late 70's, 80's and set numbers were 460-473 in order, except for P480 W51312-W51327.

This was kept as a power twin for working the Gunnislake branch, which has sharply curved 1 in 40 gradients through wooded areas.

It was regular on the Plymouth - Gunnislake in 1981/82. (Seen working to Barnstaple in 1978)

I did see it (in blue and grey) with a 101 trailer once, possibly W59551. (c. 1985 I think)

I think I've seen a photo of a 118 with a different set number - possible they were renumbered when they received gangways.

In 1986 the 118 fleet was repalced by the new 142's, marketed as "Skippers" (the nautical connection). However, they did not like water on the rail, so sometimes two sets were used to Gunnislake to aid adhesion. Flange wear (and squeal) was a problem. By 1988 they were gone, replaced by 108s numbered in the P95x series. I photographed one of the 142's still in Chocolate & Cream at Durham in 1991/2.

1970's thoughts (I started recording numbers in 78)

101's - Bristol sets B801-804 worked Exeter area - to Paignton, also evening Ex-Ply trains (a way of getting to Laira?)

103's - I've seen pictures at Kingswear in 1971

116's - regional spare set P440 allocated LA 1981 - mix of 116 & 117

117's - P432-435 c. 1982 4 units on LA

119's - were used on Newquay services in 70's

120's - used in Cormwall during 70s as 2 or 3 car sets (sets 552-559. I don't remember 551)

121's - interesting to see 55025/6 working from Swansea in 1971 - does anyone know when they came down to Laira?

122's - alllocated away from South West (when? I think a 122 was involved in the last Okehampton trains in 1972)

• RMweb Premium

The "Southern Region" also operated numerous WR units. Not only did they work the Reading - Redhill - Tonbridge / Gatwick trains for a number of years after the 3R Tadpole units had gone (and the occasional turn during the "Tadpole era") but they also featured on the Exeter - Ilfracombe and Okehampton services with duties in 1966 / 7 as far afield as Wadebridge, Padstow and Bude. The final North Cornwall trains were ridiculously overcrowded dmus.

Classes to appear on those routes were 119 and 120 with 121 bubblecars on the North Cornwall lines. Class 116 /7/8 "suburbans" made occasional trips to Tonbridge and Ilfracombe also, and to Barnstaple in later years when the lines beyond had closed.

Yes D1072,

103's on the WR...that made me stop and think.

What was the story with the Park Royal 103's ? - there's a picture of set P200 on pg 25 of the BR first Gen DMUs in colour (with the P200 set number beneath the drivers window, which I must admit I always took to be Plymouth), - and it must be pre 73 as the line passed to the P and D R in '73 I think.

I got a sense of deja vue when I saw that picture, once as I sat on the wall between the sea wall and the line at Dawlish near the Langstone Rock a very strange (to my Aylesbury eyes used to 115s) rasped round on the down line - it wasn't a 120 so maybe it was a 103.

Does anyone know how long they lasted in the west, and what was the earliest transfer ? The Railcar website suggests that some were trasnferred to Reading and Cardiff, but that P200 set number suggests a longer transfer maybe. Or was P somewhere else......?

Didn't realise it at the time, but love the variety in those 1st Gen DMUs.

Regards

Matt

Yes D1072,

What was the story with the Park Royal 103's ? - there's a picture of set P200 on pg 25 of the BR first Gen DMUs in colour (with the P200 set number beneath the drivers window, which I must admit I always took to be Plymouth), - and it must be pre 73 as the line passed to the P and D R in '73 I think.

I got a sense of deja vue when I saw that picture, once as I sat on the wall between the sea wall and the line at Dawlish near the Langstone Rock a very strange (to my Aylesbury eyes used to 115s) rasped round on the down line - it wasn't a 120 so maybe it was a 103.

Does anyone know how long they lasted in the west, and what was the earliest transfer ? The Railcar website suggests that some were trasnferred to Reading and Cardiff, but that P200 set number suggests a longer transfer maybe. Or was P somewhere else......?

Regards

Matt

Were the Park Royals transferred to cover Swindon sets being sent off for asbestos stripping? I'm certain I remember seeing one at Llanelli during the period in question.

I wouldnt attempt to be comprehensive re- the WR Park Royals, but my impression was that they got passed around a bit during their short stay. Kingswear certainly saw them but I also recall a pic in a contemporary Railway Magazine of a freshly painted one at Reading depot

Perhaps I should clarify things by saying that at one stage they were at Plymouth Laira, but they certainly got around a lot.

