Anycubic Mono M5 12K Ultra.

Automatic Levelling, 12K resolution, printing speed up to 105mm/hr (requires  high-speed resin),  19um pixel size, 10.1" LCD......

Curse you, special time-limited pre-order special price, that makes it printer number 6.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just remember that going from 4k to 12k is not 3x resolution improvement. Going from 8k to 12k is not 1.5x.

They're actually 1.7x and 1.2x respectively (square root of the pixel count increase).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Not exactly sure why the auto leveling is such a feature, I think I level my Mono x 4K about once every 6 months as and when when I change the fep - and it takes maybe 30 seconds.

48 minutes ago, JimFin said:

Not exactly sure why the auto leveling is such a feature, I think I level my Mono x 4K about once every 6 months as and when when I change the fep - and it takes maybe 30 seconds.

It wasn't a must-have, but it's one less thing for me  to d1ck around with when I get failed prints.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Automatic Levelling, 12K resolution, printing speed up to 105mm/hr (requires  high-speed resin),  19um pixel size, 10.1" LCD......

Curse you, special time-limited pre-order special price, that makes it printer number 6.

Just wondering why you felt you wanted one. Is it because the results from your present printers aren’t good enough, do you see a huge perceived increase in quality with this thing or are you getting one just because you can? (which of course is a very valid reason!)

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, stevel said:

I'm very tempted to get one, but my mono X  is only 6 months old, the speed is what tempts me most.

It looks like you have to use special "High Speed Resin". Does anyone know yet how that affects print quality?

• RMweb Gold
On 25/05/2023 at 19:27, Harlequin said:

It looks like you have to use special "High Speed Resin". Does anyone know yet how that affects print quality?

It does look good

Not sure it would be of use to me though as I’ve switched to Anycubic water-washable resin

Plus I’ve only recently upgraded from a Mono 4K to an Mono X2 so I can’t justify getting another….not yet anyway

I originally upgraded to an M3 but I returned it as it was faulty and it put me off the M series

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, PhilH said:

Just wondering why you felt you wanted one. Is it because the results from your present printers aren’t good enough, do you see a huge perceived increase in quality with this thing or are you getting one just because you can? (which of course is a very valid reason!)

I'm looking at selling  HO scale models of Australian vehicles that I've drawn up in Blender commercially. Such has been the initial demand when I posted up a query about them on Facebook that another printer will be handy. I do have an original Mars and an original Saturn that I have never even unboxed ( I upgraded to the Saturn 2 8K and a  Mars 3 before I had a chance to use them!) so I will sell them to fund a fair chunk of this new one. 

The plan is to print the  lower section of the cars  with interior detail  in grey resin, and the top hollowed out section in clear resin, so 2 larger printers  (The Saturn 2 and this one) will be nice in order  to avoid having to keep swapping out resins.

I have an arrangement with a company that has a J55 colour printer to produce N scale copies in full colour which are really popular, but while it can also do HO the retail cost is mental - about $40 per HO vehicle so I thought I'd offer this paint-it-yourself alternative (and keep all the profits myself!) . 

3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I;ve only seen a couple of reviews of the printer online so far. Uncle Jessie or whatever he's called was positive, another review I read though by I cant remember who was having trouble getting a successful print from it, reverting  to 'ordinary' resin and using the slower settings for that resin fixed the issues.

Personally I wont be taking advantage of the speed,  I'll be sticking to ABS like resin. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This and the Saturn 3 do both look good. The speed increases are interesting, and the price is very impressive. It’ll be interesting to see where the developments take us, resolution can only increase so far, and we’re not far off the point that the screens will represent a very high proportion of the cost of the machine when it fails. 

3 hours ago, njee20 said:

This and the Saturn 3 do both look good. The speed increases are interesting, and the price is very impressive. It’ll be interesting to see where the developments take us, resolution can only increase so far, and we’re not far off the point that the screens will represent a very high proportion of the cost of the machine when it fails. 

