Re-Wheeling Hornby Class 86's

Hi all, I've spent the past while undertaking a project to modernise an old Hornby class 86 (R.360 and variants) and whilst most of the needed upgrades have been completed (CD motor new pantograph and so on) Due to the wheelsets I've been un-able to run this on code 75 track, does any manufacture still produce replacement wheelsets for these to run on fine scale track?

My reaction was 'Peters Spares' but it seems they do finer replacements for Lima locos but not Hornby. I thought they did both. 🙄

I have a few 86s & none have given me a problem on code 75. I have adjusted the back to backs on all of them because they were way too tight before. If the locos are derailing through pointwork then b2b adjustment may be a solution.

The other option is Ultrascale. I have not heard them mentioned for a while so I hope they are still trading.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

My reaction was 'Peters Spares' but it seems they do finer replacements for Lima locos but not Hornby. I thought they did both. 🙄

I have a few 86s & none have given me a problem on code 75. I have adjusted the back to backs on all of them because they were way too tight before. If the locos are derailing through pointwork then b2b adjustment may be a solution.

The other option is Ultrascale. I have not heard them mentioned for a while so I hope they are still trading.

The code 75 you're using, is it just the ordinary flat bottom code 75?

7 hours ago, AMD8806 said:

The code 75 you're using, is it just the ordinary flat bottom code 75?

Yes. Peco, both wooden & concrete sleeper. All my pointwork is Peco code 75 too.
I have some C&L bullhead on the layout too, but I've never run an 86 on that section because they don't belong there.

• 2 weeks later...

Strange. I have 8 Hornby Class 86 Loco's and have no problem running them on my Peco Code 75. I have two different generations of the stuff  some of Which is Lima Friendly the other not as the Rail Chairs were changed on the Moulding. None of My Hornby 90's or 91's give me any issues either.

Cheers Trailrage

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 12/07/2023 at 06:30, Suzie said:

they need a lot of weight.

You do..! You get around 65~75% conversion of weight to traction (pulling power) with traction tyres and only 20~25% without.  I recently converted a Lima Class 37 using a full size CD motor, an Ultrascale EM gauge wheelset and added 50g addition weight.  The EM gauge wheelset allows a larger 12V CD motor to be fitted.  post conversion, the loco hauled 6 Mainline Mk1s with ease (total weight 900g) at a scale 90 mph.  For Ringfield type conversions, I measure the weight on each bogie and try to shift weight toward the power bogie end rather than just add more weight overall - lead sheet works well.  Prior to conversion there was 205g on the power bogie and 240g after with the same weight on the dummy bogie of around 200g.  Pulling power reduced from around 135g (65%) to 45g (19%) as measured using a spring gauge. 

Of course, there are not many option for wheel sets for Ringfield drives, just Ultrascale I think.

• RMweb Premium
On 28/06/2023 at 08:12, Pete the Elaner said:

Yes. Peco, both wooden & concrete sleeper. All my pointwork is Peco code 75 too.
I have some C&L bullhead on the layout too, but I've never run an 86 on that section because they don't belong there.

You mean there is no overhead on that section - could always be towed by a diesel. Class 47 or even 40s were commonly used on diversion or power off work. Nothing to say electric trains can't be used on bullhead rail, to my knowledge.

7 hours ago, NFWEM57 said:

Of course, there are not many option for wheel sets for Ringfield drives, just Ultrascale I think.

And Peter's Spares. I've recently obtained a pair of geared wheelsets (£9 the pair, for a Lima 4-wheel motor bogie) and the flanges were finer than I was expecting.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Halvarras said:

And Peter's Spares. I've recently obtained a pair of geared wheelsets (£9 the pair, for a Lima 4-wheel motor bogie) and the flanges were finer than I was expecting.

Alas, I model in EM so not a lot of good..! So for EM /P4  Ultrascale is the only option for wheel sets with gears on the back of the wheel.  However, for my OO gauge refurb and sell they will be ideal.  Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1