RMweb

Bluish TMD

Phil Mason

And thanks also to TT100 for the great pics.

I see a 'panda' car arrived at some point to investigate the wrecked truck. "We didn't burn it" was helpfully scrawled on the side, presumably by the proprietors of the local shop. Let's hope the same fate doesn't befall these coppers though the 'road men' appear to be preparing to cut through the backscene...

• Funny 1

Eagle eyes! I think my version has them fitted at one end only. I'd forgotten all about it but when I built the MU pair, I was unsure whether to have them permanently coupled with flexible connectors or have the locos separate with unconnected connectors. The former would look better but could be a pain in use. I'm afraid the result is I've done nothing so far. 

I wouldn't look too closely at these things, there'll be various errors. I won't point them out myself until I fix them. And there are no prizes for finding them first! 

Thanks for your interest. 
Phil

14 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Question about 76016 - did it receive it's MU gear later than the others?

I see it's had the front grab handle bent for cables but your version doesn't have them fitted, the real one did have the MU cables later.

• Like 1

Fabulous modeling, capturing the scene brilliantly. I'm pretty sure 76034 had a visit to Crewe works for the MU gear fitting but it didn't get the job finished in one visit and it ran for sometime with the bend in the handrails but no MU jumpers , so maybe that's what happened to your 76016 ;-)

Edited by dave75
Using the same word twice

Thanks, Dave! Prototype for everything? However, as it's set 1980/81, it's more likely that various bits were starting to fall off and not be replaced or robbed for other locos as engines were dumped at Reddish u/s. 

At the end of the day, it's just toy trains and (contrary to rumour) I have a life...sort of. 

I'll try and fix it before York. 

Whisper it quietly, I'm on with N gauge at mo. 

Phil

• 7 months later...

Bluish on the road, today at Belper mrx. Phil invited me to help out and to provide some additional traction in support of his stunning mostly scratch build roster. Some pictures of the day:

IMG_20240323_100557_8732.jpg.95a6f88d3f60d7250af314f2193c8870.jpg

General set up with layout and integral stock display stand over the fiddle yard.

IMG_20240323_100527_0022.jpg.1ccbc95fc60babf9373e3ddae83c3893.jpg

Phil's latest scratch build diesel project hot off the work bench only this week, 37140.

IMG_20240323_100520_6792.jpg.d55de5474d864db78215cc8035c51d2b.jpg

Comparing 37140 and my Lincoln Locos resin cast split box 37099.Both locos finishing based on contemporary photos.

IMG_20240323_124542_9372.jpg.fcb0eb2ce507d80b685a86e08d7af5d4.jpg

On the display stand, 37140 with a modified Airfix 00 crane, another one of Phil's modelling projects. Sitting behind the layout, this view looked good so it was snapped!

IMG_20240323_145952_1182.jpg.6f11f37c39626a0a822da42ccf34db4d.jpg

Everyday scene on Bluish, plenty of 76's action, a Lincoln / Oaks n-rtr 08, Class 50, all Phil's, and a couple of my LL Class 25's.

IMG_20240323_122850_5682.jpg.fe4f19b46bdd56dd162f6aedf8969b21.jpg

The fuel point is Phil's nod to Guide Bridge. His newly finished 37140 is fuelled, my 25125 is stabled while a trio of his superb 76's hum away on the juiced up Reddish side of the layout.

IMG_20240323_150053_3592.jpg.ed043e8d63523516487bd76d1aab900c.jpg

A nice drone view of the overall depot complex, clearly showing the track plan. Plenty of traction, Phils 08, 47, 50 and 76's, with my 25's and 45/1.

It was a super show, very much enjoyed the day helping Phil and Tony in a small way, and thanks again for inviting me to bring some locos to run on the layout. 

Another positive was the the show was very well attended, so that was great news for the Belper club, and I hope the traders all had a good day too.

Thanks to everyone who stopped by for a look and it was nice chatting to some of you. And thanks for all the positive comments about the layout and 3mm scale. Also worth mentioning that we were next to another 3mm layout, David Payne's retro style TT3 layout, so a bit of a 3mm scale enclave! 

Cheers

TT100 Diesels.

IMG_20240323_124542_937~2.jpg

Edited by TT100 Diesels
Deleting duplicated photo
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

Not one but TWO tractors! This would have been unheard of a few years ago but it's about time we had a decent layout for them to stretch their wheels...

Eeek! That 50 looks a nasty shade. I blame old film and printers from the 1960s. It's clearly wrong compared with later models, even my own random colour mixes. 

Perception of colour is relative and depends on ambient light so what might look OK on its own looks different compared with other things. My two eyes see colour differently and many men are partially colourblind. I've heard we don't see colours as brightly or as saturated as women. Well, it's an excuse we can use when blamed for being 'miserable'! 