The P prefix would indicate a Plymouth allocation, but I will need to search my records to find out if they carried different allocation codes at other times.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Premium

P indicated "Plymouth Division" rather than Plymouth Laira I believe (in the same way as L was London Division not just Southall) so giving P-numbered sets a "normal" range of operations from Axminster to Penzance. They would also have been seen quite frequently outside this area just as B-series sets would have wandered west at times.

P480 was a Gunnislake set but appeared frequently in other parts of Cornwall. It spent quite a while as the regular St. Ives unit as well.

• RMweb Gold

I wouldnt attempt to be comprehensive re- the WR Park Royals, but my impression was that they got passed around a bit during their short stay. Kingswear certainly saw them but I also recall a pic in a contemporary Railway Magazine of a freshly painted one at Reading depot

I've no doubt that you did - there were, I think two Park Royals sets on the London Division at one time and I've an idea they ended up there as they'd been found to be fairly useless anywhere else (and they're weren't exactly flavour of the month on the London Division either - generally regarded as gutless and unreliable).

I have definite memories of a Park Royal 103 on peak-hour trains at Slough, but only the odd appearance, so it fits them not lasting long.

Couple of other oddities - 116 parcels cars (116 motor coaches with the seating stripped out) working with 128s, and the use of 121 driving trailers to strengthen peak-hour 117 sets, at the cost to the power-to-weight ratio.

I have a vague memory of an 8-car 123 Inter-City set in a mix of green and blue/grey, with one single intermediate trailer in all-over blue. Since I can only have been 10 or 11 at the time, my memory might not be 100% reliable - certainly railcar.co.uk makes no mention of any 123 cars in blue/grey. Formation was 4-car + loose trailer + 3 car.

• RMweb Gold

I have definite memories of a Park Royal 103 on peak-hour trains at Slough, but only the odd appearance, so it fits them not lasting long.

Couple of other oddities - 116 parcels cars (116 motor coaches with the seating stripped out) working with 128s, and the use of 121 driving trailers to strengthen peak-hour 117 sets, at the cost to the power-to-weight ratio.

I have a vague memory of an 8-car 123 Inter-City set in a mix of green and blue/grey, with one single intermediate trailer in all-over blue. Since I can only have been 10 or 11 at the time, my memory might not be 100% reliable - certainly railcar.co.uk makes no mention of any 123 cars in blue/grey. Formation was 4-car + loose trailer + 3 car.

The 123s definitely ran in blue/grey on the London Division (I used to go to & from work in one) but I can't recall any in all over blue (not that it means anything except that I can't recall seeing it :blink: ).

The Class 116 cars running with a DPU (Class 128) ran in, I think, a couple of diagrams and on some working conveyed one or two GUVs as tail traffic. I've an idea that at first the seats weren't removed from the Class 116 cars (possibly to retain a bit of flexibility of use for them?) but as they soon got pretty grubby that probably knocked that idea on the head.

In 1971 there was at least one regular working of a Class 117 as a 'mail train' but I doubt the traffic normally did much more than fill the van area in the DMBS although there were some quite heavy loadings to Southall at that time.

• RMweb Premium
I have a vague memory of an 8-car 123 Inter-City set in a mix of green and blue/grey' date=' with one single intermediate trailer in all-over blue. Since I can only have been 10 or 11 at the time, my memory might not be 100% reliable - certainly railcar.co.uk makes no mention of any 123 cars in blue/grey*. Formation was 4-car + loose trailer + 3 car.
I can't recall any in all over blue

* Sic; quoted as typed. I assume " plain blue" is meant.

Railcar also notes, apparently from the same person as the post quoted: "Tim Hall reports "I have a clear memory of one vehicle, a TS, painted in blue, in an 8-car formation of otherwise mixed green and blue/grey stock, in about 1970. I only remember seeing this vehicle once, so I assume it got repainted in blue/grey soon after."

I my self do not recall any class 123 being all-blue. They went straight from green to blue-grey but with the uncommon variation of being all-blue around the cab doors; the grey did not start at the leading ends of the driving coaches. I do recall, as I mentioned in an earlier post, that these units were at times formed with what ever Reading had to hand in order to provide sufficient capacity usually after the buffet cars had been withdrawn on peak workings to minimise overcrowding aboard an otherwise reduced formation. While I also don't recall any all-blue vehicles being coupled within a 123 unit they were most certainly attached to them. This makes possible a sighting of 4-car 123+ spare trailer 101+ 3 car 123 as suggested.

