Cattle docks in the 1950s

I’m currently modelling a cattle dock based in the 1950s, while still in sporadic use I am really struggling to find decent photo to show how to weather. I know that lime wash was prohibited a long time earlier. My question is about weathering and how much staining you would find still left of the lime. 

has anyone got any decent photos or advice from what they have modelled

many thanks

John

DA27E952-6161-4898-81A7-F9C0E675F4CE.jpeg.25f947d85dcf9781877325146048b242.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Limewash was banned before WW1, and given that the dock and setted area was hosed down after each use (apropos of which you need a length of hose and possibly a standpipe in the vicinity), so there would probably not be much trace of it in the immediate area, but possibly residual lime in other parts of the yard and the bottom of the approach ramp, but it would be well blended in with the general weathering. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Distant memories suggest unpainted woodwork and a concrete plinth and drain under the track.

(Concrete posts could be an alternative. The GWR was fond of using old bridge rail for fencing. Some was still in use at Newton Abbot at least until recently.

I recall lines of redundant cattle trucks stored at Tavistock Junction marshalling yard. (My maternal grandparents had a house overlooking the yard. Pleasant memories of falling asleep to the sounds of pannier tanks shunting while visiting on holiday.)

• 5 weeks later...

I don't have photo to hand but look for photographs of Cockermouth station in the 1950s - early 1960s as the cattle docks were beside the platforms and intact until closure in 1966 and can seen in most pictures taken at that time.