A great day at Belper. Thanks for the invitation and thanks to TT100 for providing some quality traction as well as the pics above. As Janet Webb would say at the end of Morecambe and Wise: "...it's all been worthwhile.." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to bit of a 3mm 'diesel fest' on Bluish at the York show tomorrow.

There will be various very welcome additions to the fleet and visitors to the shed. It must be sone kind of open day. Expect to see the odd exotic and maybe a bit of time travel. My lords! 

All goes to show how active this scale really is. 

1D83BED7-3C54-4E30-8F05-33D5F69F3B1A.png.84c482fe1e4aa141cfd390bbc4dac534.png

Pic above thanks to Chris Nevard - one that failed to make it into this month's Model Rail article. 

Phil

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I can say York went very well today Robert. I went as a punter, a quality show. Bluish was in the capable hands of Phil and TT Pete, who had a massive stock box of lovely diesels and an electro diesel to supplement Phil's roster. 

Running alternated between sessions of authentic late 70's rosters and "open day" rosters, to show case Pete's locos and showcase what is possible in D&E outline in 3mm scale.

I even got to run Bluish while Phil & Pete went for lunch. I took a few pic from today:

DSCF7252.jpg.484880cebc4d7ebc76612ab5fd98da73.jpg

Authentic running period. Phil's 76's supported by Pete's 24 and 40. Great to see a 40 on Bluish.

DSCF72512.jpg.d38b00eefe4462ad03ccb744b70ca31f.jpg

Remaining pics are in open day / showcasing 3mm mode. Pete's 73 joins Phil and my 08's.

DSCF7247.jpg.20e5b323472f4e0b09e3a65ec4219f41.jpg

Pete's 17 and 33 join the 76's

DSCF7248.jpg.72d08faf10e63d71a04f2bc32102fc72.jpg

Pete takeover bid, 73, 24, 40, 50 and 33. Not sure what's most "rare" traction on Bluish, the 73 or a 26 which appeared during a rail ex last year !

DSCF72502.jpg.d8825cc90917708b6648da28ecae0e28.jpg

Close up of the two generations of EE type 4 traction.

It was a blast today, very enjoyable, 3mm was not only represented by Bluish, but also the exquisite LMS steam outline period Coniston Lakebank layout in 14.2 finescale, not forgetting the 3mm society  stand.

It was nice to meet fellow 3mm RMwebbers, TT Pete and Bradfordbuffer (on the Deadmans Lane team) for the first time in person.

All in all a great day out and a great show overall.

Hope the 3 day show is a success for everyone involved.

Cheers

D.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

I can say York went very well today Robert. I went as a punter, a quality show. Bluish was in the capable hands of Phil and TT Pete, 

It was a blast today, very enjoyable, 3mm was not only represented by Bluish, but also the exquisite LMS steam outline period Coniston Lakebank layout in 14.2 finescale, not forgetting the 3mm society  stand.

It was nice to meet fellow 3mm RMwebbers, TT Pete and Bradfordbuffer (on the Deadmans Lane team) for the first time in person.

All in all a great day out and a great show overall.

Hope the 3 day show is a success for everyone involved.

Cheers

D.

Had a run up today Dave, unfortunately the day after you!

Had a good chat with both Pete and Phil on Bluish, which for me personally was worth the trip alone.....

Had a natter with Graham on Deadmans Lane and also the chaps on the 3mm stand. My dead rail 24 chassis had a quick run out over Coniston Lakebank and proved itself capable on there and yep it seems I'd best get an article written about it for Mixed Traffic as suggested by yourself and now a few others!

Landed home and Mrs Red Devil chucked a few quid my way for my Birthday a month or so back.....I don't really do them now! So I've just ordered a load of gears from China and a class 26 body from Lenny.... All in all a good day. 

I've always rated the York show but this year was definitely worth the effort, trade where you can buy stuff to build things and some very, very good layouts. Anyone thinking about it for tomorrow, definitely worth the trip.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully I will be along tomorrow and will make myself known to the Bluish team and Bradfordbuffer (if he's there) ... may even put on a Society T-shirt for added effect. LoL.

Unfortunately the only runnable diesel I own is one of Geoff's Hudswell Clarke shunters but it's still unpainted I'm afraid.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

Had a run up today Dave, unfortunately the day after you!

Had a good chat with both Pete and Phil on Bluish, which for me personally was worth the trip alone.....

Had a natter with Graham on Deadmans Lane and also the chaps on the 3mm stand. My dead rail 24 chassis had a quick run out over Coniston Lakebank and proved itself capable on there and yep it seems I'd best get an article written about it for Mixed Traffic as suggested by yourself and now a few others!

