RMweb

Airfix 14xx - A Family Favourite

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2023 at 19:52, melmoth said:

247 Developments would be a far safer pair of hands: https://www.247developments.co.uk/  I think Brian is on here, so there's a degree of community oversight 😊

Advice was duly taken and a set of lovely 247 developments plates have been applied.

20230627_223202.jpg.e2bc896792ac60a3ca8ab5d7a2ff1eb2.jpg

I am particularly impressed with the smoke box numbers. Very finely etched. 

20230627_223232.jpg.f74f8b823b8da3cc6907f84b409dc372.jpg

Now all that is left is the glazing, coal, coupling hooks and cab roof fitting and handrail, crew...oh and weathering.

20230627_223137.jpg.c2b6fcc5bc0e8ddd60b93c207907fff1.jpg

Since dismantling again for the chassis to be painted the running is still good but very very loud. It will never be quiet but it might benefit from some attention. 

1432s partner rolling stock is coming along also...

20230618_005726.jpg.f83c993bfedc272c509007038ac0786f.jpg

And the home layout proceeds at a relaxing pace...20230626_212044.jpg.acee4fd5602404ee3e75b5f675b877bf.jpg

Edited by westernviscount
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is time to declare 1432 finished in terms of being fully outshopped in ex-works condition. 

20230315_183137.jpg.d2d21d3b20a70cd6d9ef95c2644d4f5e.jpg

Here is how she arrived at the works. I just noticed the rear facing BR lion!

20230708_172624.jpg.e00f51d66e2c0b4d93e795da89eaf657.jpg

As I have slowly proceeded with this model I am so impressed with the original base model. I can't imagine how revolutionary the mechanism must have been in the 70s. 

20230708_172130.jpg.d0b452fb0bd3d4abe23deb05d8325879.jpg

So a list of jobs seems appropriate.

20230708_172149.jpg.c1aecd8790bd1fa0d0321e5b74fd94f0.jpg

Full strip down paint wise (after a ridiculous start

Handrails shaved away and replaced with wire

Smoke hand rail replaced with better profile

Mainly trains detailing bits. Smoke box door etc

Hooks on bunker

Whistle and shield by modelu

Chimney and plates by 247 dev. 

Sprayed halfords mat black

Lamp irons on front

Transfers by railtec

Roxey screw link. Dummy at front. 

New real coal crushed and added to the bunker. 

20230708_172206.jpg.590d1f69920bbe90764afbd8ba20d295.jpg

The smokebox door number makes me very happy. 

I am likely to start a new thread for weathering soon...when I am brave enough. 

Edited by westernviscount
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking good, wv.  The motor in the cab might be even further hidden with the sliding cab shutters fully drawn back; all this needs is a piece of sheet plastic glued to the inside of the cab (larger GW side tank engines had them outside).  If you wanted to be really fussy you could add the handle but it would be quite difficult to see on the model.  

It’s been many years since I owned one of these, but it was an excellent runner (until the p-p-p-pickups p-p-p-packed up), especially after the traction tyre wheelset was replaced.  My current layout has no need for one.  Your detail additions have lifted it, particularly the new smokebox door and the whistle & shield, showing what can be done when the basic dimensions and proportions of a model are correct in the first place.  Mine ran pretty quietly but those old open frame motors were never silent!

Lining with transfers is not difficult, but is fiddly, especially the bunker sides.  You’ll be fine.  

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @The Johnster. I think it's turned out quite nice. I have taken a bit of a knock mojo wise as when I ran it last it was horrendously loud. Smooth and slow but loud!!! Not sure I will be able to put up with it so considering next steps ay the moment. 

I will proceed with 1458 soon. I am going to tweak a few things this time. Lamp irons on the bunker possibly, finer pipework along the sides with better fitments (not just glue!). I am also going to use thinner brass for the steps and perhaps punch some rivets. We will see. 

I am looking forward to doing 1458 out in lined green. Should look smart. 

The layout is coming on nicely (caia road) and I am happy with the a44 coach although I trusted the diagram of the battery box layout too much!!

