Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Brian Morrison

MarshLane

• RMweb Premium

Very sad news, one of Britains's best ever railway photographers who leaves behind an extraordinary portfolio.  So much of his work was a real inspiration to me and still is 40 years later.

Somewhere I have a very nice letter which I think was from Brian, when as an impertinent youth who thought he was the next Colin Gifford, I asked him about joining the Phoenix Railway Photographic Circle.  My submitted material was nowhere near good enough of course, but he politely gave  me some excellent pointers.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The vast majority of us would have a book or two, usually a photo album, featuring his work.

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A great loss to railway photography and railway publishing. Brian was the manager of a ten-pin bowling alley when he took up railway photography. He obtained a line side pass for railway photography in the early days of BR . He told me once that he always renewed that original pass because it was much less restrictive than the passes issued later on. In the 1970s/80s he undertook commissions for Ian Allan Ltd and particularly for Modern Railways. I recall that one of those commissions was to cover the tragic accident at Clapham, Brian living closest to south London. Access, was of course, very restricted and Brian told me that he was asked for his pass on so many occasions that he eventually taped it to his forehead! Down-to-Earth, good-humoured and always helpful, I last met with him at his 80th birthday 'bash' thrown by his many friends in line side photography, at Quainton Road. RIP Brian, truly one of the greats! (CJL)

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Very sad news I met Brian a few times in the 90s photographing 20s and 37s on the dungeness branch.

A really nice bloke always had time for a chat 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I was sorry to hear of the passing of one of our most prolific railway photographers, Brian Morrison.

I first met Brian shortly after I joined the Southern Region's public affairs team. Brian was an ever present at many events, launches and trips we organised and it was a pleasure to accompany him and many other great names in magazine publishing on countless occasions. Only recently I was asked about the famous Network SouthEast launch photograph taken on 10th June 1986 from the balcony at Waterloo and was able to point the enquirer in Brian's direction.

He helped me considerably with pictures from our first meeting up until the time I left the railway industry in 2006.  Brian was equallty accommodating supplying pictures when I moved from the full size to the model railway industry. Likewise he was able to supply pictures for several books that have been involved with.

Despite his London accent Brian was born near Brechin in Scotland. On one of our Scottish Tours we visited the Caledonian Railway at Brechin and Bridge of Dun. We arranged for the CR to present him with a complimentary membership for being a local!

Like CJL, I was at his surprise 80th birthday event at Quainton Road, with many of his fellow photographers and authors. 

His pictures will live on and are now in the safe keeping of the Railway Herald to which Brian was a major contributor.

Below is a picture taken on one of the many Virgin Trains press trips in the early 2000's. 

Rest in peace Brian. You will be missed bur never forgotten.

DAL

Picture below: Virgin Trains 

10b.png

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Another sad loss to our hobby and we are all I am sure grateful for his rich legacy of already published photographs recording the railway scene as he saw it during his lifetime. 

I for one have a number of his albums in my own collection and I sincerely hope his collection of negatives does not follow the same route as far too many do in these circumstances into private collections, railway societies or into the NRM where they will gather dust and be otherwise lost to those of us who would enjoy seeing them published. As far too many societies and groups may have the best intentions, but they never have the funds, personnel or general wherewithall to get them published. As a result, too many collections become lost forever unfortunately. Having spoken to many now sadly deceased photographers through the last forty years personally who expressed their great hope and intentions for their life's work, often never came to see it in their lifetime and possibly to realise that after their passing nobody else would either. A sad inditement, fortunately we do have some of Brian's already published work to still marvel over and to enjoy, I sincerely hope that more may yet be published. Sadly, before too much longer the viability of publishing such a wealth of material within traditional book format may well be passed too.

RIP Brian

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes this is a sad loss . One of the few railway photographers whose name I instantly recognise . But his work will continue as part of my library  and I’m sure a great many others .  

So sorry to hear of his passing . Thoughts with people that were close to him . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Strathwood said:

I for one have a number of his albums in my own collection and I sincerely hope his collection of negatives does not follow the same route as far too many do in these circumstances into private collections, railway societies or into the NRM where they will gather dust and be otherwise lost to those of us who would enjoy seeing them published.

Brian's collection was passed to Railway Herald magazine a couple of years ago I gather, and having asked the question was told it remains accessible to authors, publishers, magazines who wish to make use of it.  I gather they have plans too.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Part of the secret of Brian's success was that he was passionate about RAILWAYs, not just steam locomotives. In the 1980s we published a huge amount of his work in Ian Allan books and magazines and seldom a month went by when he wasn't in my office with a fistful of prints at some point. He would also take commissions, involving going to places and taking specific pictures for our publications. Above all, he was easy-going and easy to work with. Not related to the other photographer Morrison, Gavin, who he always referred to as 'Dad'! (CJL)

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, VIA185 said:

Part of the secret of Brian's success was that he was passionate about RAILWAYs, not just steam locomotives. In the 1980s we published a huge amount of his work in Ian Allan books and magazines and seldom a month went by when he wasn't in my office with a fistful of prints at some point. He would also take commissions, involving going to places and taking specific pictures for our publications. Above all, he was easy-going and easy to work with. Not related to the other photographer Morrison, Gavin, who he always referred to as 'Dad'! (CJL)

Agreed, far too many hung up their cameras in August 1968. For a few years at least.

• Agree 2