Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Signals - Present-Day Semaphore, Lights and Repeaters

Great - thanks Steve.

Presumably that gantry had more dolls / arms in its day? Or is it cantilevered like that due to difficulties in stabilising a single post bracket signal? Harrogate was once a fiendishly complicated place to decipher!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Great - thanks Steve.

Presumably that gantry had more dolls / arms in its day? Or is it cantilevered like that due to difficulties in stabilising a single post bracket signal? Harrogate was once a fiendishly complicated place to decipher!

Difficult to say, from the information I've got anyway.  As you say, it is hard to photograph unless you are able to go trackside, so there aren't many pictures of it in books that I've got.  It can be seen in the distance in a picture taken in the early 1950s, on p19 of "Railways around Harrogate Volume 3" by Martin Bairstow - sadly I haven't got vols 1 and 2!  This picture only shows half the gantry, the side which currently has dolls on it, and as far as I can see in that picture the configuration then was much as it is now, except that the Home arm has a Distant below it (above the Sub arm).  Presumably that related to Harrogate South box which was closed in 1981.  The Sub arm controls access to the Middle Road.

• Informative/Useful 2

Ooh - just remembered another well-known one:

WP_20180321_14_20_15_Pro.jpg.65356d82c3362d2ae5953bd3da7dccea.jpg

Ketton crossing 21st March 2018. Last surviving Midland signal on the network?

WP_20180321_14_20_15_Pro_crop.jpg.7148429d44fb9a770181cfe6a11daa3f.jpg

Couldn't get any closer than that (was trespassing in somebody's bit of woodland as it was!) and only had camfone with me so the above crop is the best I can do. I believe it's still there and operational? Perhaps someone on here will have a better photo of it and can give us the latest. A remarkable survivor

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
On 19/07/2023 at 20:17, LNER4479 said:

Ooh - just remembered another well-known one:

WP_20180321_14_20_15_Pro.jpg.65356d82c3362d2ae5953bd3da7dccea.jpg

Ketton crossing 21st March 2018. Last surviving Midland signal on the network?

WP_20180321_14_20_15_Pro_crop.jpg.7148429d44fb9a770181cfe6a11daa3f.jpg

Couldn't get any closer than that (was trespassing in somebody's bit of woodland as it was!) and only had camfone with me so the above crop is the best I can do. I believe it's still there and operational? Perhaps someone on here will have a better photo of it and can give us the latest. A remarkable survivor

For some reason I always thought that was a distant, clearly not.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 24/07/2023 at 10:37, Dagworth said:

Very pleased to have one of my pictures as Signal Of The Day on Twitter today

This puts me in mind of a discussion on a different thread about signals substantially in rear of the junction they control because the feather on G45 controls entry to the up loop, some 719 yards in advance of it.

• Like 1