The trip back to the early 60s continues. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've got a Comet A44 as well, W 256 W in crimson, an actual Tondu allocation (as are all my autotrailers).  If you are happy with the running of your 14xx but find it noisy, it might be worth trying to absorb the sound with foam rubber inside the body, which is acting as an amplifying soundbox.  This could be more difficult to hide than the motor, as you must surround it with soundproofing which will stick up into the visible area of the cab, while of course keeping it clear of anything that rotates and allowing air to circulate around the motor to prevent overheating.  Stuff the foam into any other empty space as well (tanks, bunker, smokebox).

Or of course you could build the Comet chassis kit for it, which will cost you a bit even if you retain the original motor, drive shaft, and gearbox.  But a new motor would allow full cab detail, and lower gearing would further improve the running, and you'd have a full compensation option, and the rear wheelset will swing correctly on curves.  

Good to see this old stager being worked up like this.  With a bit of effort put into it, a very presentable model emerges, and it is arguably the best running and most consistently reliable RTR 14xx yet once you've sorted the pickups, and it's faults are forgivable with a bit of screening of the view into the cab.  It's quantum better than the K's kit!  I'm unfamiliar with the various retooled chassis that have appeared on this model under it's post-Airfix producers, but I can say that my late model can-motor Hornby ex-Airfix large prairie, the one that preceded the current hi-spec model, is a lovely smooth and quiet runner (took a bit of running in, mind, but it's fine now), so that suggests that more recent mechs for this loco should be better as well.  Reports say that this is a bit hit'n'miss in practice, and 0-4-2s seem to be a problem in general for RTR producers, the DJH/Hattons being similarly patchy.  I suspect that, in engineering terms, it is difficult to balance the loco's rigid mech around the trailing driven axle when compensation cannot be employed in volume production for cost reasons. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/07/2023 at 19:45, The Johnster said:

I've got a Comet A44 as well, W 256 W in crimson

Hi @The Johnster. Ithought you might be interested in progress on the a44. 

20230804_221202.jpg.61ed253fbccca27831f382f6b452955d.jpg

20230802_213319.jpg.f2e502f1f419b2f06f931f52a1ec0736.jpg

It is virtually finished but for the glazing on the other side and cab details. I have been photographing and playing with it on my home layout and am at risk of not "crossing the finish line" with it. Must press on tomorrow. 

Whilst playing, I took a few of the 14xx as well...

• Like 9

On 15/07/2023 at 19:45, The Johnster said:

I suspect that, in engineering terms, it is difficult to balance the loco's rigid mech around the trailing driven axle when compensation cannot be employed in volume production for cost reasons. 

Bachmann have demonstrated on their two 0-4-4T - yet more challenging than an 0-4-2T - that a good solution is possible. Make as much as possible of the model forward of the rear driver axle centre from metal, with plastic mouldings to the rear, use a small and light coreless motor in the firebox with the gearbox on the rear coupled axle, put any other tackle such as the decoder socket behind the rear coupled wheel axle centre.

The Bach 0-4-4T's pull in proportion to the weight on the coupled wheels, and because the centre of balance is between the coupled wheels, there is no significant difference in traction in any permutation of forward or reverse running , pushing or pulling; nor  loss of traction on gradients.

So no need for traction tyres, just construct the model from an appropriate materials mix to have the centre of balance within the coupled wheelbase.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have put off weathering a long while on this project. I must say I have never been particularly pleased with outcome of my weathering on locos. I have always used powders and felt they just looked like what they are...dusty plastic locos. 

I have been practising with the airbrush and have for the time being renounced using acrylics as I have never had any success with them. It's me, not them of course! 

20230827_191021.jpg.6fc2e724957c7d52c551a4a636b1940b.jpg

Here I sprayed the underframe area with a mix of leather and blavk enamel throught the airbrush. Then a lighter mist over the body and then further work on the smoke box. The black body area had a further spray of humbrol 32. 

20230828_174354.jpg.c1f86d53e2f98af547cdaa32d1d691c1.jpg

I am going for a heavy amount of weathering so with co.e in with some powders shortly. 

I have also worked on the locos partner vehicle...20230827_155446.jpg.9c7688a6db4217920398caed0568902c.jpg

• Like 7

On 04/08/2023 at 23:25, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Bachmann have demonstrated on their two 0-4-4T - yet more challenging than an 0-4-2T - that a good solution is possible. Make as much as possible of the model forward of the rear driver axle centre from metal, with plastic mouldings to the rear, use a small and light coreless motor in the firebox with the gearbox on the rear coupled axle, put any other tackle such as the decoder socket behind the rear coupled wheel axle centre.