I would have given a DLP machine a go instead just to compare but the build volumes are too small for what I need or am now used to.

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, sure they’ll gain traction and we’ll  see big DLP printers, but going back to smaller build volumes than the 6” MSLA printers is a fairly sizeable regression. 

This guy here gave  it a pretty glowing review.

https://www.gamesradar.com/anycubic-photon-mono-m5s-review/

He did bring up one point, the automatic levelling will fix a whole heap of issues that first time users have in getting a successful first print. The forum here and on facebook are always featuring queries from new users  asking  why their printer isn't printing after 2 days of trying  and how they are about to chuck it in. Levelling has always been a bit of a black art and the  fall-guy for any issue so removing it brings the potential issues down to basically resin settings, ambient  temperature and support structure, 2 of which can be tested by printing off the supplied test print they always include on the stick.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

On 01/06/2023 at 12:31, stevel said:

I think I've found my next printer, still in the development stage, and has a kickstarter.

Not far from you. Will they let you save the cost of postage and pick up in person? I have a mate who lives in Kelowna. I'm tempted, but the price is one that has to be budgeted. Not sure I have room to add a line item at that price this year.

2 hours ago, jaym481 said:

Not far from you. Will they let you save the cost of postage and pick up in person? I have a mate who lives in Kelowna. I'm tempted, but the price is one that has to be budgeted. Not sure I have room to add a line item at that price this year.

I'm not on the market for a new printer just yet, having just bought a Mono X a few months ago, but this unit looks very promising. Particularly like the width to depth ratio which suits our hobby well, I also missed the fact they are in Kelowna, so pick up would be cool. 

I'm very tempted also! I have used my MonoX for a few years now its an excellent printer, fantastic results. But I can't help thinking that Anycubic and Elegoo will produce a new Max/Saturn at 12k with the speed increase at some point this year and I would definitely want one of these bad boys! It will probably be a bit larger than the current  printer build plate as well im guessing!

Edited by woko
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I thought this was an interesting review 

Thanks for posting. Seems like an honest review….I think I’ll stick with the Mono X for now and do my usual thing of waiting till new tec becomes old tec and buy at a stupidly reduced price. As I understand it 20k is on the horizon (I think I’ve seen that somewhere) so when that comes out I might dive in to this then. The way these things move on it will probably be the week after next….

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PhilH said:

Thanks for posting. Seems like an honest review….I think I’ll stick with the Mono X for now and do my usual thing of waiting till new tec becomes old tec and buy at a stupidly reduced price. As I understand it 20k is on the horizon (I think I’ve seen that somewhere) so when that comes out I might dive in to this then. The way these things move on it will probably be the week after next….

I completely get where you are coming from Phil, I seem to have a collection of 3D printers now and becoming a bit of a 3D Printer Junkie! I sold 2 off this year as I just don't use them anymore, so now down to 5, and thinking of selling one of those as well! 

As with 8K and now 12K you really don't notice a great deal of difference when comparing prints, I think the speed on the M5s sounds interesting, anything to speed up the prints is a good thing! 

Especially on the larger printers where they deal with serious suction issues! My Anycubic Max and Phrozen Mega are close to 3seconds for a layer cure, and down to the slowest lift speeds to prevent the model tearing or ripping off the build plate! So if they can make this better on the bigger printers im going to chuck my pennies in! Until then i'm happy waiting a day or two for my large prints

;) 

16 hours ago, njee20 said:

Well the Saturn 3 is already 12K, and no bigger than the 2, so you’ll have to wait for the 4 for any extra volume. 

Ahhh yes you are right I mean't the Jupiter will probably be receiving a 12k version at some point, im guessing! 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woko said:

Ahhh yes you are right I mean't the Jupiter will probably be receiving a 12k version at some point, im guessing! 

Agreed, and if the price falls too that'd be even better! The Jupiter isn't quite big enough, couldn't print O gauge bogie wagons in one go.