Using SMS Diorama board instead of a box file?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folks, 

Trying to get things moving and actually achieve some modelling, so looks like a Scalescenes boxfile is the order of the day, small, self contained, planning all done, sounds like it might be achievable, something I can then build on. 

Now I'm not sure I actually fancy floppy box files chopped up with no height underneath or stuff... - So how about a ScaleModelScenery BB010 Diorama base - it's around an inch bigger all round than a box file, if I use a pair - one with a back scene (thick black lines below) and the other as the fiddle yard / cassette storage area it sounds too good to be true, although hardly the budget option. 

Diorama board link - https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/bb010-diorama-baseboard-large-double-ended-1744-p.asp

Scalescenes boxfile layout - https://scalescenes.com/product/ly02-canal-wharf-boxfile-layout/

Does this sound like a plan? Or have I missed an obvious pitfall? All I need to do is extend the water forwards a little and the back scene between the warehouse and the bridge and the job will be a fish - surely?? 

Thanks

Ralf

40251842_Screenshot2023-04-10at14_31_04.png.a8891a255c78f1d9da7e9d095a4556c3.png

• RMweb Gold

I’m a fan of laser cut ply boards. Do you actually need to separate the two scalescenes boards? I only ask as there may be more economical options if you bought the 800x290mm board as a single item?  There are plenty of other laser cut board providers, albeit you may struggle to find an off shelf option at 290mm. But 300mm may be available?

Ian

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, ITG said:

I’m a fan of laser cut ply boards. Do you actually need to separate the two scalescenes boards?

No Ian I don't, think I was simply looking for something too close to box file sized to make the bodging minimal. That's a good point about 300mm wide boards, certainly an avenue to look at.

Thanks
Ralf 

• RMweb Premium
On 10/04/2023 at 14:31, Ralf said:

Does this sound like a plan? Or have I missed an obvious pitfall?

Well, it sounds like a plan to me, and one I may well copy at some point in the future when the to-do list shortens.  Using a box-file is just a conceit, a way of producing something with a “well I never!” wow factor - like building a ship in a bottle. If the aim is to use the Scalescenes kits as a basis for a practical micro-layout for your own amusement then your proposed approach seems very sensible.

RichardT

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

If you used two BB001 base boards, you could site the middle scenic break where you wanted (60-40, or 70-30).

It would mean removing part of the FY backscene wall to gain entrance.

• Like 1

On 10/04/2023 at 14:31, Ralf said:

Hi Folks, 

Trying to get things moving and actually achieve some modelling, so looks like a Scalescenes boxfile is the order of the day, small, self contained, planning all done, sounds like it might be achievable, something I can then build on. 

Now I'm not sure I actually fancy floppy box files chopped up with no height underneath or stuff... - So how about a ScaleModelScenery BB010 Diorama base - it's around an inch bigger all round than a box file, if I use a pair - one with a back scene (thick black lines below) and the other as the fiddle yard / cassette storage area it sounds too good to be true, although hardly the budget option. 

Diorama board link - https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/bb010-diorama-baseboard-large-double-ended-1744-p.asp

Scalescenes boxfile layout - https://scalescenes.com/product/ly02-canal-wharf-boxfile-layout/

Does this sound like a plan? Or have I missed an obvious pitfall? All I need to do is extend the water forwards a little and the back scene between the warehouse and the bridge and the job will be a fish - surely?? 

Thanks

Ralf

40251842_Screenshot2023-04-10at14_31_04.png.a8891a255c78f1d9da7e9d095a4556c3.png

This sounds a great plan and I find when using box files that I have to reinforce them with a bit of MDF/hardboard etc. to create a suitable base for the layout, so it’s even possible that an SMS baseboard will have advantages over a box file in terms of cost and complexity as well (I’ve generally found SMS diorama/micro layout baseboards very easy to assemble). I’m not sure if those from other manufacturers are quite as straightforward to assemble (for instance I am currently doing a project where the SMS ones are slightly too small or oddly-dimensioned for what I need, so I’m looking at others).

• Thanks 1