The Bach 0-4-4T's pull in proportion to the weight on the coupled wheels, and because the centre of balance is between the coupled wheels, there is no significant difference in traction in any permutation of forward or reverse running , pushing or pulling; nor  loss of traction on gradients.

So no need for traction tyres, just construct the model from an appropriate materials mix to have the centre of balance within the coupled wheelbase.

Shouldn't really have problems with a 0-4-2T. You just build it rigid so that it's like an 0-6-0T, no need for rotating rear axles as the real ones didn't have them. Don't forget they are smaller than a 57XX so unless you've got significantly tight curves then there should be no problems with it going around curves. K's and Comet both use that method.

With 0-4-4Ts the rear bogie needs to be movable and preferably sprung, that's where the problems occur. Also happens with 4-4-0s but the tender often cures that problem.

The old Airfix model's weak point was the chassis, weak motor and traction tyres. But seeing as they only pulled small trains then that problem was negligible. 

The problems with the recent RTR version of the 14XX was more the fact they were using gear chains and motors that just weren't up to the job. Possibly because the designer was more used to designing diesels and N Gauge models. Maybe it'll reappear again, but I would put my money on someone else making a new one instead. May as well start from the beginning than resurrecting it.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Further to the weathering, I noted some of the fire iron tackle was left on the tanks. 

I made a long shovel from .45mm wire and plastikard pan. 

20230903_175309.jpg.33eb67a4ae1f9b38c9c5b5f029b4b2ed.jpg

This was sprayed with etch primer

20230903_203335.jpg.05e92accf0141fea66903d27a5bd1537.jpg

The shovel was painted with dark grey and gunmetal. It was bent into a used and abused shape then weathered with rust powders. 

20230903_205220.jpg.905ac7f04f02e01d159dbc26199b8286.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for posting this up, it's given me the inspiration to finish my 517 class conversion of a 14xx and to dig another one out for conversion to 48xx for my upgraded autocoach. That's also down to your dad's pickup conversion,

I had my first Airfix 14xx when I was about 12 and it was a disappointing runner from new, although the less said about the awful mixture of points and track it had to deal with the better!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks for posting this up, it's given me the inspiration to finish my 517 class conversion of a 14xx and to dig another one out for conversion to 48xx for my upgraded autocoach. That's also down to your dad's pickup conversion,

I had my first Airfix 14xx when I was about 12 and it was a disappointing runner from new, although the less said about the awful mixture of points and track it had to deal with the better!

Thank you @MrWolf. The 517 class sounds like an interesting project. Have you got a thread? 

I have not previously modelled steam and don't have a great deal of knowledge but I have always loved gwr locos. I also love the late 20th century approach to modelling, as inspired by my Dad. I just think the modelling approach led and still leads to more contentment. Might be a bit zen but I do feel it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I have a similar approach to modelling, as I was hugely impressed with what was going on as a kid in the 80s and I'm using that as well as the latest developments in scenic modelling to create something that I have been meaning to get on with ever since.

My thread is here, it's a bit strange at times but people seem to like that!

Progress on the 517 has been interrupted, but as the nights are drawing in, well, it's on the bench glaring at me!

IMG_20230314_205401.jpg.ae86c722e4f93e7edfb731b39f08f36d.jpg

Cheers,

Rob Wolf 

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I have a similar approach to modelling, as I was hugely impressed with what was going on as a kid in the 80s and I'm using that as well as the latest developments in scenic modelling to create something that I have been meaning to get on with ever since.

My thread is here, it's a bit strange at times but people seem to like that!

Progress on the 517 has been interrupted, but as the nights are drawing in, well, it's on the bench glaring at me!

IMG_20230314_205401.jpg.ae86c722e4f93e7edfb731b39f08f36d.jpg

Cheers,

Rob Wolf 

The 517 is very nice indeed. I like the detail around the splashers.

I had a quick scan of your thread and found some of your earlier shots of this project. It is a very interesting loco. 

My Dad gave me a gwr 0-4-2 "bookazine" from 1987ish (before the term bookazine had been invented) which has some nice shots. 

Your picture has perhaps inspired me to move the tool boxes on my second attempt!