M&L LNWR Special DX kit 4mm

I am trying to rescue one of these, aquired via Tony Wright. The person who started the kit was an EM modeller and had decided to widen the running plate by slicing it under the smokebox and under the cab. The gap had been filled with solder and I can't work out where the solder filling ends and the original whitemetal starts.   I haven't got my LNW loco book with me, so if someone could please measure the footplate width on their model (or the LRM version) or supply the dimension from a drawing I would be very grateful.

Alan 

Edited by Buhar
Terminology

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Buhar said:

so if someone could please measure the footplate width on their model

Evening Alan.

I've got one of these kits in the stash. The measurement across the footplate is 28.3mm. Let me know if you need a copy of the instructions.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave, that's solved that.  I have the destructions scanned, useful for zooming in.

Interesting that replacement splashers were offered as they're moulded with the running plate and would need cutting off.

Alan

• Like 1

Is the assumption that the original builder was perhaps using some rather fat Romford wheels in EM and widened it to fit them in? If they used 70 degree low melt solder then putting it into boiling water will remove this and give you back your original parts.

It's been started using both glue and solder, mainly glue.  It's come apart okay with just a little breakage to sort.  The inside of the splashers had been attacked for clearance but it looks like they intended to use Gibson wheels, although there were Markits in the box as well.

The hot water idea may reveal the cuts in the running plate. Although setting a jig to Dave's measurement and getting it straight and square may be more reliable.

Alan

7 hours ago, Barclay said:

Is the assumption that the original builder was perhaps using some rather fat Romford wheels in EM and widened it to fit them in? If they used 70 degree low melt solder then putting it into boiling water will remove this and give you back your original parts.

ISTR that M&L kits used to have Maygib wheels supplied (later Gibson) and they later became part of the Alan Gibson range.

Jason

I built two M&L kits, the LNWR Coal Engine and 5' 6" Radial Tank. Neither came with wheels.

The Coal Engine needed the splashers sides thinning drastically to take P4 wheels. The tender needed widening for P4 (and probably EM too), so was replaced with a George Norton/LRM etched version.