Please help identify this location (possibly Stratford LNER?)

Karhedron

Hello, please can anyone help to identify the location in this photograph? I believe the CWS milk tank is an LNER-built example from the 1930s. The LNER had only a handful of sites that handled this sort demountable milk tank but the tanks were known to work off LNER metals so it could be somewhere else. Here are the places where I know CWS rotanks were handled.

• Stratford
  • Stowmarket
  • John O'Gaunt
  • East Croydon
  • Manor Park

It looks too busy for Stowmarket or John O'Gaunt. Similarly I can't see any 3rd rails so I assume this is not East Croydon. I am am guessing it is Stratford but I am not familiar with the goods sidings there although I know they were once extensive. If anyone can confirm the location for me please, I would be very grateful.

image.png.17bb4bafd0188cfe4915b6ba48ed1561.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The signals and the signal box look very Great Eastern!  The tallest signals are GE lower quadrants, but the nearest ones (upper one behind a sighting board) are LNER upper quadrant arms on a GE post; the ones in the distance look like that too.  Quite likely it is at Stratford, but exactly where at Stratford I don't know.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The location is indeed Stratford. The dock was sited east of the passenger station and accessed from Station Road, on the north side of the station, and led to Angel Lane and on to the CWS facility.

Strictly speaking the Mobile Milk Tank was built by Dyson and owned by the CWS; with only the open carriage truck being provided by the LNER. There were two types of the latter, to provide for the two different types of Mobile Milk Tank, the later type have greater capacity and a longer wheelbase. These worked between the CWS facilities at Stowmarket and Stratford. I believe that may be a Latil (or other) tractor on the dock, these were purchased by the LNER to haul the tanks (there may have been several in one movement) along the roads.

I was unaware of any connection with Manor Park... just to clarify, I was under the mistaken impression that there was another rail-served location there. It was of course  the location of the CWS facility.

Edited by Pint of Adnams
Add clarification.
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

The location is indeed Stratford. The dock was sited east of the passenger station and accessed from Station Road, on the north side of the station, and led to Angel Lane and on to the CWS facility.

Brilliant, thanks so much for confirming that.