My own sightings were of 123+117 sometimes with a 122 bubblecar or driving trailer added also. The suburban stock would have been plain blue at the time.

I recall the Park Royal Cl.103 units working in South Wales, but not their actual duties.

One summer evening I was leaving the home of my (then) current sweetheart when one set rumbled past on the SWML toward Cardiff (between St.fagans and Ely).

I found it difficult to keep my cool, and retain any form of street cred !

Last I heard Janet had moved to the Worcester area !

Brian R

The two London area Cl.116 power cars that were used for parcels/mail services were 50819 and 50872.

IIRC they were plain blue and branded "Rail Express Parcels" mid way along the vehicle (I stand to be corrected here).

They were generally used singly, each with one of the Cl.128 DPU's and regularly had at least one, may be two vans in tow. I have a photo somewhere of such a combo at Reading circa 1974/75.

Another parcels conversion was the "Railair Parcels" unit which was formed of two Cl.116 power cars and two through wired GUV vans, formed thus:- 51137+86174+86572+51150.

I recall seeing the unit working off Bristol, St. Phillip's Marsh/Marsh Jct. but it had also worked from the London area.

The Cl.123 'Inter City' units did work in mixed green/blue-grey liveries for a time. I believe there's photo evidence of such a blend.

ALSO

I recall seeing some, if not all five of, the Cl.123 buffet trailers 59828 - 59832 stabled after withdrawl alongside Barry Dock station. I do not know their ultimate fate, ie were they cut by Woodhams nearby, or did they go elsewhere ?

I have yet to see reported here the original set numbers for the Cl.119 units, which at the turn of the 70s worked mainly in the 'B' Bristol and 'P' Plymouth districts.

These units were eventually allocated set numbers in the 571-585 (or 586 ?) series with a 'B' or 'P' prefix as appropriate.

However I recorded 51054+59413+51082 as set "BL522" on Marsh Jct. 22/02/71; this set was renumbered B572 by 13/11/71

AND

I recorded 51056+59415+51084 as B524 on 13/03/71, yet was renumbered B574 by 23/10/71.

Similarly, on 24/04/71 51072+59431+51085 were running as "P593" which appears out of sequence..

Moving on, my spotting notes for the early 1970s show the following "C" Cardiff area 2-car Cl.120 units, ostensibly reduced for use on the central Wales line (now re-marketed as the Heart of Wales !).

C600 50664 + 50702 recorded 31/05/1971

C601 50672 + 50722 recorded 21/06/1971

C602 50649 + 50698 recorded 04/07/1971

C603 50673 + 50724 recorded 31/05/1971

C604 50681 + 50701 recorded 01/05/1971

C605 50686 + 50733 recorded ?

As I remarked previously, I found all this interesting - I wonder what other less enlightened members of society would make of it ?

Brian R

Mid 70s? As ever, I'd like to see more evidence of that. When DMU liveries have been discussed on the forum previously, I believe that a ScR GRCW class 100 has been suggested as being the last green DMU car in normal service, lasting until 1973 IIRC. If anything, my impression is that the WR was rather quicker than the other Regions in repainting its DMUs.

According to the Railway Observer for January 1969 there were only two green sets left at Canton at the end of 1968. I expect the 1968 volume shed more light on the isue but that is still on my insomnia pile [a precarious heap of reading matter beside the bed!]

Chris

Some more on the 103s, courtesy of the insomnia pile:

To replace W55025 [CTN101] and W55026 [CTN102] on the Cymmer – Bridgend service M50413+56168 and M50414+56169 were transferred to Canton from Chester in May 1970. The two power cars were formed into set CTN100 and the trailers stored. The two displaced 121 cars were then used as additional power cars on the Cardiff – Crewe service. The 103 power cars were clearly an outstanding success [not] for on 7th June they were reunited with their trailers and sent to Reading, replaced at Canton by W55022 [CTN10] and W55023 [CTN103]. They were put to work on the Henley branch. By November 1970 four 103 sets were based at Reading [50411-4 and 56166-9, sets RDG111-4] working on diagrams taking them to Marlow, Windsor, Greenford and, as a special treat on Sundays, Paddington. On 7th January 1971 50413+56168 failed on the Henley branch and were replaced by taxis until a 3-car 123 set could be found. On 27th August 1971 50414+56169 were on a Reading – Paddington diagram, which was described as most unusual. Perhaps that member didn’t get out much.

