Bachmann sound-fitted WD 2-8-0

Ruston

Evening all,

I had a look and listen to one of these in my local model shop and wasn't impressed. It kept on making a random sound of what seemed to be a Westinghouse pump, even though the loco is meant to be a BR example with vac brakes and no Westinghouse pump. I didn't buy the model, but may do if it can be sorted out.

Is there a CV to disable the pump sound?

It is also supposed to have a brake on F2 but I couldn't tell any difference between simply closing the regulator and allowing it to come to a stop and using the brake. It was also annoying that with the regulator closed it didn't coast far and when it came to a stop, without me using the brake, it still made the braking sound.

Is the fitted decoder a Zimo or an ESU?

On 16/05/2023 at 19:02, Ruston said:

Evening all,

I had a look and listen to one of these in my local model shop and wasn't impressed. It kept on making a random sound of what seemed to be a Westinghouse pump, even though the loco is meant to be a BR example with vac brakes and no Westinghouse pump. I didn't buy the model, but may do if it can be sorted out.

It is also supposed to have a brake on F2 but I couldn't tell any difference between simply closing the regulator and allowing it to come to a stop and using the brake. It was also annoying that with the regulator closed it didn't coast far and when it came to a stop, without me using the brake, it still made the braking sound.

Yes there is a CV you can change to make it a vacuum braked version.  CV167 value 0 will make it vacuum braked, the default setting is air braked with CV167 set to 1.  You can also alter the brake squeals via CV165 - 0-5 different settings.

I think the sound is one of Bachmann's better sound fitted steam locos with a half decent speaker in the tender  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/05/2023 at 19:02, Ruston said:

Evening all,

I've got on of these and have been very impressed with both the sound quality and project as a whole. Haven't got the instructions with me (lunchtime at work) but it tells you how to turn off the airpump sound (which is appropriate to the WD liveried version). The brake key certainly worked on mine too. I think it was originally stated that these would be Zimo fitted but the instruction sheet says its an ESU V5. In my experience Bachmann are good at getting the best out of V5's  - certainly out of the box the running quality of the sounded fitted Brush Type 4 was chalk and cheese to a competitors Deltic. 

• Thanks 1