Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Model Railway Happiness

• RMweb Premium

Sort of answering the OP's question, no I don't think there's a connection between level of model fidelity and amount of happiness derived from owning/using said models. Making the most super duper rivet level accurate train set isn't the only way of enjoying the hobby, different strokes and all that. I struggle to think of any other hobby with such a broad range of different goals and aspirations between participants.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2

I think as a hobby, we would all have been happier if we had stuck with clockwork ! Seriously, reading through old magazines from the 1950s to the early-1970s, the modellers still using precision controlled clockwork tend to  come across as very contented and enjoying running model trains in a very prototypical manner rather than worrying about every last detail.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the secret to enjoying model railways as a hobby is the same as for any other hobby, do it for your own reasons and enjoy what you like.

Especially in today's world of social media it's too tempting to get sucked into a sort of group think, wanting to be part of a tribe, following what others define as being the hobby etc. Whatever gives you satisfaction and enjoyment is what you should do. If you enjoy just putting set track on the floor and playing trains without worrying about realism or whether the models are state of the art, then why would it matter if anyone else disagrees?

We all find something slightly different in any hobby, and we all have slightly (or fundamentally) different interests. I think my interests are rather niche on RMWeb (railways of China & Japan, though my interest in North American and GWR/SR are much more mainstream for this board), what does it matter if few other RMWeb members are interested in Asian railways? Similarly, although I make plastic kits of aircraft and vehicles, and used to do model engineering when I had access to a full workshop I have no real interest in rolling stock kits and stick to RTR. That's my preference, if others differ and hate RTR then why would that be a problem?

I've always thought a lot of the friction in enthusiast communities (whatever the interest might be) stems from some thinking their vision of a hobby or interest represents what that hobby or interest should be for all and who can behave rather shabbily towards others. I'm a classical music fan (I don't really like that moniker, but it's what most people use so I use it for ease of communication) and despair at many reviewers and critics who are so self obsessed and seem genuinely unable to comprehend that just because they don't like a piece of music or a performance/recording doesn't mean everyone else should share their opinions. I have listened to lots of performances which I wouldn't rate as anything special but if others loved them then great, listen and enjoy.

Which brings us to the tendency of serious hobbyists to exaggerate differences and overstate things. I still hear comments when I go to model shops, the occasional exhibition or in clubs (not that I do any of those things much these days) to the effect of 'it looks nothing like a (insert locomotive class of choice)' when it very clearly does look like whatever it is meant to represent. If we remove the more basic Railroad models which remain in the range to provide a cheap-ish entry point for the residual transet market then I'll go out on a limb and say it's now hard to find a model which isn't a good replica of the prototype.. Probably the worst locomotive I can remember is the KR Fell, but even that one isn't going to be mistaken for anything else and clearly many customers find it a perfectly acceptable representation of the Fell. And there's nothing wrong with that,

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

As you point out we are all entitled to enjoy a hobby in whatever way we wish (provided it is legal). 

What social media and forums like this have done, is to give everyone an easy opportunity to be a critic. In some cases, long held beliefs across the modelling community have come to the fore.  Some like to belong to a tribe and often don't understand/like what those not in their gang do and enjoy.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Something I don't think has been mentioned on that unfortunately it isn't the case that everyone with different modelling aspirations can co-exist unaffected.

I model in 7mm and enjoy building kits and especially painting and weathering. Whilst I like a lot of the recent r-t-r stuff, it has driven kit prices through the roof.

I'll admit when i see requests for opening doors and the like I do wonder if traditional modelling has largely fallen away (not a complaint, just an observation).

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

I seem to remember reading about Iain Rice pondering the improvements to RTR a good few years ago and wondering if this would give modellers more time to improve the detailing of track, buildings and scenery. I’m not sure if it has. 

I fear you're right, it's just led to more demands for better RTP track, buildings and scenery ! 

7 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I think the secret to enjoying model railways as a hobby is the same as for any other hobby, do it for your own reasons and enjoy what you like.

Exactly that. I do this because I enjoy it, not because I'm trying to impress anyone. There are enough idiots outside the hobby poking sticks at 'grown men playing trains' without wasting any time on the idiots inside the hobby poking them at each other.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

When I got back into this in 1996, I remember buying a Lima 37 and being rapidly disillusioned with its running. If it hadn’t been for the likes of Heljan and Bachmann making something better I doubt I would have persisted and gone off and done  some thing else. 

Things progress personally as well, the 24 year old version of me was much less demanding than the 50 year old version.

• Like 2

On 08/04/2023 at 13:46, Wheatley said:

I fear you're right, it's just led to more demands for better RTP track, buildings and scenery ! 

It occurs to me that a likely reason for all this is that modern life (working, family and personal) tends to leave a lot of people “asset rich” but “time poor”. 

When I retired only slightly early a few years back, I really did wonder how I was going to fill my days. Believe me, mostly they fill themselves, with all sorts of random and unforeseen stuff, of which an increase in medical appointments (own and spouse) and ‘caring’ tasks for even older family members are but a part. Sadly I have no grandchildren, but if I did then given the cost of daycare that would also take up hours per week. And leaving “‘er indoors” downstairs for hours on end playing Patience while I chop cardboard and stick plastic upstairs rather than buy RTR and RTP stuff does not make for a Happy Home either…

I do what most of us have to - I compromise, buy what I can and make what I must. 

Edited by Willie Whizz
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Absolutely! I go to work for a rest.... my modelling, trains or otherwise, has adapted to "Get SOMETHING done daily". The larger projects I spread over months but, I do like to do something that only takes hours, and the slow realisation that there is a whole world of amazing prototypes, all around the world, has reinvigorated me. That and the imaginary stuff.....broken, cheap, train set + cardboard + Colin Garrett book = nice warm feeling. Green modelling?

• Like 1