Chris

• RMweb Premium
On 27th August 1971 50414+56169 were on a Reading – Paddington diagram, which was described as most unusual. Perhaps that member didn’t get out much.

"Unusual" workings reported by those not "in the know" would be innocent mistakes but have probably been quite common.

Around 1967 I encountered a Reading - Paddington Sunday stopper (must have been Sunday as the weekday crawlers only ran to and from Slough) formed of a 123. That would be the only time I have ever boarded or alighted from an "Inter City" train at West Drayton! Having come up to Reading from the SR on a 3H and then sat in a compartment (!!) on what was a local train it seemed the height of luxury. But whether that 123 was rostered or rare I know not; though the normal fare was 117's.

I remember we had a discussion on the old forum about this one-off 123 trailer in blue, based on a black and white photograph - it's the 7th photo on this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10590&hilit=+swindon ,with the discussion further below (dated 4 - 6 December 2007):

David

The two London area Cl.116 power cars that were used for parcels/mail services were 50819 and 50872.

IIRC they were plain blue and branded "Rail Express Parcels" mid way along the vehicle (I stand to be corrected here).

They were generally used singly, each with one of the Cl.128 DPU's and regularly had at least one, may be two vans in tow. I have a photo somewhere of such a combo at Reading circa 1974/75.

Another parcels conversion was the "Railair Parcels" unit which was formed of two Cl.116 power cars and two through wired GUV vans, formed thus:- 51137+86174+86572+51150.

My recollection of this c1973 is that two three-car sets had been formed, each having one of the ex-Railair GUVs sandwiched between one of the 116 cars and one of the 128s. I did post some pics of them a while ago in response to a query, but can I hell as find them on a searchdry.gif

"Unusual" workings reported by those not "in the know" would be innocent mistakes but have probably been quite common.

Granted, but if he had read his RO a few months before he would have known about this one!

Chris

• RMweb Gold

My recollection of this c1973 is that two three-car sets had been formed, each having one of the ex-Railair GUVs sandwiched between one of the 116 cars and one of the 128s. I did post some pics of them a while ago in response to a query, but can I hell as find them on a searchdry.gif

Alas I can't do anything about confirming the date of that conversion Pennine. I can remember it happening and I've got evidence that the units were not working in that state in 1971 (in the summer of which year they were still booked to attach and detach GUVs at Paddington).

I did post some pics of them a while ago in response to a query, but can I hell as find them on a searchdry.gif

Are these the ones that you're referring to Ian?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50613&p=777179&hilit=pennine+wr+parcels+128+116#p777179

Great photos - they bring back very happy memories of WR unit-spotting (definitely a minority sport in those days, so I'm loving the contributions on this thread from others who clearly shared the same interest, from both amateur and professional perspectives).

David

• 5 weeks later...

Yes D1072,

Does anyone know how long they lasted in the west, and what was the earliest transfer ? The Railcar website suggests that some were transferred to Reading and Cardiff, but that P200 set number suggests a longer transfer maybe. Or was P somewhere else......?

Regards

Matt

Class 103's 4 2 car units were transferred from the LMR to the London Division of the WR circa 1971 all were overhauled before entering service with the WR if I recall correctly. These units only last 2/3 years at the most in London Division of the WR and worked the Windsor, Borne End/Marlow and Henley branches - possibly the Greenford branch as well however I never seen any evidence of this Unlike the Class 121's that operated on the Thames Valley branches the Class 103's were not used on the main line regularly (if at all). Following the there stint in the London Division the were transferred to the West Country and certainly worked around the Torbay area.

P200 was an oddball unit formed of 2 Class 103 MBS's and was a power twin. I also remember seeing a Class 103 DTC painted in yellow and used as a viaduct inspection vehicle stabels at Lomg Rock Depot circa 1974/5.

Of interest the Class 103 at the Helston Railway http://www.helstonrailway.co.uk/ is one of these units and is the unit that worked the last Belmont (Circle) - Harrow & Wealdstone train in 1963 when it was allocated to Watford. I was very young then but can recall seeing a Class 103 at Harrow on a number of occasions as well as seeing one on the down relief at Carpenders Park as I waited to board a Class 501 (sorry I just had to get that inbiggrin.gif )

DSCN0212.jpg

Class 103 at Trevarno Gardens station June 2010

Xerces Fobe