RMweb

Hornby clockwork double heading

sncf231e

11 hours ago, woodenhead said:

You were like a coiled spring with that reply😀

That's the key to it. :-)

This is where it started for me as the 2 locos are what my dad bought when I was 4 or something like that except we had the green tender loco and black tank. Not so much goods stock but the brake van looks familiar, think the doors opened?  We didn't have quite so much track either....

It all got replaced by Hornby dublo 3 rail.

Thanks for video, very nostalgic!!

Edited by railroadbill
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sncf231e said:

Yesterday BR, today an LMS double heading:

Regards

Fred

Glad it stopped, as the tender looked rather dangerous.

But I fear the service is winding down!

On 10/04/2023 at 11:21, sncf231e said:

My brake van does not have opening doors:

P1170274.JPG.cd62d79ebe8c3b5c20ce0bd0b852db23.JPGP1170277.JPG.fe864e3cd3da971ded4e77b63c70893e.JPG

Regards

Fred

It was the earlier versions that had opening doors. I remember the last series being rather a disappointment when they appeared (1954 IIRC). All the retooling must have cost a fortune for a scale that was already in serious decline. Some of the marketing decisions of Meccano Ltd. in the fiftieswere rather dubious, No new locomotive (reliveries don't count!) between 1954 and 1957 was serious. Their main competitor produced several during this period!

• RMweb Premium
On 10/04/2023 at 14:28, railroadbill said:

My memory fails me!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234944790150?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=CjwKCAjw0N6hBhAUEiwAXab-TXoZM-7-n0uLWDMSgWb8Jvb5EYk_T5K-Yi9PZr0

It was about 65 years ago but mine had opening doors too. Just like this one.

Regards, Rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TinTracks said:

Thanks Rich, that looks like it! You turned the handle to unlatch the door I think. There was a good play value with Hornby, (the water tower you could fill with water being one!)

Regards Bill

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Thanks Rich, that looks like it! You turned the handle to unlatch the door I think. There was a good play value with Hornby, (the water tower you could fill with water being one!)

Regards Bill

You're welcome Bill. 

That's exactly how I recall the doors working. I've a vague memory of my dad showing me how to wind up the little black tank loco and also how the reversing levers worked. I recall a couple of maroon 4 wheeler carriages, an open wagon, a tanker and the brake van. I mentioned this to my 93 year old mother. She tells me I used to fill up the open wagon with my toy soldiers and try to stuff them into the verandah of the brake, so yes great play value indeed😄. Unfortunately, when we moved from Selby up to Teesside back in 1960, my 0 gauge collection vanished! I suspect it was passed on to a cousin or neighbour. Luckily my Dublo stuff survived the move and still gives me great pleasure to this day.

Regards, Rich

That's a modern one!

The one I havve on the train storage shelf* coffee table in front of me proudly states 'G N' on chocolate brown. Apart from that, it's much the same apart from the couplings and axleguards. The doors close with a cunning bent piece of wire that combines handle and latch.

Somewhere, I've got a grey one labelled 'G W' in gold**. Otherwise just the same apart from having just one veranda as appropriate for a Western van.

*   SWMBO is not around!

** Fitting - but it should be white of course.

Both have lamp brackets, but not the lamps which are harder to obtain (as in rarer and more expensive!) than the vans! (They used to cost 3d or 4d in the fifties IIRC

Brighton toy museum has this to say:

https://www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/index/Brake_Van,_GNR_(Hornby_Series)

I don't know what LMS has to do with GNR in this case,

I think the pre-grouping liveries  disappeared almost overnight from the Hornby range - my 1924 locomotive states LMS. Conversely it took five years for the Dublo range to recognise nationalisation!

Edited by Il Grifone