Landed home and Mrs Red Devil chucked a few quid my way for my Birthday a month or so back.....I don't really do them now! So I've just ordered a load of gears from China and a class 26 body from Lenny.... All in all a good day. 

I've always rated the York show but this year was definitely worth the effort, trade where you can buy stuff to build things and some very, very good layouts. Anyone thinking about it for tomorrow, definitely worth the trip.

32 minutes ago, 03060 said:

Hopefully I will be along tomorrow and will make myself known to the Bluish team and Bradfordbuffer (if he's there) ... may even put on a Society T-shirt for added effect. LoL.

Unfortunately the only runnable diesel I own is one of Geoff's Hudswell Clarke shunters but it's still unpainted I'm afraid.

Regards,

Ian.

All I can say chaps is unfortunately the planets failed to align for an all out meet up at York. Still it gives Phil and co new faces to chat to on each day. 

RC 24 running on Coniston Lakebank...... Absolutely monster, that, bet that raised a few eyebrows, but honestly, fantastic. And as you all say, brill show all round, and certainly getting 3mm noticed.

Cheers

D.

• Like 4

Well that was a bit of a trek, but what a fantastic couple of days! First a big thanks to Phil for inviting me and trusting me operating Bluish, maybe it's small, but it's perfectly-formed and oozes character from every angle with loads of well-observed cameos, on day 2 I was still finding little details I'd missed first time around. 

It was great to be able to put faces to many of the RMweb crew and meeting old 3mm Society friends I haven't seen in years, really made me think that I need to get out more! And thank you for all the kind comments regarding my locos, it was nice to be able to see them running in a fitting environment;

yo1.JPG.10c29fe74a096664d07ece41a8870e57.JPG

yo2.JPG.727be93e0ee255e4c1a147124d5da837.JPG

But total kudos goes to Phil, that fleet of 76's and the EM2 really are the dog's undercarriage. 😃

Thanks again Phil and hope things go well today.

Cheers,

Peter.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

I'm glad everybody enjoyed themselves and thank you for all the nice comments. You really are too kind about what is a very simple 'layout' (shuffling plank, I call it!). 

it's a mixture of old, tried and tested (nay, old fashioned!) ideas but with a few unusual features for TT, or indeed, any scale. 

Tried and tested:

DC control of two independent circuits using H&M 'Duette' 

H&M point motors. 
Peco H0m track. 
Sundeala baseboard on 2x1 frame. 
Held together with coach bolts and wing nuts. 

Relatively unusual:

Electric traction depot. 
LED layout lighting batten. 
LED inspection pit lights. 
Variable brightness LED lights (to balance ambient lighting). 
Illuminated working semaphore. 
Working LED ground signals. 
All rail vehicles and locos scratch built or highly modified. 
Use of a clearly ridiculous track plan to maximise loco shuffling. 

Loco mechanisms from:

Roco

Piko

Tillig

Triang

Berlinerbahn 

Arnold

Geoff Halliwell

What I would do differently (among others) having admired other layouts etc:

Photo backscene.

Society track.

Provide separate power unit for points. 
Only clean track with cotton cloth (not even fibre 

brush). 
Eliminate Triang couplings.

Develop better methods of attaching loco bodies. 
Privide an additional diesel

siding. 
Consider making layout higher. 
Add crews to locos, etc. 

Provide tank wagons with better chassis.

Provide some access to shed without removal. 
Provide more prototype info as part of the display. 

Lastly, thanks to all at York for a great show: stewards, organisers, tea ladies, visitors, layout operators (Peter, Tony and Dave), Model Rail magazine (for featuring the layout just at the right time) and especially all who showed a new or revitalised interest in modelling the 'perfect' scale of 1:100. 

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/04/2024 at 22:47, Phil Mason said:

You really are too kind about what is a very simple 'layout' (shuffling plank, I call it!). 
<snip>

Tried and tested: DC control of two independent circuits using H&M 'Duette' 

<snip>

Use of a clearly ridiculous track plan to maximise loco shuffling. 

<snip>

Consider making layout higher. 

Add crews to locos, etc.

I like the term "shuffling plank" and intend to use it more often in conversation. 😁

Having two independent circuits is a really good idea and I noticed that we often had more motion at any one time than some of the other larger DCC layouts that were effectively operating "one engine in steam".

Ridiculous maybe, but effective, using the headshunt to kick back is more visually engaging and doubles the distance the loco travels in front of the viewing public.

Yes, it could do with being a bit higher, and perhaps some outriggers to stabilise it for when clumsy great hulking operators keep knocking their knees against it and threatening the first airborne class 76.

Adding crews is an interesting one, agreed for a roundy-roundy layout, but on a shuffling plank won't it look a bit weird with stationary locos all fully crewed? Also don't they need to be at both ends given the reversal moves as mentioned above?

Cheers,

Peter

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1